The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Ford Focus RS, are we worried??? Not Really.

toyotasupra1980

http://motoring.sky.com/UserFiles/Image/Blog/RS-tech-1.jpg

Figures

The track will be 40mm wider than the Ford Focus ST and the Borg Warner K16 turbo offers a maximum boost pressure of 1.4 bar - that’s double that of the ST. Oh yeah, Ford has even employed a ‘sound symposer’ to work on how the RS sounds both inside and outside the cabin. We’re expecting some serious noise now.

Apparently, previous Focus RS owners were approached about the development of the next car and they offered four main priorities: more power, greater stability, durable circuit performance and greater everyday comfort. There’s only five more days until we find out if RS project leader Jost Capito has delivered.

Model - Ford Focus RS

Price – £24,995

Engine - 2522cc, 20V with Borg-Warner K16 turbocharger

Power – 301bhp at 6500rpm

Torque – 440NM at 2300-4500rpm

MPG – 30.5mpg (combined), 21.0mpg (urban)

Transmission – 6-speed manual with synchromesh on all ratios

Differential – Mechanical, Quaife helical limited slip differential

Front suspension – Independent MacPherson struts, gas-filled dampers, anti-roll bar (thickened to 24mm), Ford RevoKnuckle

Rear suspension – Multi-link system, gas-filled dampers, anti-roll bar (thickened to 24mm)

Tyres – bespoke Continental 235/35 R19

0-62mph – 5.9secs

Top Speed – 163mph

CO2 – 225g/km (Group F)

Turning circle – 12.2m

Fuel tank – 62-litres

Service intervals – Every 12,500-miles

oppinions people??? i made mine added into the title, looks nice not really worried about this green apple.:D:D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still maintain that, in the sort of traffic conditions that a majority of us spend our time, a car like this or the Megane R will be a much more suitable weapon.

Of course, if all that matters to you is how the Supra "totally f***ing rulez everything EVAR" in a YAWN inducing straight line drag on a m-way then obviously you'll find it lacking.

Like I said in the last thread about the new RS I'd happily have one over my aged Supra but if I had £25k to spend on a car I'm not sure it would be top of the list.

FWD but probably handles better than 90% of the cars on here.

I agree, on sharp turn into the country lanes, The problem with cars now, is that it takes drivers instinct and skill and throws it out the window, allowing people to trust the technology only and pushing the car to the limit, thats when things start to go wrong, people seem to think all the computer gismo's and high tec will get them out of trouble.:search:

Like I said in the last thread about the new RS I'd happily have one over my aged Supra but if I had £25k to spend on a car I'm not sure it would be top of the list.

FWD but probably handles better than 90% of the cars on here.

I feel you are mistaken, after all the Supra is the only car in the entire world.

Well so I read all the time on here.

I quite like it.

The handling will be better than the supra but then the chassis has new design new materials, new electronics etc etc,

At the end of the day give both cars to a proper racing driver let him switch off traction control in both cars and then let’s see how well it handles compared to a Supra, it will probably still be better but not by much I reckon.

Not only that a FWD car with 300bhp without some sort of control over the power (traction control or a cleaver electronic diff) won’t be enjoyable... I had a 2003 Civic Type R (197bhp) and found it irritating that 1st and 2nd gear were pretty much useless when it came to "faster" driving so much so i went a bought a Supra....

TBH I can’t see having a FWD 300bhp car tamed by electronics and cleaver diff's will be any different, your still either gonna be scrambling for grip and not getting very far on acceleration or be disappointed when the electronics holds back the power.

New Ford's = Fail ........bring back the cosworth's (meat and pie engineering)