The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official F1 2009 thread. *may contain spoilers*

Nic

I think Button is a bit of a slimeball leaving Brawn, I know it is all about the dinero, however without Brawn he would have been out of the sport last year. He has taken what he can, won and gone 'sod ya, I'm outta here'. Not impressed with him.

I've seen some comments about the fact that Button will now be 2nd driver since Hamilton is the fastest driver out there when he has a car to match!

What a nice thank you to those people behind the scenes who put the REAL hardwork in.

I dont agree with that really. Rather then stitching the team with a contract that was already signed for £8million a year and demanding to be paid off, he took a pay cut to £3million to race and carry on with the team, yes he would of been out the sport but he made cut backs (in F1 terms), paid his own flights etc...

He's now world champion and not even asking for what he was meant to be paid this year, when other world champions are getting similar.

Also Rosberg was on £8 million a year at williams, wonder what hes on at Mercedes, i dont expect it to be less then £5million and closer to the £8million

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Button is a bit of a slimeball leaving Brawn, I know it is all about the dinero, however without Brawn he would have been out of the sport last year. He has taken what he can, won and gone 'sod ya, I'm outta here'. Not impressed with him.

Not much Button could do unless he miraculously changes his nationality and loses his sense of humour overnight....

I don't agree Gav; it's about security and future potential and the money...

£6m a year for 3 years is a lot better than 8m once. 3years of F1 racing vs. 1...

McLaren have a proven front running team, and the development rate last year was simply staggering. I don't think MGP can repeat the last year, and I think Button knows that too, after all he's been there long enough to know.

http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/press-releases.php?article=383

“It’s always a difficult decision to leave a team when you’ve been there for so long. But life is all about challenges – and, most important of all, it’s about challenging yourself. So, although I won the World Championship with Brawn GP last year, and I’ll never forget that, I was always adamant that I wanted to continue to set myself fresh challenges.

“So that’s why I’ve decided to join Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. You can’t help but be affected by this team’s phenomenal history. McLaren is one of the greats of world sport, and its achievements and list of past champions read like a Who’s Who of Formula 1 – Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt, Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and of course my new team-mate Lewis Hamilton. I’ve followed the McLaren team ever since I was a small boy, and it feels unbelievable to finally be a part of it.

“When I visited the McLaren Technology Centre earlier this month, it wasn’t simply the technical resources and the incredible standards of excellence that impressed me. No, I was equally struck by the ambition, the motivation and the winning spirit that flow through everybody there. And then there’s the team’s epic history: put it this way, the trophy cabinets seem to stretch for miles.

“From a personal point of view, it’s also a great pleasure to be joining a fellow British World Champion. Lewis has achieved an incredible level of success in a very short period of time, and he’s a wonderfully gifted driver who has earned the respect of every Formula 1 driver. I’m sure there’s plenty that we can learn from each other, and I’m really looking forward to using our combined knowledge to push the team forward.

“Also, I think it’s fantastic that we’ll be forming an all-British line-up. I know that we both fly the flag with pride, and I sincerely hope we can make the whole of the United Kingdom, as well as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes fans across the world, proud. Nothing means more to me than to be able to represent my country, and I’m looking forward to both of us painting Formula 1’s circuits red, white and blue for many years to come.

“While I’m fully aware that there’s a tremendous amount of hard work ahead, I’m absolutely certain that Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will be able to deliver where it matters: on track. I’m already looking forward to starting work with the engineers at the McLaren Technology Centre as we begin our preparations for the 2010 season – and the defence of my world championship. This is a team that always goes racing to win, and I’m looking forward to being part of that.

“Last but very far from least, I want to say that the 2009 season will always have a special place in my memory, and I’m absolutely sure that everybody at Brawn GP who worked so hard to achieve our World Championship successes feels exactly the same way about it. Equally, I want to thank the guys at Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines, without whom we’d never have been as competitive as we were. I’m so pleased that I’ll still be using their engines in 2010 and beyond.

“So I wish all my old Brawn GP mates well in their new Mercedes Grand Prix adventure, just as I hope they’ll wish me well in my new Vodafone McLaren Mercedes adventure.”

How much of that was Jensen's thoughts and how much was written by McLaren's marketing department?

Why can't someone just be happy to go there?! Amazingly enough he won't have written that press release ;) He'll have been interviewed by the PR team and that is what he will have said.

You dude.

lol - how did I do?

I think this isn't a bad move on Button's part.

If he beats Lewis, he's a god, if he loses well...so what? Alonso was beaten too afterall and no-one says he's rubbish.

As for Brawn/MGP what did they expect? They dithered and messed about tried to play hardball and lost. Rosberg and Heidfield at MGP won't be as strong a line up...but this will allow Rosberg to be no.1 there which is good for him, it will be good for NR to get some race wins finally...just gutted that Williams c0ckedup giving him that oppertunity while they had the DD advantage.

lol - how did I do?

If he beats Lewis, he's a god, if he loses well...so what? Alonso was beaten too afterall and no-one says he's rubbish.

As for Brawn/MGP what did they expect? They dithered and messed about tried to play hardball and lost. Rosberg and Heidfield at MGP won't be as strong a line up...but this will allow Rosberg to be no.1 there which is good for him, it will be good for NR to get some race wins finally...just gutted that Williams c0ckedup giving him that oppertunity while they had the DD advantage.

Now that I have removed my foot from my gob, I'll comment with some understanding :)

I personally think it is a bad move for Button, he won this year simply because he had the better technical advantage. He may be #1 next year as far as championship goes, but Hammy is the better driver by miles. In the same car Button will simply be the #2 driver for the team.

lol - how did I do?

Just fine! heh

In fact, people keep going on about how reliable and consistent Alonso is.

I think it's a good move for everyone - and I can't wait to see how it pans out!

As annoying as EJ is, his info is normally good...

Pundits however remain unconvinced that Button’s McLaren move is the correct one with Eddie Jordan claiming that the 2009 champion may have had no choice other than the McLaren option.

“We’re all assuming that Jenson had the opportunity to drive at Brawn,” began former team boss turned BBC pundit. “I don’t believe that is the case and my inside information is that (new team owners of Brawn) Mercedes released him and advised him to seek employment elsewhere.”

Why can I feel another Alonso/Hamilton type bitch fest coming on when Button joins McLaren. I think it's a good move for Button from a monetary point of view, but as a fan I can't help but feel a little cheated. It was the combination of Button's loyalty to an underdog team while sticking it to the big boys that made it appealing to me. Still, if he's happy handling the stress of playing 2nd fiddle to Lewis, then good luck to him.

I personally think it is a bad move for Button, he won this year simply because he had the better technical advantage. He may be #1 next year as far as championship goes, but Hammy is the better driver by miles. In the same car Button will simply be the #2 driver for the team.
Rubbish thats why he drops it when hes not under pressure & drive up the back of people, no re-fueling thats going to favor JB, looking forward to the sulks when LH gets beaten by his team mate:D Unless uncle Ron puts his oar in to keep JB no 2

Dont think we know all the facts of why and how Button ended up at McLaren and think the playing field is virtually level now that re-fuelling is out.

As for those that think he is greedy, etc - get real would be my reply. The guy deserves to get paid cause not only is he one of the better F1 drivers on the circuit with huge marketability; he is also a World Champion now. I would be seriously pissed if another F1 driver was getting paid twice or even thrice as me simply due to their nationality.