The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the crack with PS3s ?

AJI

Not doubting what you've said at all Mike, but when I picked up the planet earth blue ray in HMV it said it was 720 (i or p I can't remember). What does it say on the back of the box?

Good point mate! I had it on HD-DVD through component on the XBox and it came up at 1080i@60Hz - to be honest I didn't even check the box to see if it was 1080p..? I just assumed it would be and that the HDMI lead would not allow 1080p to the tele.

Perhaps some kind of upscaling is going on? If it is, the XBox is clearly better at it that the PS3?!

I'll check... tar mate :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I got to the end of this one.

Firstly, Planet Earth is quite bad transfer, as I've found... and much better examples are available.

The reason why I think I was disappointed with this particular Bluray title is;

The actual Bluray is stated as being 1080i. If this were HD-DVD (through XBox component connection) it would remain 1080i and run at 60Hz. On the PS3 it up-scales it to 1080p but slows the refresh rate to 24hz.

I think this is why it looked better on HD-DVD than it did on Bluray - higher refresh rate, even interlaced, looks sharper than lower 'complete screen' refresh.... on a bad transfer.. perhaps..... :blink: