Wish me luck...

Godmutha

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a stable prescription now for 12 months so I’m going to get it done.

My optician said that he see a number of surgeons that come into schrivens to have their contact lenses fitted! :blink: that's the scary bit!

Still like Branners says, I’ve never heard of any problems. Having said that, I’ve also heard that it's not the short term that matters, it's how it affects you on the long term, which cannot be ascertained yet because Laser Eye surgery is relatively "new".

I reckon I’m going to opt for the one eye at a time route.

Generally the people who have problems are very quiet about it as they don't like facing up to people saying anything about spending thousands and regretting it.

Problems to name a few will include

1. Dry eye - doesn't sound too bad but can be very sore and irreversible

2. Contrast Loss - causes night vision problems

3. Generally people who have laser surgery wear specs or contacts - sounds obvious doesn't it? But the if you're not left completely no prescription you'll still feel blurry and generally people still come in wanting driving glasses etc.

4. Does nothing for the longsighted shift that happens around 43 years old.

I could go on but the above is very common for people coming in after they've had it done. My mate who's an Optician was a -2.00 in each eye and was involved in the laser surgery for Optical Express, did the pre screenings and follow on aftercares. He said he'd never consider it and in the end left because of all the complaints.

Generally the people who have problems are very quiet about it as they don't like facing up to people saying anything about spending thousands and regretting it.

Problems to name a few will include

1. Dry eye - doesn't sound too bad but can be very sore and irreversible

2. Contrast Loss - causes night vision problems

3. Generally people who have laser surgery wear specs or contacts - sounds obvious doesn't it? But the if you're not left completely no prescription you'll still feel blurry and generally people still come in wanting driving glasses etc.

4. Does nothing for the longsighted shift that happens around 43 years old.

I could go on but the above is very common for people coming in after they've had it done. My mate who's an Optician was a -2.00 in each eye and was involved in the laser surgery for Optical Express, did the pre screenings and follow on aftercares. He said he'd never consider it and in the end left because of all the complaints.

You say 'very common' but as an optician you would only see the problems wouldnt you? So it might skew the figures.

If you can get hold of some official stats on this comparing the number who have it done with the number who have minor and major problems it would be great.

JB

Well I am back and having had a nap I feel find and dandy.:D

Thank you to everyone for the luck :)

When I got there, and the surgeon saw me, he decided it would be better for me to have the Lasek with Wavefront (where they cut the "flap" with a blade instead of the laser), I got a bit nervous at that point, but it was a completely painless proceedure, and I CAN SEE!!! :rolleyes:

And apparently, my vision is blurry and will improve over the next 48 hours or so. :search:

Right... there are risks, as with any surgery, but they are very small, and IMO they do make sure you are aware.

When I went for my consultation, there was three options,

£795 per eye for surface treatment

£1495 per eye for LASEK (with Wavefront)

£1795 per eye for LASIK (with Wavefront)

(These are particular to my perscription which was quite bad)

I went for the full gold star treatment, but as I said ended up havin the middle one in the end.

So yes, mine cost £3000... a lot of money, but when you think it's your sight, its worth it. I got a discount for booking it on the same day, and I also got a discount for being recommended by someone who'd had it done... (so let me know if any of you want my reccommendation ;))

I had contacts anyway, but all the little things that it was a pain to do were getting me down, like swimming, diving, walking in the country when it was windy, having a shower without getting water in your face etc etc, so I chose to get it done... and I am extremely happy with it already.

The price includes life time aftercare, so if it needs re-adjusting (which is unlikely), then they'll sort it.

The only thing which is possible I'm told is reading glasses when I hit 45-50 or so, which is a small price to pay IMO.

Each to their own anyway, but I dont regret it one bit....

Thanks again guys.... if anyone wants to know anything else, please ask away!

Well I am back and having had a nap I feel find and dandy.:D

Thank you to everyone for the luck :)

When I got there, and the surgeon saw me, he decided it would be better for me to have the Lasek with Wavefront (where they cut the "flap" with a blade instead of the laser), I got a bit nervous at that point, but it was a completely painless proceedure, and I CAN SEE!!! :rolleyes:

And apparently, my vision is blurry and will improve over the next 48 hours or so. :search:

Right... there are risks, as with any surgery, but they are very small, and IMO they do make sure you are aware.

When I went for my consultation, there was three options,

£795 per eye for surface treatment

£1495 per eye for LASEK (with Wavefront)

£1795 per eye for LASIK (with Wavefront)

(These are particular to my perscription which was quite bad)

I went for the full gold star treatment, but as I said ended up havin the middle one in the end.

So yes, mine cost £3000... a lot of money, but when you think it's your sight, its worth it. I got a discount for booking it on the same day, and I also got a discount for being recommended by someone who'd had it done... (so let me know if any of you want my reccommendation ;))

I had contacts anyway, but all the little things that it was a pain to do were getting me down, like swimming, diving, walking in the country when it was windy, having a shower without getting water in your face etc etc, so I chose to get it done... and I am extremely happy with it already.

The price includes life time aftercare, so if it needs re-adjusting (which is unlikely), then they'll sort it.

The only thing which is possible I'm told is reading glasses when I hit 45-50 or so, which is a small price to pay IMO.

