The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone know anything about flying a dead body back?

steve spedd

Not the nicest thing to talk about, but my dad was canoeing the river Spey last week up in Scotland and had stopped to have some lunch. Him and his mates were about 4-5 miles from completing the paddle, they had stopped for lunch and had decided to take a little walk up this bank to get a better view of the river and take some nice pics. Well my dad had a heart attack and unfortunately died there and then. Two of the guys were first aiders and straight on to cpr but they couldn’t do anything...

I went up last Thursday to see him and where he died, it’s a lovely spot. I’m gutted and its not yet sunk in yet. I’m not sure how long it will be before it does.

Well my question is i think we want to fly him back from Scotland to Lincoln but i know nothing about how much it costs and who i need to call etc.

If anyone knows anything about this can they please let me know.

Thanks a gutted steve :(

Let me start by offering my condolences, this is terrible news and my thoughts are with you and your family.

If he had life insurance that covered this area or if he had any type of annual holiday insurance then they should be able to help.

We had the same thing with my grand father who died when on holiday in Egypt.

If not, contact BA or BMI directly and they should be able to assist you as they fly the deceased back all the time in civil aviation.

Sorry to hear about this, you have my sympathies.

First of all, you'll need to speak to the Coroners' Officer to find out when they can release the body. He/She will be able to advise you and recommend a suitable funeral director to help you arrange things as you won't be able to anything until a Certificate of Death is issued.

Coroners Officers will be your first point of call. It's up to you to choose whatever funeral director you want so don't feel pressurised into choosing someone - ring around when you are feeling up to it to get some ideas about what they will charge you and go with whomever you feel comfortable with. There is nothing stopping you choosing someone from your area. You may need an Out Of England certificate (not sure on the rules when it's Scotland), but the Coroners Officers will normally arrange that for you and it will be sent to the appropriate mortuary.

Usually the body will be released from the Coroners Officers point of view after the post mortem and the subsequent findings. If nothing is found then it can take a couple of extra days for tests to be run, but try not to worry, this often happens so don't let it get to you or anything. The Coroners Officers will arrange for the death certificate to be issued (around here it's called an B form but may be different in Scotland), this is sent to the registrars for you where you will need to go to officially record the death.

From your funeral directors point of view, they will probably go to collect the body and drive it back, that is how most of the funeral directors work around here. They may subcontract someone else to do it, but they will also be a funeral director, and that is quite common to happen this way as well.

If you want any more advice away from the forum just PM me, I'm a anatomical pathology technician in a mortuary so know how most of this stuff works. Just take your time over things and don't rush into anything, it will eventually become easier for you.

Our condolences to you and your family Steve. Really sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Can't help with the question I'm afraid. Sorry bud.

I think it's a testament to your character that you're doing your best taking the strain off his new wife especially in her condition.