The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ben nevis

Dave F

Been invited on an adventure weekend this coming weekend consisting of a winter mountaineering skills course on Saturday and an ascent of Ben Nevis on Sunday. Has anyone done anything like this as to be honest it sounds like a pretty tough one.

I have done a bit of mountaineering stuff over the years and climbed Helvellyn in the lake district in September but never anything in winter so don't really know what to expect.

Any advice (and encouragement) would be most appreciated.

Me and the mutt on Helvellyn summit :)

One of the sides is very, very steep and consists of a lot of scree.

Rather you than mee :D

Yeah I've been looking at some of the pictures I hate heights but love the adrenaline when I'm up high. Been told that the instructors who take us up there know their stuff so should all be OK

Good luck and follow advice. You are brave and if you dont think you are you will be when push comes to shove. I have looked upon that mountain before its a great part of the world. As beautiful as wales. Closest thing i did to that was the easy route up snowdon when i was eleven.

Me and the mutt on Helvellyn summit :)

Helvellyn a few days ago below (not my pic) , I've been up about 5 or 6 times (I hate heights). :blink:

I've been up Ben Nevis twice but never in the winter, 40% higher than Helvellyn so the potential is there for the weather to be much more severe, I'm sure it'll be great fun in the winter though. :)

I did Ben Nevis as the first one in the three peaks challenge so we did it in summer. Great walk up though. Very nice countryside. Took about 5 hours up and down - prob more in winter though!

The memory that remains with me though is that you think you're at the top and then there's about another mile of rolling 'hills' until you're at the actual peak. This prob depends on which route up you take but was a bit demoralising at the time!

I did Ben Nevis as the first one in the three peaks challenge so we did it in summer. Great walk up though. Very nice countryside. Took about 5 hours up and down - prob more in winter though!

The memory that remains with me though is that you think you're at the top and then there's about another mile of rolling 'hills' until you're at the actual peak. This prob depends on which route up you take but was a bit demoralising at the time!

Agree with that. I thought I was at the top at least twice before I actually was :blink:

Well I'm still alive and had a great day getting up an down in just under eight hours. Unfortunately there was cloud cover from about 3000ft up so didn't get any good summit panoramas.

Got back home at four this morning after a 10 hour drive which wasn't too bad as we used my friends Merc S600 of which I drove for three or so hours, mmmmmm V12.