The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZ Vs 2JZ for RX7 Track Car

Peter P

when people say to me thier hard driven 13b has had a few rebuilds i automatically think Rotor/gasket/seal basically like a 30K service on a 2JZ except we only need Plugs and an oil change usually

EDIT And by your last comment, your confusing me with Peter...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well clarify what the rebuilds were for before you start making up numbers... when people say rebuilds people automatically assume it means a blown engine... as i said i followed their time attack car... may i ask if any of Whifbitzs supras engines needed rebuilds? Lets be fair here, no?

As someone on the Garage Whifbitz team, I think I can safely make the comment regarding the number of rebuilds the car has had as this followed my conversation with Paul himself! I am in no way 'making stuff up' as I was keen to run a 13B myself but was steered towards the 1 or 2JZ by Paul.

In answer to your other point none of the Supra engines has failed. The worst incident on record was Steve Linton's turbo blowing up and catching fire (I was in the passenger seat at the time!:D).

The simple fact is the running costs of the Whifbitz Rex were huge and could have been avoided with a stronger, more reliable and hard wearing 1 or 2JZ engine.

By all means ask Paul or Dazza as they should confirm this.

Pete

Just to add:

Paul and Steve have uprated engines so rebuilt internals with forged pistons, head work etc.

Ben has a standard 2JZ with light head work and cams.

Steve's car was only rebuilt recently but that was a scheduled rebuild and not due to failure.

The Whifbitz Rex has had replacement engines due to failure as well as trying out different porting options (started as a street port then a half bridge port).

The failures were not at Time Attack events but during the testing which I attend as support crew.

Pete

Guest Dangerous D

Better step in ah Pete :)

Right 6 engines isn't right m8 you must be a bit confused

Season 1 : Std engine T88, blow it because cooling wasn't right and needed the V mount.

1st rebuild street port worked wonders all year and was abused :) and still worked fine when it was sold on to another track RX7.

Season 2 : Very Large experimental street port worked very well 649Hp until we had a small crack apear in spark plug thread which was S/H rotor housing from unknown car.

2nd Rebuild :Still not engine builder or Rotoray problem, we decided for more power and poss better spool up Small bridge port.

Never really worked well for us as we had a oiling issue and was abit to smokey for a bridge.

This is when we stripped down that engine 3 times to try and sort it and to find out what was causing the oil issue. We couldn't find anything and ended up changing all the parts except main housing, so we think it had a hairline crack somewhere and was opening up when temp started to rise.

We still run this engine for the rest of the season without issue except we took lots of oil with us :) and it was still near the top with trap speeds not bad for a engine with a slight issue.

So to sum it up NO real problems except faulty rotor housing which would be fine if you wanted all new stuff.

If I was to do it again I would have the large street port back and I abused the rotary engine more than anyone seeing 10,000 rpm in a few sessions :) @ 1.4bar and optimax fuel unheard off in rotary land, most RX7 people wouldn't go over 1.1bar without a splash of race fuel.

Pete ask me before people get upset :)

You will be ok with any engine m8 you don't drive hard enough :) :)

Guest JAP4LIFE
As someone on the Garage Whifbitz team, I think I can safely make the comment regarding the number of rebuilds the car has had as this followed my conversation with Paul himself! I am in no way 'making stuff up' as I was keen to run a 13B myself but was steered towards the 1 or 2JZ by Paul.

In answer to your other point none of the Supra engines has failed. The worst incident on record was Steve Linton's turbo blowing up and catching fire (I was in the passenger seat at the time!:D).

The simple fact is the running costs of the Whifbitz Rex were huge and could have been avoided with a stronger, more reliable and hard wearing 1 or 2JZ engine.

By all means ask Paul or Dazza as they should confirm this.

Pete

You must be a BIG part of the whifbitz team hey? OWNED. You got told mate.

But that's what you get for making things up. All i asked for was a FAIR opinion of the car which you did not give but instead tried to downtalk an engine and a car which is reliable.

What you said seems like a sale pitch but trying to make a sales pitch on lies is wrong.

Thank you Darren for clearing this mess up and showing the abuse that car took and stating the REAL facts. I have a lot of respect for you coming on here and saying what you did.

J4L

Edited by JAP4LIFE (see edit history)

You must be a BIG part of the whifbitz team hey? OWNED. You got told mate.

But that's what you get for making things up. All i asked for was a FAIR opinion of the car which you did not give but instead tried to downtalk an engine and a car which is reliable. I should know I have had a 450+bhp rex (only on 1.2 bar with a small/meduim turbo) for 3 years on the same engine and its always been taken to the limit every time I have driven it.

What you said seems like a sale pitch but trying to make a sales pitch on lies is wrong.

Thank you Darren for clearing this mess up and showing the abuse that car took and stating the REAL facts. I have a lot of respect for you coming on here and saying what you did.

J4L

Difference is unlike most I will apologise and admit I made a mistake and thank Daz for clarifying the actual statistics.

The point of this thread originally was to decide on which engine would suit my project car best not to be an arse and slag off anyone or anything!

I'm a supporter of the 13B as I said but feel a 1JZ will offer greater useability and reliability for my needs than the 13B would.

