The mkiv Supra Owners Club

smoking

Edjames

has anyone tried giving up lately i just got the pacthes seem ok so far but there like 15 quid for a weeks worth, i rele want to give up i have not smoked for 3 days now just at work everyone around me smokes and i enjoy a fag so much and ideas anyone been throu this ?

Champax tablets help, patches just keep the nicotine addiction going mate. But the main weapon you have is your head, if you reallywant to stop, and are not stopping just because you feel you should stop, then you will be fine. Have a read of one of Alan Carrs books ie *The Easy Way to stop Smoking" as well

go cold turkey and any time you want to smoke just drink a pint of water, it's the toxins inside you that's keeping you wanting to smoke, so each pint of water will help start to clear your body of them and I bet if you keep it up after 4/5 days you'll not want to smoke again :) just don't go overboard with the drinking of water.

I'm not sure I could manage 40 pints of water a day.

lol, well too much water is bad for you, I think if you consume near 6 litres an hour (which is rather unlikely) you'll cause serious health issues.

but try it, it's free and I've seen it work

so u think patches dont help? finsh the 7 day coarse ? champ ex ? persription ? , not time to drink water at work hardly have time to talk. id like to smoke just i feel i shouldnt 40 qiud a week nearly on fags and there not good for me either but they are relaxing :(

They do not relax you at all, thats a myth. They actually stimulate you. But you have pointed out your downfall, you do not want to stop. You never will if that is how you feel I am afraid. I was over 40 a day and none of the nicotine subtitutes worked for me, they just prolong the addiction. £40 a week would pay your insurance bud

Champax tablets are prescription and I know quite a few people this has worked for

i know thats the plan save a bit of cash but i find myself telling my self smokings not that bad always turn, the fag packs up the other way so u dont see the shitty pictures, id like to keep my spue n bpu it see what happens, but every thing seems to be costing at the mo,Diy at home brother smashed my bedroom window yesterday in a row gotta get a new window at least it needed double glazing anyway :p. But i do want to give up and i will if i get champ ex can i just take them and problem sovled. If u have one when ur pissed does that mean i wasted all my time ?

You can get patches on the NHS if you enrol with your GP's stop smoking surgery. Initially they'll give you a weeks worth for the cost of a precsription and if you last all week then they'll give you 28 days worth for a single prescription. I used my GP and I gave up sucessfully 5 years ago this month. :)

They do not relax you at all, thats a myth.

Say's who??

And what proof?

The myth is that they dont relax you

If im stressed a quick cig calms me down and gets me straight headed.

I know this for a fact as its how i feel after i have had one.

The way i quit smoking last time was to smoke normally with the strongest patch on.

After a few drags it made me feel sick and after a while i couldnt stand smoking and never touched one, i had a patch on for three days and quit smoking for nearly a year.

Its all a trick of the mind, thats what you need to convince to stop.

It wasnt untill i went through a bad patch i started again.

has anyone tried giving up lately i just got the pacthes seem ok so far but there like 15 quid for a weeks worth, i rele want to give up i have not smoked for 3 days now just at work everyone around me smokes and i enjoy a fag so much and ideas anyone been throu this ?

I have never smoked but I can understand the addiction to the habit. Try taking lemsip followed by a bout of furious masturbation.......;):)

H.

I'm off them 6 months, I used Champix and couldn't believe how easy it was. I've tried many many times with patches and gum and the book etc and it's killed me every time. That said, there's a (small) risk of serious side effects and reports of suicides linked with them, and you need to think seriously about this before going on them.

They do not relax you at all, thats a myth. They actually stimulate you.

Say's who??

And what proof?

The myth is that they dont relax you

If im stressed a quick cig calms me down and gets me straight headed.

I know this for a fact as its how i feel after i have had one.

Just to comment on this.

Although nicotine is a stimulant, it is very possible that fags have a relaxing effect for several reasons:

1) Nicotine has a depressant effect on the limbic system, which is heavily involved in emotion.

2) I think it's associated with endorphin release, which feels good.

3) A decrease in oxygen to the brain from carbon monoxide could produce a hypoxia which I guess could reduce overall brain activity and maybe counteract any stimulant effects.

4) Most likely of all, having a fag is something mostly associated with feelings of having a break, taking time out and relaxing. So lighting up triggers those Pavlovian responses.

Just to comment on this.

Although nicotine is a stimulant, it is very possible that fags have a relaxing effect for several reasons:

1) Nicotine has a depressant effect on the limbic system, which is heavily involved in emotion.

2) I think it's associated with endorphin release, which feels good.

3) A decrease in oxygen to the brain from carbon monoxide could produce a hypoxia which I guess could reduce overall brain activity and maybe counteract any stimulant effects.

4) Most likely of all, having a fag is something mostly associated with feelings of having a break, taking time out and relaxing. So lighting up triggers those Pavlovian responses.

I love you Tanhauser.....:)

It took me three attempts to quit a 40 a day habit, I had been smoking for 23 years. I tried cold turkey and it didnt work, I just couldn't function at all because of the addiction. Used the patches and eventually stopped, mind you its been 12 years and I still get the odd craving for a smoke, but I know if I start I would probably be sick.

Perservere with it

I wonder if you could classically condition yourself to stop smoking?

One reason why smoking feels good, as mentioned above, is through classical conditioning. Before we start smoking, there is this unlearned connection:

Time out, relaxing, poss. social activity (unconditioned stimulus, US) --------> Pleasant feelings(unconditioned response, UR)

The fag/smoking is at this point a neutral stimulus (NS), which doesn't cause any response.

By repeatedly pairing the NS with the US, eventually just the fag by itself produces the pleasant feelings, even without the nicotine.This works in the same way that a dog can be conditioned to drool when it hears a bell, by pairing the bell with food.

What if you taught yourself to associate the fag with a really unpleasant sensation? For example, you could light up a fag, then immediately stick your fingers down your throat and make yourself really sick. In theory, with enough pairings, you would eventually learn to associate smoking with feelings of nausea and distress, provided the fag immediately preceded the vomiting. They use this sort of aversive conditioning to treat alcoholism, though under carefully controlled conditions and with some sort of emetic rather than the fingers.

Or maybe pair the smoking up with connecting your testicles to a car battery...

Obviously, I don't suggest anybody actually tries this, as repeated vomiting carries all sorts of health risks, including a surprisingly high risk of choking to death. Interesting, though.