The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mk2 Golf Gearbox

Stonkin

What is it? GTi? If not, may i suggest that you put a GTi box in, if possible... Mk2/Mk3 Gearboxe's (non GTi) are very weak! I went through 3on my 1.8 Driver, and in the end put a GTi one in.. still going strong i believe!

FWD Gearbox are pretty simple to be fair... make sure you got a jack under the sump (with wooden block) before you undo gearbox mount, and let in down gently and she should slide out pretty easy

One awkward thing on a GTi too (if it is :p) is the Downpipe 'bolts' ... they're very strong springs, DON'T touch them ;)

You might have to remove lower joints to get the driveshafts out too :thumbs:

Well actually its a bit of an odd car. Its a MK1 cabriolet with a supercharged G60 engine that has had the supercharger and few other bits uprated by Jabba Sport, but i believe it currently has a MK2 8v gearbox which has blown reverse, 2nd and 4th. Its my best mates car and he now has a MK2 16v box to go in :)

If I remember the o2o 16v gearbox (Mk2 16v were all linkage change - they went to cable change on the MK3) had a different size spline to the 8v one for the clutch. I remember I got supplied an 8v clutch for my 16v and the spent ages trying to get the gearbox back on, and it wouldn't go. Just check the clutch fits ok before trying to put it on. I could be wrong it was a fair few years ago now!