The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZ Vs 2JZ for RX7 Track Car

Peter P

Not ordered mine as the exchange rate is so awful at the moment with the pound/dollar! :(

Do you need to confirm the engine your going with when you order or does the one kit do both the 1/2JZ engines??

Cheers.

Pete :D

na aint bought it yet aswell as all the other stuff i need from them as u say pound is down to 1.4 i think and with any luck it will go back up i believe the same kit does both engines , i was hopeing to get the engine box loom etc 1st so i can get them refurbed rebuilt and painted with any luck it should be done for august ish there is a video on you tube ov there kit and ya can buy the conversion dvd from http://www.drifting.com think with postage mine was $32 but it aint turned up yet been 3 weeks now

Have been e-mailing Sean at Tech2 on and off with a few questions so far and he confirmed the DVD comes free when you order their kit so will wait for that I reckon!

Let me know what you think of it though mate!

Cheers.

Pete :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rx7rusty

heya matey i am also starting a 1/2jz conversion in a rex and i would reccomend getting in touch with the people at tech2, they have been very helpful with me and offer alot of services to make it a very easy conversion

hope this helps mate

Sounds like a great car, always loved the RX7 but been put off by the engine, with the prices of the 1jz and the higher revving id go with that.

How much does a full weight Rx7 weigh in at and whats the expected stripped out weight?

When are you looking at starting the project Peter? are you doing it yourself or is whifbitz building it? keep us informed on the build.

Sounds like a great car, always loved the RX7 but been put off by the engine, with the prices of the 1jz and the higher revving id go with that.

How much does a full weight Rx7 weigh in at and whats the expected stripped out weight?

When are you looking at starting the project Peter? are you doing it yourself or is whifbitz building it? keep us informed on the build.

Thanks Jamie! :cool:

I'll be tackling some of the work myself but Whifbitz will be helping a lot along the way!! :D

The project has already started as I sourced a good solid rolling shell a couple of months ago from Carl at Hayward Rotary so getting the spec lined up in my head and saving furiously! (got the mortgage, family etc and new kitchen/bathroom to pay for!!).

There really is no timescale involved as it'll be done as and when I can afford it. The kit from Tech2 will not be bought until the exchange rate improves that much I do know! :eyebrows:;)

Should be a superb car with Paul and Dazza onboard!! :D It's one of those times where I defintley have the right friends!!! :cool:

Will probably run a thread when work starts properly but that's the weld in cage which is ££££!!!

Oops! forgot to answer your question on weight!!! :blink:

Looks like the curb weight of a stock FD Rex is around 1,100KG so dipping under the 1,000KG mark should be achievable!

The 1JZ adds around 60KG but with fibreglass panels, stripped interior and Dazza let loose with an airsaw (his favorite toy!:D) as well as lexan it should be light and perform well once the setup is sorted.

Oops! forgot to answer your question on weight!!! :blink:

Looks like the curb weight of a stock FD Rex is around 1,100KG so dipping under the 1,000KG mark should be achievable!

The 1JZ adds around 60KG but with fibreglass panels, stripped interior and Dazza let loose with an airsaw (his favorite toy!:D) as well as lexan it should be light and perform well once the setup is sorted.

mine is all fibre except the shell bumpers doors bootlid bonnet front and rear arches so i wont have to do much cutting except the new bonnet by the way wot you gonna do with yours cos the jz sits alot higher also did you know bout the clearence probs with both brake and clutch servos?

mine is all fibre except the shell bumpers doors bootlid bonnet front and rear arches so i wont have to do much cutting except the new bonnet by the way wot you gonna do with yours cos the jz sits alot higher also did you know bout the clearence probs with both brake and clutch servos?

I thought the Tech2 kit solved all the problems??? :search:

If not, I'll be relying on the skills of Paul and Dazza from Whifbitz who have done some suberb fabrication work since we started doing Time Attack.

Where did you source the carbon fibre stuff out of interest?? :eyebrows:

I thought the Tech2 kit solved all the problems??? :search:

If not, I'll be relying on the skills of Paul and Dazza from Whifbitz who have done some suberb fabrication work since we started doing Time Attack.

Where did you source the carbon fibre stuff out of interest?? :eyebrows:

na not carbon fibre i wish u can get the full kits carbon from america tho mine just fibre glass, the servo has clearence probs because they are american they are left hand drive over there so the kits made for them but i heard if you single turbo it then theres no probs :eyebrows:

are the 1jz and 2jz single turbo exhaust manifold the same?

