The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official F1 2009 thread. *may contain spoilers*

Nic

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to Shumi returning to F1, and being a die hard Hamilton fan would love to see the race.

Only thing is though, we must understand that he will not be the Schumacher we all knew. He's nearing his 40's, he won't be in the best shape, out of practice (probably not that far out but still) and with a dodgy neck.

End of the day hope Massa gets better and glad that Schumacher will be taking his place until he does.

On another note, I always thought that people took test driver positions with teams in the hope that when a driver is fires.leaves/unavailable, they would get the position because they have vast experience in the car.

If I was a Ferrari test driver, I would be annoyed!

Only thing is though, we must understand that he will not be the Schumacher we all knew. He's nearing his 40's, he won't be in the best shape, out of practice (probably not that far out but still) and with a dodgy neck.

Wasn't Mansell 39 when he won his world championship?

Wasn't Mansell 39 when he won his world championship?

Very true however today's F1 car's are in a different league, and the physical fitness of a driver makes a much bigger difference than what it used to.

Given that Schumacher's neck may be a problem for him after his Motorbike crash in February, we could see that halfway through the race he's not taking high-speed corners with as much speed.

I'm not saying he's going to be rubbish, hell he's one of the best drivers around, but he definately won't be the F1 driver he once was.

Williams have blocked Schumachers plan to test in the 09 Ferrari.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8178345.stm

I was going to say that's pretty harsh of them but I suppose they have got a point.

I can see where Williams and Ferrari are both coming from in this. I just keep thinking that Ferrari did not have a choice in asking someone else to drive where as Toro-Rosso did.

Then again you could say that they should have chosen one of the test drivers.

The argument could go on and on really.

Very true however today's F1 car's are in a different league, and the physical fitness of a driver makes a much bigger difference than what it used to.

I dont think so, he can just rest his head on the side pading & the hans device will stop his head flopping forward.:D

V but he definately won't be the F1 driver he once was.

On the contrary, I think he will be extremely competitive and very hungry to win and clearly ferrari have the car to give him the podiums that he will be seeking.

I am assuming that Michael would have his health condition assessed prior to making the decision to go public (the 7 times world champion is a smart cookie) so doubt that it will be an issue for the next race.

Schumacher not to return to F1 due to neck injury sustained during practice in Mugello.

Michael Schumacher has abandoned his Formula One comeback with Ferrari because of a neck injury.

The 40-year-old, who retired at the end of 2006, was set to deputise for the injured Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on 23 August.

"Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello," Schumacher told his website.

Schumacher suffered the neck injury in a bike accident in February.