The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People who cycle to work

michael

My dad used to cycle 20 miles every day to work. He works in Oxford and we used to live in Wantage. Now he lives in Oxford and still cycles...........I think he's crazy myself.

In fact he cycled from Oxford to Birmingham once...........I asked him why he did that........his response was.........."because I can".............but don't get too excited, he got the train home! :respekt:

i used to cycle 9 miles into work and do a 15 mile long route home.

i used it as training for cross country mountain bike racing, i cant cycle anymore because i get sent all over the country with my job.

of course in an official capacity i would urge more people to cycle to work as part of your companys green travel plan...

I used to cycle to work, but after my son was born I decided it would be a bit shit to die just so I could be a bit healthier and produce a tiny bit less CO2.

This country is not set up for cycling at all. I save it for cycle tracks now.

I think it should be compulsory for all women! Over here in Holland all the women have fantastic ar*es but the food is rubbish so I can only assume it's down to peddling everywhere!!

The UK really isn't setup for cycling. Sure, there are token cycle lanes but they're not thought out properly and seem to be there more to stop people parking and irritate drivers than anything else.

All the kids cycle to school too which means there aren't any muppets in people carriers and 4*4's doing th school run...

Good for anyone that wants to cycle to work and back, but I for one, once finished want to get away from the office the quickest way possible so that tends to be in the Supra!!! :D :D

Besides I play far too much football as it is and my body would probably fall out with me and pack in! :D

Before I had a car I used to cycle 1.5- 2 hours to work and then home again in the evening. Can't believe I used to do it. From Eastbourne town centre to Crowhurst (nr Queensway Hastings) Then I'd work outside doing a physical job all day. I was fit then! Stupid cars and stupid office jobs!

One the one hand - cyclists tend to be fit and healthy if they bike to work and back every day. I'd do it only I don't want to get mown down by a motorised veeehicle. Every single person I asked who I knew biked into work had been knocked off at some point. And sitting on the bus I've seen how close bikers come to dying on a daily basis. So respect to them but I'm not chancing it.

On the other hand - when I'm walking to/from the bus stop (one stop early :thumbs: ) in town, I hate cyclists because they think:

a) traffic lights don't apply to them

b) in fact, any road rules don't apply to them

c) Come to think of it, they can ride on the pavements too, wobbling and weaving in and out of pedestrians.

d) should anyone get in their way while they perform a, b, and c, they have a right to take a haughty attitude because they are bikers, and you shouldn't have been walking in front of them.

Wankers. I make sure I take up as much space as possible in front of them if they are trying to ride on the pavement, and I will not move out of their way. If I'm ever going to lump someone that's annoyed me on the street it's gonna be a cyclist.

-Ian

There was one riding on the road once where there was a cycle lane on the pavement!! It was a 2 lane stretch (by the good companion all you pompey guys, Eastern road side) so I went really close to the pavement to make the point that he should be on the cycle lane - guess what........ he went past anyway, VERY nearly had my mirror off as well!!!

I went really close to the pavement to make the point that he should be on the cycle lane

Unfortunately he is still within his rights to use the road even if there is a cycle lane.

The trouble with cycle lanes in this country is that they are almost always next to a road. And where does all the debris such as broken glass that inhabits our roads end up? Yep, on the cycle lane. I used to try to use them but I don't bother anymore as you end up with so many punctures. Come to think of it I don't bother cycling much anymore!

When I lived in N. Ireland (many years ago) I did alot of racing. Used to do over 14,000 miles a year racing in the UK and the US. Now I'm just another fat b@satrd!!

:(

Used to cycle every day when I lived down south. Don't anymore 'cause the weather is crap up here!

Once chased a white van man who had forced me into the kerb, causing me to come off. Caught him at the next lights and kicked the crap out of his drivers door with my steel toe-caps.

Thats the kind of cyclist I was!!!

There was one riding on the road once where there was a cycle lane on the pavement!! It was a 2 lane stretch (by the good companion all you pompey guys, Eastern road side) so I went really close to the pavement to make the point that he should be on the cycle lane - guess what........ he went past anyway, VERY nearly had my mirror off as well!!!

Cycle lanes suck thats why he wasn't on them. Cycling is slow enough as it is without stopping everytime where the cycle lane inevitably rejoins the road. Its not like there is a way to work for the average cyclist that doesn't involve a vast majority regular roads and its almost certainly far easier to just stick to the roads than use the odd section of useless cycle lane, just cause its there.

I suggest that if you do see another cyclist doing what you did that day (and well done for actually spotting them!) then you move over like i presume you would if for instance a motorcylcist was overtaking?

Yeah I think I'm just pissed off with everyone on the road at the moment!!! Cos I live on Hayling Island and get horses (season seems to be just starting now - great) riding about all over the place. I don't care any more I just drive past them - I leave a lot of room but don't slow down or clutch to reduce the noise or anything - it's their own stupid fault if the horse bolts!!!

And I now seem to feel the same about everything, cyclists are too slow they shouldn't be on the roads (saw one going over a dual carriageway the other day, where 2 lanes merge he had to cross the 2 merging lanes to get to the hard shoulder!!!!).

I'm turning into a git on the roads really, I should calm down, I know it's not the cyclists fault (I do blame horse riders though - get some bloody road tax if you want to use the road that I'm paying for!!!).

Yeah I think I'm just pissed off with everyone on the road at the moment!!! Cos I live on Hayling Island and get horses (season seems to be just starting now - great) riding about all over the place. I don't care any more I just drive past them - I leave a lot of room but don't slow down or clutch to reduce the noise or anything - it's their own stupid fault if the horse bolts!!!

Wow, nice statement :twak: I don't like horses on the road either, but a horse bolting can have serious consequences, for the horse, the rider and other road users.

Wow, nice statement :twak: I don't like horses on the road either, but a horse bolting can have serious consequences, for the horse, the rider and other road users.

Surely they understand the risks taking a horse on the road though? If your horse doesn't like loud noises and tends to get jumpy, would you ride it down city streets? Therefore I stand by my logical assessment that it's their own fault. (NB I said logical not emotional, I'd feel really bad if I caused an accident like that :cry: )

Surely they understand the risks taking a horse on the road though? If your horse doesn't like loud noises and tends to get jumpy, would you ride it down city streets? Therefore I stand by my logical assessment that it's their own fault. (NB I said logical not emotional, I'd feel really bad if I caused an accident like that :cry: )

Tottally agree. Same round my way too. It's not like there's a lack of fields either. The worse thing for me is that on a Sunday morning the local Gypsie clan come down and have cart races up the dual carrage way. And i mean one on one side and one on the other facing the oncoming traffic. If they want a race I'LL give them a race.

I would like to cycle to work but don't. When I was younger doing paper rounds before I had a car I used to cycle all the time. Now I would like too but I'm too aware of the dangers which puts me off hugely,plus I don't want to get all hot and sweaty before getting to work.

It does annoy me though when bikes aren't on the cycle lanes. A cycle lane was widened and re surfaced next too a busy coast road in my area it must of cost a fortune. When I then see bikes riding on the road next to it I cant believe it.