The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why did the supra depreciate so much relatively speaking..)

supra_aero

Just been thinking...

The supra was a near 50K supercar when it came out. The rx7 slightly cheaper around £35k, nsx's nearly £70k (please correect me if I am wrong) and skylines I can't remember ;).

Anyway - I have been wondering why supra values have dropped so much relative to cars such as an nsx and skyline (r34).

Were production numbers of nsx's and skylines significantly less than supras? I know r34s came out a fair bit later so that may explain that models high values still, but nsxs have somehow held their value so well for over 10 years. I know there are far less of them around than supras. But unlike rx7's, their popularity can't be knocked due to poor build quality/rebuild issues.

I understand nsx's are very reliable and have world class performance. So why were nsx's not imported anywhere near as much as supras in the heyday of the 90s. I'd have thought they'd have been as popular as a supra in in the late 90s. Maybe its because it didn't appear in the fast and the furious :D

Did anyone ever look into getting an nsx to shed some light on it?

I ask as I am thinking about it as a replacement for the supra :D, but just got me thinking about residuals..

True, didn't any of you guys from the old school supra club think of buying one? I was too young to even be speculating or looking at the prices.

Even 5-6 years ago were they still significantly more than the supra to import?

Though I must admit 6 years ago if I had to choose between a supra and nsx I'd take the supra everytime. lol

I would love an NSX or an R34...:D

I think the reason for the small number appearing on our shores might have been something to do with neither of them ever having a 'UK model' (afaik) and so as such makes them very difficult to import?

Jurgen will clear this one up for us I think :)

That is true, the supra in my opinion is a victim of its own success.

Its a great car but I want something more exotic.

Is it a victim though? Initially Toyota priced themselves out of the reach of many people and withdrew them from sale etc.

I think the reason for the small number appearing on our shores might have been something to do with neither of them ever having a 'UK model' (afaik) and so as such makes them very difficult to import?

Very interested to know the economics of it. will be interesting

Is it a victim though? Initially Toyota priced themselves out of the reach of many people and withdrew them from sale etc.

That's very true of the uk market, but judging by how many imports we have, it must have sold tremendously well in Japan. I wonder if the uk cars were relatively much more expensive (which wouldn't surprise me). Though Mr T did give the uk cars some valuable extras to be fair.

Be interesting if someone could shed light on this..

Very interested to know the economics of it. will be interesting

That's very true of the uk market, but judging by how many imports we have, it must have sold tremendously well in Japan. I wonder if the uk cars were relatively much more expensive (which wouldn't surprise me). Though Mr T did give the uk cars some valuable extras to be fair.

Be interesting if someone could shed light on this..

I guess they've sold well in Japan, but I believe it's very expensive to put cars of a certain age through the rigorous Japanese MOT. Therefor it's easier/cheaper to bin them and buy something new instead. This then allows opportunities to export loads of them out of Japan.

I guess they've sold well in Japan, but I believe it's very expensive to put cars of a certain age throught the rigorous Japanese MOT. Therefor it's easier/cheaper to bin them and buy something new instead. This then allows opportunities to export loads of them out of Japan.

You are right, my brother said very few people drive old bangers in japan.

Which leads to the q. - where are the first gen nsx's :search:?

Even Jurgen if I recall has imported very few on his website. The same story with importers goes with the r34.

I indeed looked at the NSX option about three years ago. They aren't as quick on the ordinary major A road etc territory that I mostly drive on, they aren't tuneable (unless you have very very deep pockets) and they are flaming tiny inside (I'd say an Mr2 is more practical). They hold their values now because they are rare and because they haven't been bodge modded. There are next to no "show car" varieties dragging the value into the gutter either.

there were UK NSXs - i remember Gazza driving round Glasgow in a red one years ago. (a bit chavvy then :D)

Yep im sure there were UK NSX's They just didnt sell.

A regular on the Japmids club site has had 2 and still brings a stunning mint condition one to our meets on a regular basis. Your right though. they are tiny inside. But they do at least have a spare wheel :p

The supra was a near 50K supercar when it came out.
Wrong. Less than 40k actually.

And that's if you're talking about UK Specs. J-specs were less than half that price. In 2000 a brand new VVTi 6sp cost the Yen equivalent of £20k.

Also, I don't think they made 43,000 NSXs or R34 GTRs

I can see the prices are much higher in Japan for a supra than 4 years back when I bought mine from Tokyo! seems like its only in Uk that the supra is getting cheaper!

Never got my head round the NSX prices though, they do keep they're value very well as well as the R34 GTR!

nsx can be imported very easy but they cost big money plus 22k 25k for manuals..

we sold 3 years back..

as for R34 gtr - there was no model report so it was difficult..

but now you can import anything over:)

I guess r34s will become more common then?