The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering Column - Custom Job

Ryan.G

Hi All

Im after abit of help. I am extending the steering column on my track car and looking to add a collapsible section so in the event of an accident i dont get a steering wheel moulded to me.

What im after is like a telescopic section like some OEM cars have. Ie a splined shaft which fits inside a splined tube and is adjustable by like 6" +.

Be nice if i could get hold of some splined bar and splined tube which i could add to my current shaft.

Can anyone help with sourcing some splined bar with Tube or know of any cars which have a collapsible section which i could try and use.

Ryan

Trying to remember if i'm older or younger than just now, to see if that comments valid! :D

You better be ready for the start of April sir....looks like i'll be.

New colour all picked out. Audi Velvet purple.

Cheers

G

PS. Sorry for the thread divert there

cant find a better pic mate but this is what I was talking about if you look closely you can see the collapsible part one end from memory has a splined shaft with a knuckle on the end, might be worth looking into as these can be picked up off ebay for a few pounds

cant find a better pic mate but this is what I was talking about if you look closely you can see the collapsible part one end from memory has a splined shaft with a knuckle on the end, might be worth looking into as these can be picked up off ebay for a few pounds

Thanks John

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a safety column from the USA from Woodwardsteering. Not cheap but if it can save my life it will be worth it :)

Does the stock column not collapse then Ryan, or have you had to bin it due to the excessive departure from all things stock? :)

It does yes.. but the area it does it is part of the whole adjustable casing and it weighs alot so had to go :D