The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it normal to get so angry with computer games?

TRACIE_LOU

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!:D

And i know its all part of growing up etc i think its just that feeling of constant fighting etc

Then don't raise your voice or yell... speak in a calm composed voice, confuses the HELL out of them :). Stick to your guidelines. Perhaps create a rota. Dishwasher and hoovering gets him 2 hours of game time, no hoovering no time. No it isn't slave labour it is about getting them to understand we aren't their servants. Mine had a shock a while back when I casually asked them to hoover upstairs while I popped out to the shops. Came back nothing done, so waited till they went out to play and took the computers out. Around 9pm they realized but they knew exactly why and strangely didn't mention it but instead did it first thing in the morning :)

Then don't raise your voice or yell... speak in a calm composed voice, confuses the HELL out of them :). Stick to your guidelines. Perhaps create a rota. Dishwasher and hoovering gets him 2 hours of game time, no hoovering no time. No it isn't slave labour it is about getting them to understand we are their servants. Mine had a shock a while back when I casually asked them to hoover upstairs while I popped out to the shops. Came back nothing done, so waited till they went out to play and took the computers out. Around 9pm they realized but they knew exactly why and strangely didn't mention it but instead did it first thing in the morning :)

Yes we have just started that as he wants more and more money for youth club skating etc, he hoovered and cut the grass this week, incorporating it with pc is a good idea... as for the calm voice i think i need to try a bit harder, sometimes i can be calm other times he says something that upsets...

Funnily enough i done that a few years ago before i met tony and my son was giving me a bit of lip i said i'd wash his mouth out with soap he said exactly the same that he'd call the police and i said off you go and explain to them why... he looked so shocked bless!

He is a good lad really... sometimes

Okay, and this may sound very odd, and please don't take offence...

I assume Tony isn't dad? Okay, well I can associate with that, as a few members know I have step kids. Does he discipline them (I don't mean beat them senseless as much we all would like sometimes :)), but rather does he have an active role. As a mother it wouldn't be easy for you to let another person deal with YOUR kids, and yes it took a while for my wife and myself but it has to be done again for the consistent approach. I used to get the 'I want to call my dad rubbish', handed her the phone...'I don't want to speak to him'...took her about 2 years of this hard slogging to be fair, but she soon learnt that I'm not biased and I will listen and show respect if the same is earned.

The phrase which I used with her was 'You are right I am not your father, I have no intention of replacing him, however you are a part of this household and I will not tolerate your behaviour affecting the rest of the people living here'

A guy i worked with (my supervisor) has a 16 year old who was a pain in the arse.

I don't remember the exact details as it was a year or so ago that this happened but his daughter did something he didnt approve of. They got into an argument (hardly the best way to go about it from a parenting point of view) and she threw her phone at him. Hitting him on the head. In the heat of the argument he threatened to have her done for assault. She called the bluff so he called the coppers.

When they turned up (no doubt hours later) and he had cooled down he had a word with them at the door and they sat the girl down in the front room without her parents present and explained what was going to happen, she would be arrested etc etc. The girl was in tears, they cuffed her and everything. Then got as far as opening the back of the police car before telling her it was all a "lesson" and to go inside to apologize to her dad who was sat in the living room trying not to look smug.

Now i guess he got lucky and some coppers would have done you for wasting time or just told you no. But apparently she learned the lesson.

dont worry about i still play counterstrike on pc and find it highly annoying as well as Halo 3 on xbox, i've learnt to control the anger and stop smashing things but i regularly used to throw controllers etc.. even got to the point of tears of frustration (not crying) especially when you get stuck on one bit that takes you hours to get to, die then have to start over again just to waste another hour getting back to that point where you know its gonna happen again... now i just turn it off if i feel the need to lash out, unless my m8's here then he usually gets a dead arm. to unleash the anger is better than storing it up 4 someone else to receive... it only lasts a minute and you feel an idiot afterwards, then chuckle about it and all is good...(just like my sex life)

get him a tv for his room to stop arguements.. i would of loved a padded cell to game in imagine the frustration you could release!!

dont worry about i still play counterstrike on pc and find it highly annoying as well as Halo 3 on xbox, i've learnt to control the anger and stop smashing things but i regularly used to throw controllers etc.. even got to the point of tears of frustration (not crying) especially when you get stuck on one bit that takes you hours to get to, die then have to start over again just to waste another hour getting back to that point where you know its gonna happen again... now i just turn it off if i feel the need to lash out, unless my m8's here then he usually gets a dead arm. to unleash the anger is better than storing it up 4 someone else to receive... it only lasts a minute and you feel an idiot afterwards, then chuckle about it and all is good...(just like my sex life)

get him a tv for his room to stop arguements.. i would of loved a padded cell to game in imagine the frustration you could release!!

That sounds so familiar obviously being 12 he knows he can't go smashing controllers or he would be in serious shite lol.. but i hink if he could lash out he would... if only i had a padded cell hehe

He has a tv in his room with ps2 and wii... but ps3 is everyones so stays downstairs and they only got it at xmas so still a novelty hopefully when he has completed the fav game he will chill on it abit!:D

Gav sounds like a great parent, I almost find I wish I had his input when I was a kid.

The lack of discipline, and a fatherly role models must affect young boys badly later on.

As for anger at computer games, it's the loosing and frustration that you are not as good as you think you are. I think the more mature you are, you don't get so angry at loosing.

When you learn from your losses, you won't feel to bad about them, and I think it will help you appreciate other people's skill.

Totally agree with console off time, so that they can go outside, play sports and have fun with real interaction.

I heard that childhood obesity, and even childhood diabetes are on the rise. Must be a difficult time for parents with younger children as to whether and how often they let them out to play unsupervised.

when it comes to games especially army ones i am your worst hated nightmare:d il own you till you cry. When i only played resistance2 for 1 month i always came number1

no offence but you sound like one of those 12 year old americans that simply go on to wind people up. with phrases such as "i own u" and "n00b". well done you can point a crosshair on a screen and press a button.. clearly a master of war, you should sign up. could make general with those credentials....

no offence but you sound like one of those 12 year old americans that simply go on to wind people up. with phrases such as "i own u" and "n00b". well done you can point a crosshair on a screen and press a button.. clearly a master of war, you should sign up. could make general with those credentials....

actually im only good because of those stupid yanks and idiot kids! just to shut them up. I for one do not send stupid messages calling people noob etc i simply make them angry and cry just to shut their goby mouth up

He is.