Nothing more and nothing less!

As for my part in the team, i'd like to think I do my bit not that it's anything to do with you.

Now as the thread title states 1JZ vs 2JZ for my Rex unless you have something relevant to add...... sod off!

Pete :)

Better step in ah Pete :)

Right 6 engines isn't right m8 you must be a bit confused

Season 1 : Std engine T88, blow it because cooling wasn't right and needed the V mount.

1st rebuild street port worked wonders all year and was abused :) and still worked fine when it was sold on to another track RX7.

Season 2 : Very Large experimental street port worked very well 649Hp until we had a small crack apear in spark plug thread which was S/H rotor housing from unknown car.

2nd Rebuild :Still not engine builder or Rotoray problem, we decided for more power and poss better spool up Small bridge port.

Never really worked well for us as we had a oiling issue and was abit to smokey for a bridge.

This is when we stripped down that engine 3 times to try and sort it and to find out what was causing the oil issue. We couldn't find anything and ended up changing all the parts except main housing, so we think it had a hairline crack somewhere and was opening up when temp started to rise.

We still run this engine for the rest of the season without issue except we took lots of oil with us :) and it was still near the top with trap speeds not bad for a engine with a slight issue.

So to sum it up NO real problems except faulty rotor housing which would be fine if you wanted all new stuff.

If I was to do it again I would have the large street port back and I abused the rotary engine more than anyone seeing 10,000 rpm in a few sessions :) @ 1.4bar and optimax fuel unheard off in rotary land, most RX7 people wouldn't go over 1.1bar without a splash of race fuel.

Pete ask me before people get upset :)

You will be ok with any engine m8 you don't drive hard enough :) :)

Noted and will clarify although this was not meant to offend anyone and actually relates to my car and my choice of engine not the Whifbitz Rex which you campaigned.

Pete

Guest JAP4LIFE
:D Dangerous D lost me a bit there but sounds like the engine was striped down and put back together 5 times along with one engine being sold off so Pete was not to far out.

Lol I am not suprised you were lost with the comment you came out with above.

It might have been hard for you to comprehend what Darren meant but most people would have got the idea. You seem to be in the miniority who would struggle to understand Darren's comments.

:search:

Edited by JAP4LIFE (see edit history)

Guest JAP4LIFE
After he said it was rebuilt the second time he also says it was stripped down a further 3 times to try and sort a oil issue, does that not add up to 5 then?

Cheeky $#@!er aint ya, as Pete said SOD OFF.

Someone is a bit touchy ;)

Anyway as you still struggle to understand i shall explain to you what the conclusion from the above events are.

1) The engine was not rebuilt 6 times

2) The car drove fine in the last season it was stripped to sort a problem that does NOT amount to a rebuild sonny.

3) The car took a hella lot of abuse and still handled it.

4) There is a difference between stripping down to solve a problem and rebuilding because parts were damaged.

5) The RX7 was the fastest out of all the cars on show from Whifbitz. Take a look at lap times buddy.

1. You are a cock and i never said it was rebuilt 6 times, i said 5.

2. You are a cock and if the engine is out and stripped down to find a problem then put back together again is that a service then? and im not your "sonny".

3. You are a cock and im glad it took a lot of abuse.

4 You are a cock just because i like saying it.

5 You are a cock and who said anything about how fast it is? "buddy"

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Guest JAP4LIFE

So Jamie.

If that is the case that if you strip your engine to solve a problem it amounts to a rebuild then a hella lot of people have had rebuilds, even on this forum, but shhh everyone keeps quiet about it.

:cool:

So Jamie.

If that is the case that if you strip your engine to solve a problem it amounts to a rebuild then a hella lot of people have had rebuilds, even on this forum, but shhh everyone keeps quiet about it.

:cool:

What would you call an engine thats using a lot of oil pulled out, stripped down and put back together then?:rolleyes: go away.

Guest JAP4LIFE

Oh and mods i find this behaviour by Jamie unacceptable.

It is disgraceful and uncalled for.

All was fine until Jamie decided to come into the fray and try and be smart with his cheeky comment.

One thing is for sure Jamie a lot of people on this forum and other forums have had to do that. But they don't call it a rebuild. I know of type r engines that have gone in for oil problems but oh no that was not a rebuild. Those engines are bullet proof :o

I know supra engines that have gone in to fix a problem but that was not a rebuild either. You go figure since you are the one coming to the conclusion that stripping to fix an oil problem amounts to a rebuild.

All was fine until Jamie decided to come into the fray and try and be smart with his cheeky comment.

You are the one that started with the cheeky comments, I cant comprehend what darren was saying when clearly i can and its you that can not, calling Pete a liar because he was one rebuild out (or is that engine out and strip down now called a service?)

I know i should know better than feed the trolls, go away and stop clogging up Pete's thread.

My thanks to the mods for cleaning this up. :thumbs:

As I tried to clarify, this was never about the Whifbitz RX7 or the 13B engine as the thread title suggests.

Sorry to Jamie P for getting dragged in to this as I had a suspicion this was someone out to cause trouble from the start!

Why people go looking to cause trouble I don't know but thanks to all for the support! :D

Pete :)