Nope, though there are a lot of great 1jz manifolds out there. My fav is this undivided one that should help regarding a swap i.e. steering rack and brake booster clearances...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/zoonwen/DSC00039

or the Drewgo

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2260000-2260999/2260807_94_full.jpg

Edited by bondango (see edit history)

I bought one off ebay for my project but the t67 turbo i bought wont fit the manifold as it fouls on the cam box cover it needs another 50mm on each tube if that makes sence. the 2js manifolds are cheaper and easyer to get hold of just wondering if it will fit as ive got loads of room to play with

its parrallel mate even if i changed the orientation of the flange to get it to clear the exhaust would foul the head

Well, you can change the Orientation of the Flange, but that means reworking the Downpipe so it bends away from the head before exiting downward.

But TBH to save the hassle i would just get a T78 based manifold (designed to allow large comp housing clearance)

Marty

Well, you can change the Orientation of the Flange, but that means reworking the Downpipe so it bends away from the head before exiting downward.

But TBH to save the hassle i would just get a T78 based manifold (designed to allow large comp housing clearance)

Marty

T78/88 is a taller turbo though, he would have to space it up to gain clearance if he used that manifold, i had to use a 15mm spacer when i fitted a gt4088 to a T88 manifold and it only just cleared the runners.

T78/88 is a taller turbo though, he would have to space it up to gain clearance if he used that manifold, i had to use a 15mm spacer when i fitted a gt4088 to a T88 manifold and it only just cleared the runners.

I know what you mean with the 2jz as we got away with rotating the turbo flange and clocking the housing slightly to clear the no.1 runner on the 4088r, without having to raise the turbo.

The T78/88 manifold im referring too for the 1jz is a bit different, in that its actually customed designed to your specific needs. i.e. flange size and hieght, wasgte gate type. The company also do a 2jz one which i believe there are no clearance issues with.

Its also a divided Flange which is rare on a Sub £200 manifold

Ps sorry about spelling...few drinks :(

Edited by bondango (see edit history)

I know what you mean with the 2jz as we got away with rotating the turbo flange and clocking the housing slightly to clear the no.1 runner on the 4088r, without having to raise the turbo.

The T78/88 manifold im referring too for the 1jz is a bit different, in that its actually customed designed to your specific needs. i.e. flange size and hieght, wasgte gate type. The company also do a 2jz one which i believe there are no clearance issues with.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/f4/86/6937_1.JPG

Its also a divided Flange which is rare on a Sub £200 manifold

Ps sorry about spelling...few drinks :(

Spelling is better than a lot of the peeps on here without drink! :p;)

Judging by the above, I'm VERY glad to have met you and can see you'll be a great help with my project in the future! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JAP4LIFE
As you may be aware we ran a 13B powered Rex in Time Attack Pro last season at the capable hands of Darren Robinson (Whifbitz Workshop Manager) which had something like 6 13B rebuilds in the course of it's life!! :blink:

The reliability of the 13B is questionable at best and even with thorough maintenance, they seem to fail quite frequently and cost over £1K to rebuild!!

What I want is reliability and the 13B just won't cut it i'm afraid!

I had toyed with a 3S-GTE as it worked with good effect on the Top Secret Supra which would have been a heavier base car than the Rex and is pretty reliable when built properly.

Another idea is the new Renesis wankel rotary found in the RX8 as to my knowledge, no one has fitted one of these in a RX7 (waits to be proven wrong!!). A lot of the issues with the 13B seem to have been ironed out in the RX8 Renesis engine as well as better apex seals etc so maybe this could work?!

I think the 1JZ/2JZ would be easier as it's well documented and you can buy a kit designed specifically for the job rather than custom fabrication which we all know costs big bucks! ;)

I've been following your car since you started Time Attack.... So are you saying the car blew up 6 times? :rolleyes: I'm sure there are some Supra engines that have had breathing problems.... :spank: Please be accurate with your numbers and don't make stuff up? :rolleyes: I know for a fact it never blew up six times

Guest JAP4LIFE

Well clarify what the rebuilds were for before you start making up numbers... when people say rebuilds people automatically assume it means a blown engine... as i said i followed their time attack car... may i ask if any of Whifbitzs supras engines needed rebuilds? Lets be fair here, no?