The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official F1 2009 thread. *may contain spoilers*

Nic

FP2.

P1 Sutil 1:23.924

P20 Fisichella 1:25.543

You can buy T-$#@!s that say "better a bad day on the beach than a good day in the office" I wonder if the same goes for Ferrari against FI?

How much of a different animal is it jumping from one car into another and being quick?

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually can you? Does your team get a million pounds per point prize money or something?

Eddie Jordan mentioned that for every place higher in the constructors championship it was worth another few million. FI are now above Torro Rosso.

Sorry I've only just seen this.

To be honest it's all part of the Concorde agreement, which only the Team principles and maybe the company directors have the privilege of reading as it's confidential, but it's thought to be a certain number of million pounds per point.

That said, it's well known that unless you score a point, you have to pay for your own transport for all the team and equipment and that in itself can range into many houndreds of thousands of dollars.

Then there will be clauses with sponsers that are based upon points.

There's also usually clauses in drivers contracts that say "if you don't score a certain number of points by a certain date then the driver can walk" or something similar.

On a personal level, we get a bonus that is determined on our championship position, but it's not really about that. When we were Jordan, we had a points bonus scheme, so each employee would get something like £30 for every point scored. We came second in Australia in 1999, I remember it very well but I couldn't tell you what I spent the bonus on. Just having the points is far more rewarding than the cash.

Most of all though, it's knowing that we're not a bunch of idiots that don't know what we're doing. We're genuinely competing with (and beating some) of the massively larger funded teams, and we're doing it with half the staff. I can't tell you how satisfying that is! ;)

How much of a different animal is it jumping from one car into another and being quick?

Massively different by the looks of it. Fisichella was generally 0.2 secs slower than Sutil, so if he stayed with us he'd possibly have put it in second.

Liuzzi put it in 12th place on a 1:24.921 and was on a lap which would have seen him about 7th/8th but got held up by Kubica on the last corner, but then if's and but's don't win races. :shrug:

The car weights.

I haven't got a clue who's favourite.

It's always nice to be at the front of the grid but not so good when you've got less fuel.

Mclaren said it may rain a little during the race too.

1. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 653.5kg

2. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 655

3. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 662

4. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 683

5. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 688.5

6. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 687

7. Vitantonio Liuzzi, Force India, 679.5

8. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 677.5

9. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 682

10. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 683

11. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 703

12. Romain Grosjean, Renault, 699.8

13. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 697.5

14. Giancarlo Fisichella, Ferrari, 690

15. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 697.5

16. Timo Glock, Toyota, 709.8

17. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 706.2

18. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 708.6

19. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 706

20. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 706

Brawn's, on Q2 pace, are looking ominous, if they can hold station off the line.

I think both FI's should score points which will further cement their position in the standings. I don't think the KERS cars will be as fast in the race as they are in Quali trim due to 2 things.

KERS Quali lap is double boosted - off the parabolica on their warmup lap they boost towards the start and finish line...then as they cross the line they get another 6.67secs of boost to use over the actual qualifying lap. This can't be reproduced over the race so they loose that advantage.

2nd'ly McLaren have said the braking zone's arn't big or frequent enough to recharge the system fully so they can only get an 80% charge every lap.

With this in mind it means that FI was actually on pole, if the double boosting wasn't possible. I think McLaren and Ferrari will slip back in the race.

Brawn and FI to fight it out for first IMO.

Fair play to Hamilton for trying so hard. I don't think anyone can really knock him for that.

For a champ he does have the knack of making a few mistakes at critical points during the championship regardless of whether he is a contender for the title (last 2 years) or whether he is not (this year).