The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aston Martin V8 Vantage ?

Jake

Lots of helpful posts! Thanks chaps.

Opinion seems mostly positive. I need to do a lot more homework into these cars yet but I'm really keen now.

I told the Mrs last night. She wasn't keen, cos off the cost, but she didn't say she'd kick me out - so that's a "Go for it" in my book.

quote=TLicense;2287043]Ooohhh look at you billy big-time! You been robbing banks Jake?! :p I wish I was, Tony mate. I'll have to sell my M3 and Supra to be able to afford one of these but I think it'd be worth it. As long as they don't have Ferrari levels of maintenance cost, I think that would spoil the pleasure.

It says hedge fund manager (previous owner?) or footballer's car.
That's a bad thing? It doesn't put me off the car in the slightest tbh John.

Supras have a terrible image in the public perception, way worse than any Aston - do we care?

only one that kept its value the le_mans version
That's good. If the Vantage hadn't depreciated so much I wouldn't be able to consider one.

Jake, if you want the contact of someone at Aston in warranty PM me and I can put you in touch with someone, they'll have a much better idea of all the costs related to servicing and fixing a V8. Or if you just want to PM some of your more important questions, I'll ask them myself during the week.
Thanks Ben, much appreciated mate.

Go for it, Jake.

There's a lot of people on here who'd swear blind that they'd never spend that much on a car that was slower than a singled Supra or that they'd buy half a dozen Supras for the price of an Aston.

I'm pretty sure that nearly all of them would jump at the chance if they actually had the money to buy an AM.

Tick the box then get some pics up.

I was after one last year (before this damn recession kicked in :D), they were pretty expensive though. If I was given the choice between that & the 911 the 911 wins everytime (no matter how common they are).

I agree they are georgous & very rare, but the lack of power is a big turn off for me. I had enough money to buy one to play 2nd fiddle to the 911 then I would, but it would in reality become car number 5, and be driven less than the 911 (maybe a couple of k a year) which makes it a comlete waste of money.

I know very little about them but if i had the money i certainly would.

How are Aston Martin as a company financially, do they have good stocks of parts are they coping with the credit crunch.

what happens if they go under ?

Although this type of car has been badly hit price wise (which is a good thing and maybe why you are looking at them) how much further are they going to fall is the big question.

Im sure you will do your homework and get a good deal as there are certainly a lot of those around at the moment.

post up pics when you get one :)

How are Aston Martin as a company financially, do they have good stocks of parts are they coping with the credit crunch.

what happens if they go under ?

Aston is owned by a Dave Richards (Prodrive) led consortium, backed by some rather rich gentlemen in the middle east, so they will not be going anywhere.

Despite being a Corvette owner, (the opposition!) I've always said that I'll have one one day - just as soon as I can afford one. I had noticed they were coming down to £40k ish too!

AM factory staff are on a 3 day week at the moment and they've just laid off a load of staff. Apparently they won't have a 'factory' presence at Le Mans this year, so things are not brilliant with the company just now. But then, what car manufacturer IS enjoying the current economic climate? GM certainly aren't! We're still waiting for confirmation the Corvette Racing will be going to Le Mans this year.

Anyway - the car. Running costs are definitely high. I know that even the DB7 had some hugely expensive parts. Headlights were about a grand a side - and part way through the production run, they changed the design of them and the old shape of light was discontinued - completely. After that, if you broke one, you had to buy both! But that's not the Vantage. I love the look of the Vantage. It's a compact looking package, seems to be beautifully put together inside and is certainly more exclusive than Porsche. Stratton motor company is just down the road from me. Maybe give them a call and speak to Jon Stokes - he's one of the sales staff there who is a petrol head - goes to Le Mans on a regular basis and is enthusiastic. I'm sure he'd help you out with some info.

Aston is owned by a Dave Richards (Prodrive) led consortium, backed by some rather rich gentlemen in the middle east, so they will not be going anywhere.

People don't get rich by hanging on to a company that's losing them cash. If it's not making money, he'll sell it.

And as if by magic.....For Sale

was visiting a customer today and they had a v8 vantage so had a good luck round it, i love them and the v8 is one of the best sounding cars around, the guy reversed it into his garage and even blipping the throttle it sounded lovely :)