The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My New Dash Gauges - guide included.

adnanshah247

Well yesterday work was slow, nothing to really do. I work in IT at a school and seen as they have a design and technology department today I took with me my new gauges and took out my dash to see if I can find a way to mount them. Inspired by Jevansio’s dash I always wanted a flush dash with no pods etc. but wanted to keep my stereo in place. So here is what I did today............

First off I removed the cigarette lighter, the single storage compartment the top air vent and the clock. I used a circular drill bit and drilled out the cigarette light. Clock was perfect size for my gauge so then decided how I’m going to mount the remainder gauges and make the upper hole smaller.

I made an mdf plate of the storage comp. to see how much space I have to play with as I wanted to keep my stereo. After that I used some brilliant design software attached to a laser cutter to create perfect circles. I then measured the big hole and made a mdf template for it. Now is the good bits. I have the mdf pieces underneath to support it but then you could clearly see that the gauge is further in, I had to make a piece to make it come out and look flush as one piece. So, I used black plastic and same made templates and cut them out. Put all together and there you have it. Completed the bottom gauges with a hand grinder and began mounting. Was seriously annoying because I had to make so many templates to get the size right!

Took me quite long to do but seriously think I have done myself a good job. Would like to see what you guys think. Tonnes of effort went into it.

I have put in loads of pictures step by step on what I did, it will make more sense than my explanation.

Enjoy!

Adnan

:D ;)

That is impressive, 2 days as well, took me weeks.

If I could make 1 constructive comment, I think it would look even better if you rubbed back the entire piece, used filler to fill the join between the black you've put in, & resprayed, only a little thing but I reckon it'll give it that professional touch.

Either way a cracking job, any night pics?

Looks good. I'd like to do something similar but I want a double din touch screen for a car pc so I'm a bit torn.

What are those gauges like? I've been contemplating buying them myself. I like the look of them but they're quite cheap compared to the usual brands so I wasn't sure on quality/accuracy etc.

Impressive work though :)

it would look good if you moved the one in the cig lighter up with the other 2 and shuffled them over a bit then you would get 2 lines of 3. but with some filler and paint it will look smashing!

Id like something like that but i use my clock and cig lighter (although i suppose it could be moved) and i value my airvent :p

they look good mate top quality work :D

your layout of them would drive me mad though, i would put the oil and water temp together and then have the oil pressure to complete the row. Then have the volts on its own.

but then again most people think im a tad obsessive compulsive :D:D:D

they look good mate top quality work :D

your layout of them would drive me mad though, i would put the oil and water temp together and then have the oil pressure to complete the row. Then have the volts on its own.

but then again most people think im a tad obsessive compulsive :D:D:D

Yeah, you have to touch each of the gauges in order too before you start the car up :p :D

Get any night pics yet Adnan?

Yeah, you have to touch each of the gauges in order too before you start the car up :p :D

Get any night pics yet Adnan?

Haha nooooo you cant touch them would then have to clean them again :D:D:D:D:D:D

work is really good though something i think i will have to do a version of with mine when i get it :D

they 52mm or 60mm gauges as the defis i would put in would be 60mm so may not work as well :(

Nice work Adnan :)

Where's the important gauge - AFR ? I see you've got the EGT and boost in a good spot, but no AFR.

Are you tempted to try your hand at some filler work and get it all flatted out? It's takes a lot of time, but will looks superb when done.