The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wish me luck...

Godmutha

I was being semi sarcastic but that is what your previous post suggested.....;):)

On a serious note, what actually happens to your eyes over time??

H.

Ah i meant it starts around that age and progresses. It's why people start needing reading glasses or moderately short sighted people have to take their glasses off to read after this age. It's literally just the lens in your eye hardening up past this age which honestly happens to every single living person. It's your muscle altering the len's shape to make it more convex that normally focuses for reading; as it hardens your muscles can't alter it's shape so the up close focus is lost. This process keeps happening for about 20 years and in what time it has an effect on distance vision making people longsighted. A young longsighted person can cope with a prescription as their lens is soft so can be focused for distance too - they're just more prone to headaches and eyestrain. An older person who has had this longsighted shift can't adjust for it as their lens is too hard - it's why when people start with reading specs, a few years later they'll move into multifocals for get TV/driving glasses also.

Hopefully Lucy's operation will be a success and she's not gonna have any issues after :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't get the complications it's great - the problem is, th complications are completely irreversible.

Well, that's not what I was told...

Also, Wavefront has been developed to reduce the halo and starring effect at night time to virtually nothing.

But, as I said... each to their own. I dont think its fair to put people off, and everything you're saying is likely to... people should go and get a consultation and make their own mind up....

:rolleyes:

Have they been testing laser eye surgeory for over 20 years?

Serious q., not being sarcastic

The short answer is no (i'm not an optics god so i might be wrong on that). It's a more recent thing as they used to use Radial Keratotomy which was done with a scalpel. Eximer laser procedures are a more recent thing and, AFAIK, there's no one who's say 70 years old who had it done when they were 30 odd. Your cornea degenerates with age regardless, and bearing in mind it's meant to be the most sensitive place of your body (male or female ;) ), i'd hate to think what *might* happen when these people are in their 70s and 80s

Well, that's not what I was told...

Also, Wavefront has been developed to reduce the halo and starring effect at night time to virtually nothing.

But, as I said... each to their own. I dont think its fair to put people off, and everything you're saying is likely to... people should go and get a consultation and make their own mind up....

:rolleyes:

What did they tell you? The halo thing is a lot better but the main reason for night complaints i've seen is corneal opaqueness, only slight, but it seems to be a catch 22 thing in my view. People want "perfect" eye sight after laser corretion, but it's not a perfect procedure and a lot of these places work on commission and quite frankly lie to people (not all places but there's some shocking cases).

I'm not just putting people off, you know me better than that, like i've said a lot of people i've seen are happy they did it. It's pros Vs cons at the end of the day.

Edit: To add, yeah they can go get a consultation done, i've never told anyone not to. I just always say don't go to just one place, go to them all and listen to what all of them have to say. There's a lot of contradictions that they give. As i've tried to say, this is just from my experience, it's not skin off my nose whether people have it done or not :)

Now that is scary! i did not know that! Cheers Ro ;)

But Matthew.... if your prescription isnt corrected completely, then they will tweak it again... end of.... once its done, its done.

Plus, lifetime aftercare.

READ MY POSTS TOO!!! lol.

But Matthew.... if your prescription isnt corrected completely, then they will tweak it again... end of.... once its done, its done.

Plus, lifetime aftercare.

READ MY POSTS TOO!!! lol.

But what Ro is saying is it might change a few years down the line. (which you would have to pay for again if you wanted it corrected once more). But what i'm thinking is what if for some reason you can't or won't have it done again down the line, then you would be stuck with glasses!! :scared:

P.s. Lifetime after care doesn't mean they will do it again for free if your eyes change naturally surely?! It's not their fault.

But what Ro is saying is it might change a few years down the line. (which you would have to pay for again if you wanted it corrected once more). But what i'm thinking is what if for some reason you can't or won't have it done again down the line, then you would be stuck with glasses!! :scared:

P.s. Lifetime after care doesn't mean they will do it again for free if your eyes change naturally surely?! It's not their fault.

I think what Lucy is saying it straight after the procedure (although this depends on the refractive error that's left). When a long sighted shift occurs this is harder to laser anyway - the principle of lasering a short sight person's eye is to reduce the corneal curve therefore making your eye weaker. For a long sighted person this would be the opposite and isn't done as commonly as it's harder. Plus you'd most likely be 50+ and have a weaker cornea anyway. I'd just get the cataract operation thing done at that time tbh.