The mkiv Supra Owners Club

problem half solved !

wilkorangerover

Following fitting a throttle position sensor of a mates supra

The car starts fine now and ticks over nicely

BUT

first few times pressing the accelerator is fine but then its hesitent when pressing it really quickly

when engine is running the butterfly valve is closed BUT

the butterfly valve opens when i rev the car, is this correct???

(a fellow supra owner says his pulls shut when he revs his- i cant see the logic in that))

still waiting for a new o2 sensor as well

least iam half way there [COOL][/COOL] (its nice to hear her ticking over sweet again and starting straight up))

Edited by wilkorangerover (see edit history)

i dont see how your engine will run with it shut? it probably isnt shut, itll be open very slightly, the more you open the throttle, the further open it will be untill full throttle = flap fully open.

does it sound like a missfire when you have the problem? perhaps plugs or an air leak if you have changed the idle control valve? can you hear a leak?

jez

when engine is turned of the butterfly opens fully, then when i start up it closes

tbh i havnt fitted my TT engine yet so im unsure what else holds the throttle open or controls anything apart from the idle control valve. a fully open butterfly will certainly stall the engine if there isnt the correct mixture of fuel also being added.

the Idle control valve sit on the back of the manifold. since changing the position sensor, its it sat in the correct position, as there adjustable.

IIRC the sub-throttle sensor is part of the trac control system... which is motor driven. The only thing which controls the throttle butterfly is your foot, or the crusie control solenoid if you have cruise control.

the Idle control valve sit on the back of the manifold. since changing the position sensor, its it sat in the correct position, as there adjustable.

IIRC the sub-throttle sensor is part of the trac control system... which is motor driven. The only thing which controls the throttle butterfly is your foot, or the crusie control solenoid if you have cruise control.

cheers for the advise, what is the correct position??

also first two or 3 revs is fine its after when the hesitence starts :innocent:

going to check to see what my tt6 butterfly valve does :search:

cheers for the advise, what is the correct position??

also first two or 3 revs is fine its after when the hesitence starts :innocent:

going to check to see what my tt6 butterfly valve does :search:

dont know, but i belive there is some sort of set-up procedure for it. TBH, i dont think that would make any difference as I have had mine off several times and made no difference. The trac butterfly will make no difference.

right after a clean and spray with carb cleaner and a ecu reset, the butterfly seems to be working properly

the hesitence is around 1300 revs

In neutral

if i rev gently from tick over it will dip at 1300 revs then rev nicely through the rev ranges

BUT

if i rev the car fast it will sometimes rev ok , but mostly start being hesitent from 1300 and sound rubbish

Edited by wilkorangerover (see edit history)

right after a clean and spray with carb cleaner and a ecu reset, the butterfly seems to be working properly

the hesitence is around 1300 revs

In neutral

if i rev gently from tick over it will dip at 1300 revs then rev nicely through the rev ranges

BUT

if i rev the car fast it will sometimes rev ok , but mostly start being hesitent from 1300 and sound rubbish

i recon its a fueling issue. have you had a new filter lately?