The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R33 Vs R32 Skyline

supraspeed

Ok I have not read this thread due to the poster!

I swapped my 33gtst for an NA supra cos the skyline IMO (only) Is a bag of sh*te handles well but looks like sh*te and parts are a joke. If you want a good fast reliable car get a TT if you need to cheapskate it get a skyline but be prepped for BIG bills.

Dave.

Also the r32 can easily be run in full rwd as well as 4wd, but not a r33 or r34.

I just sold my r33 gtr and when i had it wished i had bought the r32 because i could have switched between rwd and 4wd by the flick of a switch.

I have always been a rwd fan and the gtr just got boring for me as i couldn't run it in rwd without issues.

If i did it again, i would deffo have a well specced r32 gtr but would still take a single 6 spd supra over that !!!

Also the r32 can easily be run in full rwd as well as 4wd, but not a r33 or r34.

I just sold my r33 gtr and when i had it wished i had bought the r32 because i could have switched between rwd and 4wd by the flick of a switch.

I have always been a rwd fan and the gtr just got boring for me as i couldn't run it in rwd without issues.

If i did it again, i would deffo have a well specced r32 gtr but would still take a single 6 spd supra over that !!!

I didn't know about the R32's rwd-4wd selection. is that standard on all models or a thing you need to install yourself, like a manual override?

The 32 GTR is a great car, i'd be loooking for one that's had a engine rebuild with decent parts and uprated turbo's, I'd think around 10k would get you a half decent spec :)

nboost I didnt realise it was only the R32 that you can switch to rwd, I assumed you could do it to all of them? I wonder if there is a mod out there to do the 33 and the 34? :)

I had a R32 GTR briefly and it is a lot of fun but it wasnt as amazing as I was first expecting, I guess the GTR image can be hyped up a bit too much sometimes :)

mine was fairly stockish but with a few mods to push over 400bhp and I bet it would be pretty amazing :) and over 500bhp would be a seriously quick street weapon in almost all seasons, It's a perfect base for high bhp :) and a completely different animal to the GTS :)

nboost I didnt realise it was only the R32 that you can switch to rwd, I assumed you could do it to all of them? I wonder if there is a mod out there to do the 33 and the 34? :)

On a r32 gtr while your driving let the car coast in neutral and switching the ign back on and off will put car into full rwd and do it again and it will be 4wd.

You can just pull the 4wd fuse or install a cheap custom switch to swap between both.

Very usefull for drifting or drag burnouts.

R33 and r34 have the front diff pre loaded all the time, so running them in rwd cause's premeture wear to front diff although u can use a grd dancer module to put them in rwd but i wouldn't.

When yiu say you have a budget of 9 thousand tops do you have a contingency fund of at least 2k in case anything much goes wrong as soon as you buy it? GTR's can and do go wrong and they are expensive to have work done on, and there's a lot of complex stuff to give trouble. A nice GTS-t is still a nippy car, and a lot lighter and simpler than a 4 WD model. You could get a very tidy GTS-t for under 2K.

When yiu say you have a budget of 9 thousand tops do you have a contingency fund of at least 2k in case anything much goes wrong as soon as you buy it? GTR's can and do go wrong and they are expensive to have work done on, and there's a lot of complex stuff to give trouble. A nice GTS-t is still a nippy car, and a lot lighter and simpler than a 4 WD model. You could get a very tidy GTS-t for under 2K.

yeah, since my supra problems ive put aside a few k for mods and repairs just in case anything happens to any of my cars. I'm not rushing into buying a GTR, just want one which looks like a good example/club owners car etc and has been maintained to a high standard. Moving into new house soon hopefully so need some savings if the worse happened.

The R34 is a real rot box, be very wary of them.

What the good man said.

Once they start rusting it spreads like butter and even the r32/r33 suffer from rust, especially around the front suspension turrets.

Build quality is no wear near that of a supra.

Panel thickness, and seam sealing is very different to the Toyota. I suppose nissan were aware of the weight penalty of 4 WD, but having said that, the 2 WD GTS-t shares the same paper like body shell construction of the GTR. All that aside, the Toyota is far better at shrugging off rust than the Skyline models. For some reason the R34 models were the worst for rust of all of them.