Each to their own anyway, but I dont regret it one bit....

Thanks again guys.... if anyone wants to know anything else, please ask away!

Glad to hear it!! I'm jealous!

I wear contacts but I wouldn't mind having it done if it was problem free. My mates wife had it done and she was in agony for thee days afterwards. she's fine now but it put me off having it done.....:blink:

I may wait till I'm 43 thenmy sight won't change much after that.....;)

H.

My mates wife had it done and she was in agony for thee days afterwards

A whole 3 days?!?! :faint:

When did she have it done though? A lad from work had it done and came in the next day. Said it was like he had sand in his eyes that day but in the grand scheme of things; so little pain for so much gain :)

A whole 3 days?!?! :faint:

When did she have it done though? A lad from work had it done and came in the next day. Said it was like he had sand in his eyes that day but in the grand scheme of things; so little pain for so much gain :)

It was about 3 years ago. My mate Dave had to go home from work as she'd rang him in agony and wanted to go to the hospital. I don't think she actually went though but she wasn't happy, she now reckons it's the best thing she ever had done......:blink:

H.

It is the long term effects I am worried about - how do you know in 20 years time your eyes will be fine albeit maybe needing reading glasses. I'd like to know how they got to that conclusion?

Have they been testing laser eye surgeory for over 20 years?

Serious q., not being sarcastic

You say 'very common' but as an optician you would only see the problems wouldnt you? So it might skew the figures.

If you can get hold of some official stats on this comparing the number who have it done with the number who have minor and major problems it would be great.

JB

I've never seen any stats to be honest JB, i'm not sure if the clinics would welcome giving up those kind of figures. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the people I see are happy they had it done because they're willing to live with some of the side effects like loss of contrast - wouldn't bother someone who didn't do a lot of reading or night driving, i had a taxi driver in about a year ago who was in 2 minds about his job because his night vision was affected. He was 6/4 in each eye (20/12 equivalent, so 2 lines better than 20/20 on the chart) but he was sayin he can't see at night when he's driving now.

A lot of people come in who have had laser surgery for their routine checks as they should still get checked at the most every 2 years, most are using artificial lubricating drops still - some don't mind, some people never shut up moaning about it. There are also cases were there's rebound myopia. One bloke who was lasered the year earlier was a -4.00 again now which was worse than his original prescription. These are one of cases of course but i'm just 1 optician, my housemate's an optician too and he says he gets the same kind of complaints.

To be honest, it's hard for me to judge as i don't need glasses. I work as a locum so i'm not tied to 1 company, i work for most of them on different days to be honest so spectacle sales have no impact on me; the companies are just happy enough to get a day's clinic out of the opticians at the minute (in the North East anyway). I wouldn't be willing to get my eyes lasered though, not until a lot of the issues now are resolved, mainly, Dry Eye.

Some people are paying extra to have intraocular implants done privately (same as a cataract operation) as these are much more problem free. The only stumbling block here is the implants are non accommodating so you need reading glasses straight away and are reliant on them. They are working on accommodating implants and they do exist, but they're crap at the minute. I'd be more willing to have that operation to be honest as the longsighted shift with age doesn't really happen as much then as it's your own ocular lens that hardens with age leading to the shift in your 40s. If that's removed that process doesn't happen as it's at it's end point already BUT you need reading specs.

I may wait till I'm 43 thenmy sight won't change much after that.....;)

H.

I hope you're joking :D

And breathe.....

Exactly, 3 days in comparrison to the rest of your life. Got to be worth it as long as you don't get complications

If you don't get the complications it's great - the problem is, th complications are completely irreversible. It's hard to have someone in your chair saying "surely there's a drop better than what's out there now" or "surely there's something in the pipeline that will help my night vision" and you're there just saying that there really isn't anything that can be done right now.

Don't forget also, if you do end up with prescription afterwards, it's VERY unlikely you could wear contact lenses again as the cornea is too fragile after laser surgery.

If you don't get the complications it's great - the problem is, th complications are completely irreversible. It's hard to have someone in your chair saying "surely there's a drop better than what's out there now" or "surely there's something in the pipeline that will help my night vision" and you're there just saying that there really isn't anything that can be done right now.

Don't forget also, if you do end up with prescription afterwards, it's VERY unlikely you could wear contact lenses again as the cornea is too fragile after laser surgery.

Yup. Which is why I am hestitant - I'll let the guinea pigs test it first and I'll decide in 5-10 years time :D

My original q. still stands, which I believe no-one can realistically answer

It is the long term effects I am worried about - how do you know in 20 years time your eyes will be fine albeit maybe needing reading glasses. I'd like to know how they got to that conclusion?

Have they been testing laser eye surgery for over 20 years?

Serious q., not being sarcastic

It's like this ipod/mp3 generation. I'd love to know what our generation will be like in 15 years time when the western population is largely deaf.

Losing eyesight and hearing would be a v.bad combination. For that reason I have no ipod or laser surgeory. My guinea pig analysis of wait and see the results will prove very interesting.

I had mine lasered at Optimax in 2001 - my sight just got better and better afterwards - its been perfect for years now. Had an eye test a few months ago and everything is still 20-20! Best money I've ever spent (and that includes the Supra!!!)