The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official F1 2009 thread. *may contain spoilers*

Nic

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'd blend in too well, F1 needs characters like him, people who aren't afraid to race a bit, people who fight back instead of waiting for the next pit stop.

JP Montoya was great for that I think. I loved watching the starts of the races he took part in wondering who'd be the first person he'd take out. He had no fear of mixing it with the best of them and he was all the better for it I think.

Still wish they brought back turbo charged engines, with limiting aerodynamics and having more power on tap than grip and remove TC would make driving an F1 car a lot harder to manage I think.

Think the lack of fuelling will not bring enough excitement just like the seasons they tried with no tire changes.

JP Montoya was great for that I think. I loved watching the starts of the races he took part in wondering who'd be the first person he'd take out. He had no fear of mixing it with the best of them and he was all the better for it I think.

Juan Pablo Montoya was one of the most entertaining drivers of the current generation. Raw speed, agression - often mischanneled, and a do-or-die attitude to overtaking. He was great to watch, and was great in the interviews - a true character. When he was in a front-running car, I loved him mixing it with Schumacher.

Still wish they brought back turbo charged engines, with limiting aerodynamics and having more power on tap than grip and remove TC would make driving an F1 car a lot harder to manage I think.

Isn't TC gone already? I don't like the turbo in F1 idea anymore, the whole N/A noise is superb. But, I do think they should just say "Your max engine capacity is this .... Now, go away, build an engine". We'd see 2.4 V6's, S6's, V8's maybe V10's. Who knows. Variety is needed.

Think the lack of fuelling will not bring enough excitement just like the seasons they tried with no tire changes.

I'm not sure, the start of the race will be massively heavy on tyres, so it's all down to management - those who manage best get the results... This was a good season, lets hope the next one is better!

Isn't TC gone already? I don't like the turbo in F1 idea anymore, the whole N/A noise is superb. But, I do think they should just say "Your max engine capacity is this .... Now, go away, build an engine". We'd see 2.4 V6's, S6's, V8's maybe V10's. Who knows. Variety is needed.

I could be wrong, maybe you are right with the FIA ECU that TC has gone, I admit not hearing the backing off burble of it kicking in much this year.

I don't think we'd see much variety in basic engine layout due to aerodynamic shapes and also restricted dimensions of the cars. Renault's 111? degree V didn't work did it?

I'm not after that unrestricted a rule, because again the heavy hitters would get into exotic R&D, you have to limit it to a certain set of rules or a decent budget otherwise small teams or OEM engine manufacturers will suffer. Something like a 2.0/2.4/3.0 turbo with 6 cylinders (V or S or boxter) allowed and only allowed to be made out of a list of known materials.

I'm not sure, the start of the race will be massively heavy on tyres, so it's all down to management - those who manage best get the results... This was a good season, lets hope the next one is better!

See when there was tire management it becomes too civilised, haire and tortoise kind of style. It doesn't allow those with good car control on the ragged edge (like JPM, Hamilton etc) to flourish. I think the only driver on the grid which will benefit will be Button. This I think will bring too much of a calculating, strategic effort rather than someone who can control a vehicle at the pinnicle of technology and manage it when conditions start to deteriorate (like grip) rather than keeping within a performance envelope to avoid detrimental effects.

It's like rallying - those boys are flat out 100% of the time, you never see a rally driver slowing down to save the tires or suspension, they'll work around an issue or drive a car on 4 wheels but 3 tires and manage what's happened and get to the finish.

Guess I'm after more action racing, rather than making it more of a waiting/managing resources game.

I could be wrong, maybe you are right with the FIA ECU that TC has gone, I admit not hearing the backing off burble of it kicking in much this year.

I don't think we'd see much variety in basic engine layout due to aerodynamic shapes and also restricted dimensions of the cars. Renault's 111? degree V didn't work did it?

I'm not after that unrestricted a rule, because again the heavy hitters would get into exotic R&D, you have to limit it to a certain set of rules or a decent budget otherwise small teams or OEM engine manufacturers will suffer. Something like a 2.0/2.4/3.0 turbo with 6 cylinders (V or S or boxter) allowed and only allowed to be made out of a list of known materials.

See when there was tire management it becomes too civilised, haire and tortoise kind of style. It doesn't allow those with good car control on the ragged edge (like JPM, Hamilton etc) to flourish. I think the only driver on the grid which will benefit will be Button. This I think will bring too much of a calculating, strategic effort rather than someone who can control a vehicle at the pinnicle of technology and manage it when conditions start to deteriorate (like grip) rather than keeping within a performance envelope to avoid detrimental effects.

It's like rallying - those boys are flat out 100% of the time, you never see a rally driver slowing down to save the tires or suspension, they'll work around an issue or drive a car on 4 wheels but 3 tires and manage what's happened and get to the finish.

Guess I'm after more action racing, rather than making it more of a waiting/managing resources game.

Or, govern the budgets, with no cap on anything engine/chassis wise. Let them produce what they want, and be limited only by budget. You'd see many strange paths being undertaken.

They need to reintroduce mid-season testing though, so that teams who have to employ test-drivers (Ferrari/Force India/Toyota), can get some miles under their belts. 2 days testing per month with 4 nominated drivers. Two race, two test drivers.