The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sony C-905 mobile phone, any good?

Chris Wilson

Despite a recent post asking about durable, simple cell phones I had a wayward moment in the local phone shop today when told I could have pretty much any phone in the shop FOC as I hadn't upgraded for years and had a suitable contract that I was happy to extend for 18 months. I decided, under an avalanche of info on things with acronyms I didn't understand and "must have" functions aplenty, which I am unliely to use, that a decent camera function would be nice, as many is the time I have been places and seen some engine or gearbox or car I'd like a fairly decent photo of, but had no camera. I went away with the shop owner dropping a Sony C-905 off at the house tomorrow. is it any good? What's this GPS functionality, will it help me if I am lost in the car in a strange UK city, or is it a gimmick? Cheers. Any bets on how long before I break it....?

Good thread, I was considering getting this phone too, in addition to CW's question about the phone in general, any comparisons to a N95 8GB?... (I believe the GPS to be 'OK' on the 8GB (Not the first N95), but if it's a waste of time on the C905 it could be a swaying factor?)

Phone looks nice and has a nice spec. Not used the gps but we sell loads of these in my shop. Ones we sell have wayfinder on them. No idea how good it is though.

A lot of them have a common fault with the earpiece which they sort under warrenty.

Camera is brilliant, same technology as sony cameras. Flash is a proper zenon flash so pic is clear even in a dark room.

You'll like it Chris. :)

I've had mine since December; am happy with it. As already said, the camera is very good and simply opening the shutter activates camera mode, so no fiddling around with keylock. The flash is very good as well.

Can't say I've had it crash or freeze on me at all as yet.

Oh GPS works well too in conjunction with google maps, although I wouldn't really use it for navigation to be honest on any phone.

I did have a couple of keys stop working, but I dropped the phone and they've been fine ever since.

Phone looks nice and has a nice spec. Not used the gps but we sell loads of these in my shop. Ones we sell have wayfinder on them. No idea how good it is though.

A lot of them have a common fault with the earpiece which they sort under warrenty.

Camera is brilliant, same technology as sony cameras. Flash is a proper zenon flash so pic is clear even in a dark room.

You'll like it Chris. :)

I've had mine since November, and I've just had the earpiece fault. I'm off to the Vodafone shop tomorrow.

As for the phone itself, I love it. The camera is brilliant and the phone is easy to use. I've not used the GPS on mine so couldn't comment.

I've had mine since December; am happy with it. As already said, the camera is very good and simply opening the shutter activates camera mode, so no fiddling around with keylock. The flash is very good as well.

Can't say I've had it crash or freeze on me at all as yet.

Oh GPS works well too in conjunction with google maps, although I wouldn't really use it for navigation to be honest on any phone.

I did have a couple of keys stop working, but I dropped the phone and they've been fine ever since.

Which were the buttons? My 'c' intermitantly works, and I've never droppet the phone.

Which were the buttons? My 'c' intermitantly works, and I've never droppet the phone.

c,9,# all stopped working.

I dropped the phone quite hard by accident.

Everything started working again.

Reminds me of a temporary blackberry fix which was to throw the phone at the floor hard to get rid of an error code...