The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damage Caused By Running Out of Fuel???

Mrs H

Don't you have to bleed diesel's when they run out.

I suspect this is another gloat thread..

:)

Its a 58 plate, I'll have you know......:rolleyes::D

Well, ran out of fuel as I forgot to take my wallet to football. I still thought that it would get me home but hey ho..!!

After a lot of aggro we got some fuel and put it in the car. I coughed and spluttered it's way to the petrol station and cut out about a dozen times. I thought that the lines were air locked and maybe the AA/RAC would have to bleed them. Rang the RAC for some advice and before I knew it they had sent a patrol out.....:blink: I didn't want to put £60 of diesel in, in case they needed to drain it. The guy turned up, told me to fill it up and the car ran perfect after a few seconds..!!:innocent::rolleyes:

Looks like even though I put a gallon of fuel in, it was still sucking air into the fuel pipes. This has surprised me tbh...!!

H.

Modern diesel's actually make the engine cut out, introducing missfires and cut off to prevent any damage caused by fuel starvation :thumbs:

Something I used to do..... if you have a Ford Focus diesel Mk1 or 1.5 and can manage to run it out of fuel before the programmed misfire and shutdown then I'll eat my hat :D

H, sounds like you bought an inferior make if it doesn't have rundry protection :rlol:

Something I used to do..... if you have a Ford Focus diesel Mk1 or 1.5 and can manage to run it out of fuel before the programmed misfire and shutdown then I'll eat my hat :D

H, sounds like you bought an inferior make if it doesn't have rundry protection :rlol:

I saw the gauge below the final red line and played the optiism card.....:innocent:

I am still surprised that it ran out. My Audi A3 will run for ever with the yellow light on....:D

H.