The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Corvettes becoming more affordable

jaymdee

Traitor.

lol crap i knew i was spelling it wrong.

Corvettes in my opinion are rubbish, as are all american cars except the old muscle cars. you have something like a 6 litre V8 and it makes close to 250hp. what the hell is the rest of the engine doing? give the japs a 6litre engine and you'll have a bugatti rival.

Corvettes in my opinion are rubbish, as are all american cars except the old muscle cars. you have something like a 6 litre V8 and it makes close to 250hp. what the hell is the rest of the engine doing? give the japs a 6litre engine and you'll have a bugatti rival.

I disagree, love US muscle, plenty of VERY reliable understressed power on tap, new BMW money and a noise to die for !

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/949204.htm

If thats not enough power then ....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/770536.htm

A C6 will do 190-ish with more torque than you'll ever need. Where did you get the 250bhp from? :search:

i mean the older american motors, stuff that is from our supras time frame, obviosuly the new stuff is better and has shyt loads more torque and toys. like a sup in 93 TT would make something like 300hp yet the americans would struggle to get that power out of an engine double the size, they might match it but like i said give the japs a 6litre engine and im sure you would get something more crazy!

Corvettes in my opinion are rubbish, as are all american cars except the old muscle cars. you have something like a 6 litre V8 and it makes close to 250hp. .

My brothers stock C5 Z06 , 5.7 litre - 405 bhp :eyebrows:

It sounds far nicer than any Supra I've heard too, including mine. :(

Have you ever driven the later versions of the corvette - say a c6 ? Im willing to bet the answer to that is no.

Apart from the obvious bit about 250bhp being utter tripe, the main difference is that the Supra uses forced induction. You can't compare this with an N/A and speak as though it's like for like. Look at the difference between the Supra TT output and the Supra N/A output. Notice anything???

Strap a supercharger or a couple of turbos on a Corvette and you're talking around 600bhp at less than 0.5 bar.

Anyway, torque is far more important than bhp figures. My C6 Corvette puts out 405 ft/lb at not much off idle straight out of the box. Being N/A, there's no lag and it responds very precisely to how you work the throttle. Handling is excellent (way beyond what my Supra was capable of) and it's at least as rare in the UK as the Supe was when I bought my first one.

Then there's the sound it makes.......

:D

My C6 Corvette puts out 405 ft/lb at not much off idle straight out of the box. Being N/A, there's no lag and it responds very precisely to how you work the throttle. Handling is excellent (way beyond what my Supra was capable of) and it's at least as rare in the UK as the Supe was when I bought my first one.

Then there's the sound it makes.......

:D

Show off :(

(Nah - still love a nice Supe!)

Ditto. Supras will always have a special place in my heart, and I hope I never lose or have to sell mine, but Corvettes definitely do it for me.

They have a similar raw appeal for me as TVRs do. I imagine the modern Corvettes are slightly more civilised than a Tuscan, but I love the noise and raw, untamed NA power of them.

One day :)

I never liked them until I got humiliated on the M60 by a Z06. I came up the slip road with an RX8, the Corvette was behind me and I wondered if I could give it a run for it's money?? I thought that I had stopped as I floored my NA and the Corvette just disappeared into the distance.

The noise nearly made my ejaculate which was my excuse for not putting up a contest.....;)

Awesome machine!!

H.

Ive driven a both the shelby mustang and the yellow corvettes with a black stripe from hertz (no idea which model it is) while i was in florida.

I didnt rate the mustang at all. I looked mean as hell, but performance wise it was a bit lacking. The interior was crap. it did make a nice noise though. But i wouldnt have one over my supe.

The corvette on the over hand was stunning. I drove it for 6 hours from orlando to key west and back (12 hours total) without any trouble. It was a nice place to sit, was comfortable and the acceleration was stunning. Very different to the supra but very similar in terms of driving position etc.

The corvette is a stunning car and i would have one any day.

A couple of pictures to bring back memories :p

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v354/118/96/796820653/n796820653_4429375_2872.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v354/118/96/796820653/n796820653_4429376_3162.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v342/118/96/796820653/n796820653_4603238_3971.jpg

is it not the handling (or lack of) that US cars are normally slated for?

Yes, indeed it is.

However, the Corvette is the excepotion to that rule. Which is why a C6 Z06 goes round the Top Gear test track in 1min 22.4 secs. That's faster than a Murcielago, Ferrari F430 etc.

I'd say they handle fairly well. ;)

Here you go....