The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Biker jailed for 122mph

hogmaw

i think 6 months in prison for breaking a speed limit sounds harsh, he didnt crash, didnt injure anyone, didnt cause any damage to anything, all he did was go over a speed limit.

i wonder what other crimes you would have to commit to get a 6 month sentance and i bet they are a lot worse than speeding

i think 6 months in prison for breaking a speed limit sounds harsh, he didnt crash, didnt injure anyone, didnt cause any damage to anything, all he did was go over a speed limit.

i wonder what other crimes you would have to commit to get a 6 month sentance and i bet they are a lot worse than speeding

:rolleyes:

Although there is a certain logic to your post I don't think society would be in good order if we all took that stance. If I walk into a busy pub, twirl around and fire 100 bullets from a machine gun and somehow not manage to hit anyone, should I be let off on the basis that no one was hurt??;)

The guy was massively irresponsible, the conditions, the speed and the fact that he had someone elses life in his hands will have contributed towards the verdict. I personally don't see it as a malicious crime such as mugging or assault but I think he has been made an example of how reckless speeding will not be tolerated..!!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Took the penis out of your mouth.....:blink:

H.

His big mistake was not being a professional footballer

England international footballer Joey Barton was jailed for six months yesterday for a "violent and cowardly attack"...

CCTV footage showed Barton rain up to 20 punches on an unknown man, in what the judge, Henry Globe, called a "violent and cowardly attack". Barton, 25, from Widnes, came out of the restaurant, knocked the man to the ground, then straddled him and punched him four or five times as his cousin threw food. He was seen to punch the man up to 15 times more.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/21/newcastleunited.ukcrime

His big mistake was not being a professional footballer

England international footballer Joey Barton was jailed for six months yesterday for a "violent and cowardly attack"...

CCTV footage showed Barton rain up to 20 punches on an unknown man, in what the judge, Henry Globe, called a "violent and cowardly attack". Barton, 25, from Widnes, came out of the restaurant, knocked the man to the ground, then straddled him and punched him four or five times as his cousin threw food. He was seen to punch the man up to 15 times more.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/21/newcastleunited.ukcrime

Woulda been 12 months, but it wasn't in the rain, and he was wearing his leathers

Tell me - whats the big deal about the kid wearing or not wearing leathers / protectors - a crash at that sort of speed would surely turn them into worm food?

Proper leathers will give you a lot of protection, providing you don't slide into a post or another car. Coming off wearing just T-Shirt doesn't bear thinking about.

There was a video on the news last night, and it didnt look that fast, 120 i would have expected him to have to lean on that bend a fair bit, but bike was almost upright, didnt even look massivly wet to me

i do aggree the kid on the back should have had some form of protection on hands etc but i think the sentance was harsh

I think this country is obsessed by the word 'speed' when it comes to road safety.

From the police video shown on the news it looked fairly 'safe' to me. I mean no other people were in immediate danger. And its not as if the guy on the bike is looking to sell drugs, rob a shop, steal other people's property, or even run a bank into financial trouble that will cost the tax payer billions etc.

;)

Guest Garfy

Although there is a certain logic to your post I don't think society would be in good order if we all took that stance. If I walk into a busy pub, twirl around and fire 100 bullets from a machine gun and somehow not manage to hit anyone, should I be let off on the basis that no one was hurt??;)

The guy was massively irresponsible, the conditions, the speed and the fact that he had someone elses life in his hands will have contributed towards the verdict. I personally don't see it as a malicious crime such as mugging or assault but I think he has been made an example of how reckless speeding will not be tolerated..!!

Took the penis out of your mouth.....:blink:

H.

I dont really know what the answer is here, the biker has undoubtedly been very irresponsible, but as Paul says, he hasn't actually hurt or harmed anyone, all he has done is allowed his speed to increase above the limit, ok in this case well above the limit, but I would imagine thats rather easy to do on a bike like that, as it is in our cars (I'm not a biker so don't hold me to that)

But on the other hand Havard also makes a very good point, although I dont think taking a tool designed for the purpose of killing people as an example is a direct comparision

I don't know what would have been the correct thing to do in this case, but I dont think prison is the right thing.