The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra D2 products - are they worth it?

adnanshah247

Could anybody give some opinions on D2 products?

Im looking to buy D2 suspension and brakes all round. Are they worth the money? here are the links of what im looking to order.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-98-Supra-D2-RACING-FULL-Coilover-Damper-Suspension_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el1177QQhashZitem190244361645QQitemZ190244361645QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D2-8-Piston-Brake-kit-COMBO-FRONT-REAR-SUPRA-JZA80_W0QQitemZ360139044328QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item360139044328&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

i am planning on going single, but before that i want my chasis to be solid. i dont want to spend big £ on a single setup when my brakes, suspension, tyres etc. are not up for it. i think it was Homer who once said that people go around spend huge money on mods but forget the important stuff.

all advise/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I fitted D2 coilovers to my Supra back last year which i purchased from an E-Bay seller in New Zeland called Performance Guru.

They have been fantastic and i have had no problems with them what so ever.I would recommend them from my personal experience.

I fitted D2 coilovers to my Supra back last year which i purchased from an E-Bay seller in New Zeland called Performance Guru.

They have been fantastic and i have had no problems with them what so ever.I would recommend them from my personal experience.

I e-mailed that seller a while ago, he no longer sells them. Just 'BC' coilovers now.

You're looking at £700+ delivered for the D2's from America these days.

Anyone had an experience with the BC Racing coilovers? They come in at £579 delivered

Just found a review on the BC coilovers from evolutionm.net

Introduction

When we first got the opportunity to test out the new BR series coilovers, I must say I was a bit skeptical. Having not heard much about the company and with a typical street price of only $1000, I was not expecting much. After doing a little research, it turns out that BC Racing is actually a large manufacturer that produces several well known brand name suspensions including some that are quite a bit more expensive. The BR Series is the company’s first exclusive product with a design entirely their own. The BR series features a mono tube design, 46mm piston/53mm housing, 30 way single adjustable dampening, front camber plates, rear pillowball mounts, and separate height and preload adjustments. The standard spring set for the Lancer Evolution is 8k front and 6k rear, however customers may choose any spring rate from 6k to 12k at an additional cost. This may prove to be a beneficial option for those looking to maximize performance at the cost of ride quality.

Our initial inspection showed no surprises. Build quality appears good all around and all functions work smoothly. The body is powder coated steel with aluminum adjustment collars. A nice feature is the adjustment knob which requires no hex wrenches or special tools to adjust and functions perfectly with 16 distinct clicks. Although rebuilds are not currently available in the US, replacements are. If your struts are in need of a rebuild, BC is currently replacing them with new damper unit for $95/each.

Street Testing

We have put roughly 1,000 miles of street driving through varied roads in our testing. The results were actually quite surprising. Despite our expectations, the BR series performed quite well. The damping level seems to be work very well for the spring rates with quality dampening even over very rough surfaces. The ride is firm, noticeably more so than stock, but not overly harsh. All but the larger mid corner bumps where absorbed without upsetting the vehicle’s balance. The bounciness or under dampening found in many budget systems was not to be seen in any significant level here. Instead we found ourselves comparing the BR series to several more notable and more expensive mid levels systems such as the Tein Flex Mono which would probably be the most direct competitor in terms of our overall impressions. For such a budget minded price, we can think of few systems that would have noticeable advantages without spending significantly more.

Track Testing

Previously the test car for this review was running a higher end more track oriented system and alignment (3.25 camber front, 2.5 rear). For this testing, the specs were set as close as possible with 2.75 front, 2.5 rear. Testing took place on the 12 hour course of Sebring Raceway, known for its rough surfaces. Again as an inexpensive street oriented setup expectations were not high, although our results on the street were promising. We were surprised by the ability and consistency offered by the BR series. While lap times were slower by approximately 2-3 seconds from the previous setup over the 3.7 mile course, the impression was quite good. After several tests, we left the dampers at +8 front, +10 rear for what seemed to be the best results. The majority of time seemed to be lost in the few very high load, high speed, rough sections such as turn 17 where exit speed was down slightly. While there was an advantage with a more track oriented (and more expensive) coilover setup, the BR series proved worthy for occasional track events which fits perfectly into their design goals and target consumer.

Conclusion

While it’s easy to make snap judgments on parts such as this based on price and where they are made, the BC Racing BR series has broken our expectations and proved itself a worthy street and occasional track system at a great price and a strong competitor for systems that cost $500-700 more. Additionally, BC Racing has announced a new inverted mono tube setup for a bit more performance that will be available shortly.

Good point. Nicer price and local UK reseller (easier on warranty issues). Driftworks isn't it?

Exactly! So far so good on my car as well - excellent damping quality meaning a decent ride whilst stiffening the car up nicely in the corners.

Driftworks have the disti rights for HSD across Europe and run the website www.hsdcoilovers.com - they can be ordered there or on the main www.driftworks.co.uk website.

Cheers,

Brian.

'TDR' is the suspension that your suggestion nice to drive on. My car is on tein super streets at the moment it is so stiff that if i drive over a stone a can feel it in my back but when i put the car through some punishment it sticks like glue to the road. i want something that will give me a very smooth and comfortable ride (its a supra, not a lexus i know) but also be able to handle the rough stuff.

see thats what i needed to know, can you not set the D2's to run softer or something?!

Softest setting on D2 is probably twice as hard as Tein Super Streets on their hardest.

Ive driven a DC2, Supra and GTR with D2's, all lead me to the same opinion...dont buy them for a road car.

Hello mate, Im the UPS Driver you spoke to in the snow. I have D2's on my single and with a fiddle on the adjusters mine are now comfy. At first they were hard but Michel Lane who built the single found a great compromise. I think 7 clicks on the front but I forget how many on the back.

Mine handles pretty well but I am on 19's so sacrafice a bit for that - plus I dont try and be the Stig and drive like a dick all the time so havent thrown it about much yet and havent done any track days so cant comment on track use.

I agree with the comment bout putting it up on a ramp first though as I had new bushes, anti roll bar and I think wishbones too. Not forgetting the d2 suspension and UK brakes with Chris Wilson pads before finding out I needed new alloys to go over the new brakes lol. Do your homework and dont scrimp on parts as doing it the cheap way always means paying out twice to do it properly the second time.

Hello mate, Im the UPS Driver you spoke to in the snow. I have D2's on my single and with a fiddle on the adjusters mine are now comfy. At first they were hard but Michel Lane who built the single found a great compromise. I think 7 clicks on the front but I forget how many on the back.

Mine handles pretty well but I am on 19's so sacrafice a bit for that - plus I dont try and be the Stig and drive like a dick all the time so havent thrown it about much yet and havent done any track days so cant comment on track use.

I agree with the comment bout putting it up on a ramp first though as I had new bushes, anti roll bar and I think wishbones too. Not forgetting the d2 suspension and UK brakes with Chris Wilson pads before finding out I needed new alloys to go over the new brakes lol. Do your homework and dont scrimp on parts as doing it the cheap way always means paying out twice to do it properly the second time.

thanks for that bud. yeah i want to spend my money properly, just want the car to sit and drive right! :)