The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official F1 2009 thread. *may contain spoilers*

Nic

Dont think we know all the facts of why and how Button ended up at McLaren and think the playing field is virtually level now that re-fuelling is out.

As for those that think he is greedy, etc - get real would be my reply. The guy deserves to get paid cause not only is he one of the better F1 drivers on the circuit with huge marketability; he is also a World Champion now. I would be seriously pissed if another F1 driver was getting paid twice or even thrice as me simply due to their nationality.

I heard JB is on half of what LH is on 7mill to 14mill for LH:blink: could have got me for 3:d

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard JB is on half of what LH is on 7mill to 14mill for LH:blink: could have got me for 3:d

Rumours are that he is on twice what Brawn were prepared to pay for him, not to mention that Brawn were only giving him a years contract. Talk about taking the piss.......you have a long serving loyal and now world champion and this is how they treat him.

Good on him for sticking two fingers at them......I truly hope that the two champions get on well together and win both championships next year by keeping the red car at bay.....(that will be the real threat).

Really gutted about Kimi not being in F1. That is a real shame.

Rumours are that he is on twice what Brawn were prepared to pay for him, not to mention that Brawn were only giving him a years contract. Talk about taking the piss.......you have a long serving loyal and now world champion and this is how they treat him.

Good on him for sticking two fingers at them......I truly hope that the two champions get on well together and win both championships next year by keeping the red car at bay.....(that will be the real threat).

Really gutted about Kimi not being in F1. That is a real shame.

Yep seem to remember happend to nigel mansel & damon hill, no loyalty from the bosses, lost a lot of respect for Williams after that

Some quick facts which may help.

1. MercGP/Brawn offered £4m + ability to sell own image rights...could be worth another £4m but it's up to him to make it happen. I believe it's a 1 year deal.

2. McLaren have offered £6m per season but no image rights freedom. Deal is 3 years long with the MP4-25/26/27 are all likely to be killer front running cars.

3. JB is privvy to knowing where MercGP are going with their 2010 car and how the MP4-25 is shaping up...it will have coloured his judgement.

IMO JB is right to secure his longterm future.

Also IMO, LH & JB is very different to LH & FA. If you think about it; LH wasn't an exWDC when the reigning WDC, FA, arrived. Lewis was new and unproven, and shocked FA. FA is Latin (temprament), and used to teams being built around him...it was disasterous mis-management... This time we, and Button, know the score, his eyes are open to the challenge...and seems to up for it. I actually think this is a good thing for Button, he can only raise peoples opinion of his driving ability. So many people still doubt his speed and ability despite the WDC. If he matches/just loses to or beats Lewis, it will shut everyone up (and he has 3 years to do it). If he loses heavily he can run for 3 years as a team player and retire quite well off safe in the knowledge that he has won the ultimate drivers prize already...

Also IMO, LH & JB is very different to LH & FA. If you think about it; LH wasn't an exWDC when the reigning WDC, FA, arrived. Lewis was new and unproven, and shocked FA.

Just to add, FA was a DOUBLE world champion.

EDIT: he still is :) and FA had very big eyebrows.....:p

Also IMO, LH & JB is very different to LH & FA. If you think about it; LH wasn't an exWDC when the reigning WDC, FA, arrived. Lewis was new and unproven, and shocked FA. FA is Latin (temprament), and used to teams being built around him...it was disasterous mis-management... This time we, and Button, know the score, his eyes are open to the challenge...and seems to up for it.

I love the way you brought the stereotype brush out with the latin temperament comment. I know some very chilled latin people. Emotionalist ;)

I'm a JB fan but it's going to be interesting to see how he handles the McLaren pressure cooker; let's be honest, he came close to cracking in a relatively relaxed team at the end of last season. It's also going to be interesting to see who throws the dummy out of the pram 1st in the JB/LH mix. As for LH/FA fiasco, there's more to that. McLaren have a history of bad driver management, think back to the square jaw and Hakkinen days. Coulthard has commented on the favouritism and bad driver management within in the team many a time.

Would be great to see Schumi racing again, much as I hate the bloke, he's one of the best drivers of this era and a joy to watch race.

I sense a big Germany vs Britain fight coming up in 2010, either way it should be great to see how it plays out. Just hope they all have competitive cars!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8427552.stm

hopefully he shows up Rosberg. Whilst rosberg has done OK I've never thought he's excellent.

Will be good to see him mix it with alonso again and I bet hamilton is cherishing the possibilities