The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official F1 2009 thread. *may contain spoilers*

Nic

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we all understand that, question is why not offer the full points regardless of the race distance?

i dont get this stupid rule either, i mean what does it matter .:blink:

and why race at that time when they knew it was going to rain, perhaps bernie thought it might give the ferraris a chance

Something to do with that they can't award full points if a full race hasn't been run.

But I agree, if there's no plan to race the remainder of the race - and there's not - then it's effectively a completed race and points should be awarded as such.

Stoopid FIA, stoopid McLaren ...

Think we all understand that, question is why not offer the full points regardless of the race distance?

That's obviously because the individual teams device their race strategy including fuel loads, tyres and pit stops etc around an expected race distance which was not anywhere near completed.

The more reliable, better cars and superior drivers normally stay on the track for longer, a short unexpected race distance won't reward them like it should. Therefore I don't think it would be right to award full points.

The teams also all knew with a good degree of accuracy that there was going to be a deluge of rain a certain number of laps into the race and this would more than likely mean that the race would be abandoned.

A team could even device their own race stategy accordingly so they were leading the race when this downpour occured, this would also be unfair.

That's obviously because the individual teams device their race strategy including fuel loads, tyres and pit stops etc around an expected race distance which was not anywhere near completed.

The more reliable, better cars and superior drivers normally stay on the track for longer, a short unexpected race distance won't reward them like it should. Therefore I don't think it would be right to award full points.

The teams also all knew with a good degree of accuracy that there was going to be a deluge of rain a certain number of laps into the race and this would more than likely mean that the race would be abandoned.

A team could even device their own race stategy accordingly so they were leading the race when this downpour occured, this would also be unfair.

There is some logic in what you are saying, however lets not overestimate the accuracy of the weather information that they have access to (they now use ONE source rather than each team using their own method).......look at Ferrari :D

Anyway, still think the rule serves no purpose whatsoever.

however lets not overestimate the accuracy of the weather information that they have access to (they now use ONE source rather than each team using their own method).......look at Ferrari :D

You would have thought they would have some team members with radios on the land which surrounds the circuit to give them an early warning aswell.

It's all going wrong for Ferrari. :D

Do you think that David Ryan fell on his own sword to protect Lewis?

Better someone from the team getting shot rather then their no1 driver?

Dave, we'll suspend you. Go and sit in your luxury home for a few months on full pay until this blows over.. :)

Do you think that David Ryan fell on his own sword to protect Lewis?

I've had to have a think about this . :eyebrows:

As far as Lewis was concerned he finished fourth and I can't see him freely making the statement below and then an hour later having the guile to tell the race stewards something blatantly different without his teams knowledge :shock: in order to be awarded third place. It's just something he wouldn't do on his own.

a. Immediately after the race and before Lewis Hamilton attended the Stewards Meeting he gave an interview to the Media where he clearly stated that the Team had told him to let Trulli pass.

David Ryan made the big mistake of telling Lewis to slow on the radio and let Trulli past and he was trying to get their genuine third place back again by getting him and Lewis to tell a few porkies.

Even Martin Whitmarsh has said that he doesn't think Hamilton told the truth to the stewards. But as Ryan was the lead in the discussions he took the fall.

I think the "just obeying orders" line that Hamilton used has worked in the past. :)

Even Martin Whitmarsh has said that he doesn't think Hamilton told the truth to the stewards.

Hamilton has already admitted in a press conference that he didn't tell he truth.

Official press release, Stewards Decision - Australian GP

During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the Stewards and the Race Director questioned Lewis Hamilton and his Team Manager David Ryan specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake. Both the driver and the Team Manager stated that no such instruction had been given. The Race Director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so

I very much doubt that Hamilton would change his story completedly after an hour without being told to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Not an unexpected decision at all.

How long will it take for the other teams to change their cars, obviously they would've started the design process a few weeks ago now but changes to the gearbox and suspension are likely to be needed to accomodate the new diffuser design?

How long will it take for the other teams to change their cars, obviously they would've started the design process a few weeks ago now but changes to the gearbox and suspension are likely to be needed to accomodate the new diffuser design?

Red Bull are going to be the team to struggle the most as they've gone for a different suspension rod setup than all the others! Shame really as Vettel has been showing promising pace.

Edit : It's pull-rod suspension, rather than a traditional push-rod. Interesting to see that Newey was indeed one of the most vocal protestors to the diffuser situation too :)

I believe RBR are in the worst position as iirc the rear of their car is designed around the diffuser, so they woudl have to go back to the drawing board for the whole rear end.

That's the good and bad thing about Adrian Newey though. He can pull something miraculous out of the hat - I still RBR could win a race this season, on merit.