The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mk1 aristo auto box slipping

shaunmcintyre

I have been slowly tunning mk1 aristo over the last couple of years.

I had a new aem stand alone ECU fitted recently, it has done about 800 miles since fitting. The auto box started slipping whilst away at Luton, so I topped up the trans with atf and now its overfilled.

The car drove back fine to Southampton which was 100 miles, then started playing up when I got back, not selecting any gears. If I leave it a while then its fine, then not and so on.

Is the problem ecu related, or clutch? I'm not sure, I am a bit thick really :(:(

Edited by Kranz
Spelling & grammar (see edit history)

OP's first post edited for clarity and thread title changed.

Sounds like your auto box's clutch packs have gone, or possibly the selector mechanism due to the pump failing and not building pressure. If I had to put money on it I'd say a pressure problem due to the intermittent nature.

The problem 'could' be linked to the ECU as the auto box may take its shift change info from the standard engine ECU as well as other sensors. I am not particularly knowledgeable on this, but an auto box could get very confused if it doesn't see all the info it needs???

Anyone know if it relies on outputs from the stock engine ECU????

tunning problems, last year after finding an ad in banzai magazine, i purchased a aem ecu from advanced motorsport and engineering, in silverstone, the price quoted was resonable, and they seemed recomended by the magazine, drive the car 100 miles to him for the tune, left the car with them about 1 week,and 300 miles on the clock, picked car up car sounded different but the drive home was nice, but soon after noticed starting the car was an issue, then it failed all together after about two weeks,rung them up and had to get car recovered 100 miles on truck to them, problem was diagnosed as lose down pipe and de cat i had fitted,and Also the plugs ihad fitted wernt burning the carbon off (denso iridium) plugs changed 4 bosch, repair work was carried out also had cam done whilst their,received car a further 400 miles on clock car bck 1 week with intermitent missfire, then not starting again, took all plugs out and cleaned, car going again, been ok for about a month but drive not as original, now took kids to zoo at whipesnade nr luton, got their fine, gearbox now playing up, joined ur web site yesterday to find out the the so mentioned fitter is not an approved in installing these? what can i do about this, have i been severly bumped, are these all tunning problems related to the aem instalation

Shaun you need expert input. Speak to Ryan G, Matt at AFR Tuning or ToyotaGT Ryan would be my first call for serious tuning problems.

Apologies for not warning you about the txt speak in the pm. It's a big no no especially in the Technical Forums.

By the way all the above Ryan and Matt are traders here on the Forums page. :)

box has stopped working all together now, have replaced ecu with standard ecu, problem still their, have contacted aem direct, in calafornia, they asure me that the ecu is fine with an automatic box, the line pressure in these is higher than stock, witch causes gear changes to be a bit more violent, but also advised that if i had been driving the car with low line pressure the car would drive sluggish and would tend to slip alot more, this i have not noticed until the end.

Man is that hard to read or what. From what I can tell your box is having issues? If Mr Turner ammended your gearbox wiring like he did mine then plugging your stock ECU back in will not solve anything. I'm also going to play devils advocate and say that Ryan G probably won't touch your car as soon as he knows its been modified by Mr Turner as he had a gutful of that with trying to tune mine and getting nothing but gearbox issues.

FWIW you could do with getting the car to someone that can wire your box back as it should be then put the stock ecu back in. AEM themselves say that no toyota auto box will be warranted to survive using an AEM. If you've got stock twin turbo's I really wouldn't bother with the AEM at all. Most of my woes with my aristo have been as a result of fitting an AEM ecu.

Did it start by slamming in and out of first gear to the point you felt you couldn't actually use first gear?

Edited by dangerous brain (see edit history)