The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nostalgia:- First book you remember reading

Charlotte

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind trying to remember what my first book was, I can't really remember my childhood! Oh dear am I getting old? :(

Except for the Famous Five, Ladybird books and Lego, there's not a lot else I remember from those early years, but it was enjoyable all the same. I think. ;)

Good thread.

I was pretty late to reading. I can't remember the really early stuff, but at eight or nine I read Stig of the Dump (Clive King) and Island of the Blue Dolphins (Scott O' Dell). Both great books.

I also read Christine Pullein-Thomson's Phantom Horse and Phantom Horse Come Home. Written firmly with little girls in mind, reading these is obviously what turned me into a gay do-gooding tw*t and not able to do metalwork or woodwork.

From ten onwards it was Marvel comics, and from there Science Fiction (e.g. E.E. Doc Smith's Lensman books) and 1930s pulp fiction (e.g. "Doc Savage").

At 15-16, from sci-fi to medieval literature (mainly Icelandic sagas) , so I guess I was 17 or so before I read my first grown up novels (sci-fi doesn't count :)), which were John Dos Passos USA and Sartre's Age of Reason.

I liked it when Gandhi couldn't stand up on the ice and Thumper kept skating round him shouting "C'mon Gandhi!". But then I got all upset when the hunter shot Gandhi's mother, Putilabi.

Have you seen the other one about the rabbits?

Watergate Down? :taped:

The first 'proper' book, as in it wasn't just thick pieces of card with big text on them, that I remember reading was Zozu The Robot.

My father owned a bookshop and, as a bit of a child loner, I read anything I could get from him.

Went to middle school and in one lesson my teacher suggested (based on my interests) that I might like to read The Hobbit and LotR when I was bit older.

I'd already read them and said so. Teacher accused me of fibbing. I insisted that I had. He then tested my knowledge and understanding of the books in front of everyone. I wound up making him look stupid when he tried to trick me. That day, I believe, set the tone for the rest of my life.

Watership Down? that made me cry :(

His 'joke' made me cry! ;)

The film of Watership Down always makes me cry! :cry:

As for the famous five, I was very, very young when I read them, and I had all 21 books in the series too. I didn't detect any 'gayness' in them whatsoever, even though I had a 'soft' spot for George, and I have no idea why! ;)

I liked it when Gandhi couldn't stand up on the ice and Thumper kept skating round him shouting "C'mon Gandhi!". But then I got all upset when the hunter shot Gandhi's mother, Putilabi.

Have you seen the other one about the rabbits?

Watergate Down? :taped:

silly buggers!!!:p:D:D