The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na Supra turbo Conversion Help Please?

Guest wln7844

Guest wln7844

Hi all,

I've been looking into converting my NA Supra to turbo, im just wondering which is the best way to go.

Would it be better to buy a twin turbo engine gearbox etc and fit that or to buy a single turbo conversion kit, i saw a few on that suprastore website that seemed quite interesting. Which would work out cheaper or best in the long run. I wouldnt even know where to start about getting a twin turbo engine, does anyone have them on sale on here?

Hope to hear from you all. Thanks

Guest SupraN/A96
engine transplant is the better option imo. the na/t kits are expensive and then you lose reliability a bit tbh. the na-tt way is cheaper imo....and more reliable :)

Thats a load of cr...:twak:

Hi all,

I've been looking into converting my NA Supra to turbo, im just wondering which is the best way to go.

Would it be better to buy a twin turbo engine gearbox etc and fit that or to buy a single turbo conversion kit, i saw a few on that suprastore website that seemed quite interesting. Which would work out cheaper or best in the long run. I wouldnt even know where to start about getting a twin turbo engine, does anyone have them on sale on here?

Hope to hear from you all. Thanks

TT transplant or even if moneys at a push a 1jzgte transplant ;)

hi , i did a na-t conversion and im verry glad i did. i chose to go for a bugit xspower kit that comes with 98% of the hardware you need minus a few small cheap parts that you can pick up from any good hardware store and the hole lot came to around £850 with shipping from the us.

appart from the actual car parts you will need some soprt of fuel management system that can also stop the mapm sensor from cutiing the fuel. i chose the greddy emanage as i could pik it up for £150 including the greddy map sensor, suport tool and sortware for the pc, if you are not up 2 speed with mapping on a pc someone who is comes in verry handy.

i found that once the turbo was installed and the car was tuned the clutch could not handle the extra power so invested in a higher qulity clutch at £250.

Now the car is running buetifully and can comfortably out sprint my dads standard manual jspec tt altho many on here will argue , we did the tests and found the results .

it has been converted for around 6 months and i have had no reliablity issues (that i havent caused) with the kit or the car and im happy i did it .

now the whoile kit and conversion cost me around £1400. I baught the car for £2500 and its a manual so thats £3900 for a verry nice looking fast manual 300bhp+car . i dont think you could buy a tt for this price in any type or tidy condition , so as as far as im concerned this was a verry good way of goin on a tight buget. i know the tt has an lsd and better brakes but these are all thing i can add wen money permits, in the mean time it great fun to drive and it allways makes me smile ,

if you do decide to go for it feel free 2 pm me and ill give you any info from my expreience i can ,

Edited by dr_jekyll (see edit history)

hi , i did a na-t conversion and im verry glad i did. i chose to go for a bugit xspower kit that comes with 98% of the hardware you need minus a few small cheap parts that you can pick up from any good hardware store and the hole lot came to around £850 with shipping from the us.

appart from the actual car parts you will need some soprt of fuel management system that can also stop the mapm sensor from cutiing the fuel. i chose the greddy emanage as i could pik it up for £150 including the greddy map sensor, suport tool and sortware for the pc, if you are not up 2 speed with mapping on a pc someone who is comes in verry handy.

i found that once the turbo was installed and the car was tuned the clutch could not handle the extra power so invested in a higher qulity clutch at £250.

Now the car is running buetifully and can comfortably out sprint my dads standard manual jspec tt altho many on here will argue , we did the tests and found the results .

it has been converted for around 6 months and i have had no reliablity issues (that i havent caused) with the kit or the car and im happy i did it .

now the whoile kit and conversion cost me around £1400. I baught the car for £2500 and its a manual so thats £3900 for a verry nice looking fast manual 300bhp+car . i dont think you could buy a tt for this price in any type or tidy condition , so as as far as im concerned this was a verry good way of goin on a tight buget. i know the tt has an lsd and better brakes but these are all thing i can add wen money permits, in the mean time it great fun to drive and it allways makes me smile ,

if you do decide to go for it feel free 2 pm me and ill give you any info from my expreience i can ,

that is very impressive if its been done properly and lasts.

now thats in my price range

clueless do you diy mechanics wise? IMO this is a big factor in making a NA-T viable financially..................the biggest negative NA-T vs TT factor is the labour involved. TT swap is a one off relatively low labour cost initially the NA-T's are all, to a point, custom jobs and will need tinkering alot initially and then every so often going forward.

If you can sort these little niggles yourself as you go, then IMO it can be a winner over the NA-TT route. You can even chance your arm on the boost/fueling front as if you get it wrong you are only looking at about £200 and a days/weekends work to replace a blown engine...........again thats presuming DIY.

That does sound pretty damn good for that price...although i assume you fitted the kit yourself which is always handy. Lets hope it stays reliable for you.

yes i did do all the fitting myself . and i had the car mapped at rolling motion in cearphilly. but the fitting was pretty straight forward and didnt really throw up any challenges that someone with basic mechanical skills and a bit of imagination couldnt overcome.

i did forget to mention , i also needed a form of monitoring the afr witch is essential to avoid cooking the motor so i went for the innovate lc1 with digital display that cost an additional £150. but its a must have.

Edited by dr_jekyll (see edit history)

Clueless, I'm amazed you managed this with he XS kit. Everyone who's done this so far has found the parts to be utter garbage (including myself). I cannot even begin to go into how poor quality the parts are, needless to say every (and I really mean every) part failed apart from the wastegate and the downpipe (which needed modifying extensively anyway)

I can understand how you managed it on those prices if the kit actually worked and you did this DIY, but thats never been the case for others that have used it.

How many miles has this clocked up, have long has it been on?

Also, do you have a dyno plot of the power delivery?

What turbo do you have installed?

i have coverd around 4000 miles most of witch have bben prtty hard. the turbo came with the kit i have been told its a re branded garret from there old stock , im not sure on that though. but i have had no problems with any parts . i can get a dyno plot soon as its goin on a rolling road at the end of the month again .

I have had experience with the XS NA-T kit, easy to install, cheap and no problems yet (3000-5000 hard miles later) running emanage blue stock injectors and clutch 0.6 bar. Just a tad quicker then a stock TT...

thats pretty mutch my setup, and im happy, have you had a dyno run with yours ?

I don't get why no-one has made a good quality NA-T kit. You'd make a killing. Maybe XS have improved their quality?

Even at the price you did it, its v.v. close pricewise to NA->TT swap unfortunately.

Boost logic do one :) not sure of the quality but they have a pretty rep afaik,

lets see if this link works

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=802&SearchYN=N

thats pretty mutch my setup, and im happy, have you had a dyno run with yours ?

its ok, no i havent. would be interested to see how it does. im not quite tt bpu but a set of 440 injectors up the boost a little and she would be away. It does have the TT head gasket on to drop the compression...

goes well, really pulls. also with the 5 speed anything over 80 in top gear and just stick your toe down. what turbo you got? this has a T4 t61 rapid spool...

Boost logic do one :) not sure of the quality but they have a pretty rep afaik,

lets see if this link works

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=802&SearchYN=N

Some very tasty turbo kits there. I actually reached for my credit card when I saw the first price...

..but alas it was only $140 for a turbo blanket :(