The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People who cycle to work

michael

It does annoy me though when bikes aren't on the cycle lanes. A cycle lane was widened and re surfaced next too a busy coast road in my area it must of cost a fortune. When I then see bikes riding on the road next to it I cant believe it.

Why can't you believe it? If the cycle lane was a better option for the cyclist they'd use it, it obviously isn't (usually poor design or insufficiently long to be worth joining it at either end etc) so they stay on the road.

Real everyday commuting cyclists just want awareness and consideration from car drivers just like motorcyclists, not cycle lanes that slow down journeys and don't arguably lessen the risks of cycling whilst definitely costing tax payers (thats ALL of us) a shed load.

Cycle lanes are in the same league as speed bumps, potentially the majority are against them or don't see the point of them, but the local council has a budget and by god they are going to spend it on any plan they want in the interests of 'safety'

Cycle 'routes' like canal towpath ones or old disused railway lines etc are much better ideas for families to cycle in peace/safety, rather than short sections of cycle lanes dotted around city centres.

By the way while i'm ranting! the thing that makes me laugh most about cycle lanes is they often exist at the side of the road on sections where its wide enough to paint a line a metre or so from the pavement, but then on a narrower section of the same road they just disappear.......

I spose what i'm getting at is don't blame the cyclists for not using cycle lanes and for the cost of them, its a half arsed attempt by bureaucrats to separate cyclists from motorised traffic in the interests of safety, however from the comment on here its plain to see that if you are worried about the dangers of cycling people just don't do it anymore, if you are not worried then you just get on with it. The presence of small sections of cycle lanes will influence neither group to change, only complete cycle routes say between towns etc might.......

i spend a week in majorca training every year and you never get a problem with cars.the only time you hear a car horn is from a distance to worn you that they are coming up behind you.this year in alcudia they closed the roads on a sunday morning for a road race,£2 to enter with full back up.at home i have to race on the a45 at 7pm or at7am on a sunday(not good if santa pod is on) praying some car`s not going to hit me at 70mph.

it wouldn`t anyone thats passed there test to go out and ride for ten miles on a main road every few years just to remind them of the dangers of cars coming within inches of you to save a few seconds.

i feel better now,right i`m off to shave my legs as it`s the first race of the season tonight :)

Who doesn't pay tax?? I think you're making the assumption that all cyclists don't have a car...

Tax is on a per vehicle basis :) Bikes aren't taxed, ergo, cyclists use the road and they don't pay any tax to do it. Mind you, cyclists spend half their time on pavements avoiding red traffic lights as is their god given right so maybe they should get a discount...

Grrrr etc. ;)

-Ian

Insurance for horses? Is that compulsory? Would I be able to claim on it if a horse went out of control (for any reason WHATSOEVER) and damaged my car, the same way in that if another road user (excluding cyclists) lost control of their vehicle and damaged my car I could claim against them.

For that matter what would happen if a cyclist cycled into my car and damaged it? How and against whome would I claim for repairs?

It'd have to be a personal claim in a small claims court.

My mate opened his door as a cyclist was going past, went through his window (Hyundai coupe), smashed it completey he just flew over the door into the road.

Claimed against my mates insurance and won. Fair enough but what would happen if it was the cyclists fault!!

Same as what happens when a pedestrian walks into the road, you could be doing the speed limit driving safely and still get blamed for it.

Anyone on the road AT ALL - pedestrians crossing the road, horses, cyclists, absolutely ANYONE who is on the tarmac should follow the rules, have some form of insurance and tax, be liable for damages etc. That's impossible though obviously but it's not fair for law abiding drivers.

Insurance for horses? Is that compulsory? Would I be able to claim on it if a horse went out of control (for any reason WHATSOEVER) and damaged my car, the same way in that if another road user (excluding cyclists) lost control of their vehicle and damaged my car I could claim against them.

For that matter what would happen if a cyclist cycled into my car and damaged it? How and against whome would I claim for repairs?

Fat chance mate. You, an evil car driver, trying to claim against the pissed cyclist who rode into you while you were stationary? I think you'll find that's your fault. Besides, he swore at you, then rode off and the police didn't want to know. You're insured after all so it doesn't *really* matter.

And you must have somehow caused the horse to bolted for 200 metres, across a junction, and into the back of you. That'll be your fault as well. In fact, I think you need to pay compensation to the other party. Bloody car drivers. It's not like you pay for the road.

-Ian

It'd have to be a personal claim in a small claims court.

Claimed against my mates insurance and won. Fair enough but what would happen if it was the cyclists fault!!

Same as what happens when a pedestrian walks into the road, you could be doing the speed limit driving safely and still get blamed for it.

Anyone on the road AT ALL - pedestrians crossing the road, horses, cyclists, absolutely ANYONE who is on the tarmac should follow the rules, have some form of insurance and tax, be liable for damages etc. That's impossible though obviously but it's not fair for law abiding drivers.

Errrr it was the cyclists fault. Doesn't the highway code say that road users should give parked cars 6ft of clearance or some such.

Errrr it was the cyclists fault. Doesn't the highway code say that road users should give parked cars 6ft of clearance or some such.

Yeah I thought it would've been the cyclists fault but it's a tricky one to judge, I'd say partial fault both ways but it went straight onto my mate no questions.

So i can just get out of my car anywhere and expect anyone not avoiding my now opened car door to foot the bill?

Mate your living in a dream world if you expect cyclists (or motorists come to that) to give 6ft clearance to parked cars.........

.........anyway all the anti bike lot would then be cursing at (or just plain running over!) cyclists going along in the middle of the road and holding up traffic.

as far as insurance goes i`m covered on my house insurance for any damage i do to my bike or to anything else.except when racing.

as for road tax my cars on the drive when i`m on my bike.in the last 6 years i`ve done more miles on my bike then in any of my cars but still pay the same road tax as some rep doing 20 to 30 k a year.

I think bikes should have insurance but its never going to happen. A kid on a bike hit my front bumper by going straight across the road from behind a bush as I was turning into it, it looks grazed now. I wouldnt have any chance of getting money from a kid on a bike to repair my car!

I saw a kid on the pavement, looked about 10, rode straight across a junction forcing the woman in the car that was approaching to (first off - shit herself) slam on the brakes!! She was approaching a T so no way going fast, but if she'd hit him she'd be bollocked for it no end!!

So i can just get out of my car anywhere and expect anyone not avoiding my now opened car door to foot the bill?

Mate your living in a dream world if you expect cyclists (or motorists come to that) to give 6ft clearance to parked cars.........

.........anyway all the anti bike lot would then be cursing at (or just plain running over!) cyclists going along in the middle of the road and holding up traffic.

Hey don't shoot the messenger dude. The idea is that your not suppossed to drive 2 inches from the side of a car for just these vary reasons. Obiviously you have to give way to oncoming traffic. C'mon guys isn't this what they teach us when we're learning to drive nowadays?