The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Warranty

SupraTRD83

Right bare with me here.

I bought my Supra 5 weeks ago from a garage with 1 months warranty. A week into having the car it struggled to start and there was a problem with the brakes, I contacted the garage they said they'd fix it, left it with there garage for 4 hours, no joy didnt fix anything as they cant work on these cars, i said ill do it myself and send you the bill , they werent having it and sent me to a 2nd garage, again no joy so i thought i may aswell get it looked at myself, took it for a engine managment check and got the results, i now have had a further problem with the car and there saying 5 weeks on im no longer under warranty? even though they've known of the problem for the past 3 weeks and messed me about. ive argued and argued with them but now they wont have it as im out of warranty. i have no proof of previously talking to them (as it was over the phone) what can i do or am i screwed basically now :(

I personally think that warranties offered by garages are not worth the paper they're (sometimes) written on.

Since you bought it from a motor trader/garage and not a private seller, you might have some come-back legally. I don't know anything about that, but there are people on here who probably do. You could go to Trading Standards maybe, and see what they say about your statutory rights?

they took it back (in the period of warranty) and did not repair it. they have an ongoing duty, despite the time elapsing otherwise they could have held the car for a month then done nothing and given it back to you, you would be in the exact same position. so they are still responsible - time to see a solicitor i says (if it is an expensive fix.)

they took it back (in the period of warranty) and did not repair it. they have an ongoing duty, despite the time elapsing otherwise they could have held the car for a month then done nothing and given it back to you, you would be in the exact same position. so they are still responsible - time to see a solicitor i says (if it is an expensive fix.)

thats exactly what i said mate, if you sent a laptop for example back after a few weeks and they held onto it for a month then sent it you back unfixed and said sorry your now out of warranty that surely wouldnt be right and thats what these have done

The warranty is a financial product because it is an insurance policy. Who's the underwriter? You should find this in the small print somewhere. If it's a decent size insurer, then they'll be regulated by the FSA. If you get no joy out of the insurer, go direct ot the FSA themselves with your complaint and also threaten to take it to the insurance ombudsman. Contact trading standards too.

There are minimum standards of training that are legally required to be given to ANYONE selling any financial products. The insurer is ultimately responsible for making sure that anyone selling their products meets this requirement, so they won't be too impressed at some s**tty little garage tarnishing their name for the sake of a 1 month motor warranty.

A garage behaving like this could/should find themselves never able to sell another warranty again.