The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the crack with PS3s ?

AJI

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought i'd mention it in here for anyone who has a ps3 and big hands, these little things make a world of a difference and they're relativley cheap.

http://www.psu.com/Messiah-Entertainment-to-release-PS3-triggers-in-NA-News--a0002919-p0.php

I've seen those before and thought they'd be good. Play sell them http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5675248/Gioteck-Real-Triggers-For-PS3/Product.html#

The PS3 is starting to wake up after a slow start,

Nail straight on the head.

Finally got one a couple of weeks ago (80gb for £200) and loving it.

Bought the biggest titles of the last year off eBay for 8 quid or so each off Ebay so plenty to play with.

Streams movies downloaded from OSX upstairs beautifully. Lots of Demos available for free to keep you entertained on the Playstation Shop. Home is quite interesting and has a lot of potential, play chess, draughts, bowling, snooker etc with your friends. Race a plane in the Red Bull Challenge and try to get on the leaderboard. Lots of events, promotions, exclusive video content in the 'cinema' etc. etc.

This is all stuff which has only recently been possible and with the games available cheap there's never been a better time.

Overall I'm very impressed with it.

I've spent my cash on GRID and Little Big World this week, I think after playing the KillZone 2 demo that'd get my wonga next.

Grid is a fantastic game. I really enjoyed that. The drifting is too easy though :(

Im going to download Killzone 2, its meant to be really good. Any idea when Grand Tourismo is out?

But 360 or xbox does not have Gran Tourismo 5.... which for me is the whole point in getting a game console ;)

Online gaming with GT5 with the great reproduction of the nurburgring... too difficult for me to say 'no'... :)

I`ll race ya, really looking forward to GT5, especially racing online:)

I bought both the 360 and ps3 on launch and although i think the ps3 is the more reliable and more powerful machine, i find myself on the xbox a lot more than the ps3.

I use both for hd content, with the hd-dvd add on for the 360 and the BD player with the ps3. (granted hddvd is a dead media, but with 20 movies to play on it and others priced at £3 on ebay and in gamestation, its still alive in my house :) )

I stream a lot of content from the pc and both play the files well, and both play pics and music as you would expect.

I think the option of what to buy comes down to three things...

1) what machines your friends have for system link/online play/borrowing games perhaps

2) If you want to pay £40 a year for online gaming (superior though it is to the free PSN)

3) What games you want to play!

While most tend to be multiplatform, the exclusives such as halo 3 or killzone 2 will be a factor.

Personally my mates have a mix of both consoles and i like being able to play any good game regardless of machine so got both :D

If i am pushed, i would say i prefer the cross box as a gaming machine. In fact most games i buy are on that format (gamerpoint whore lol), i prefer the controller and the lack of constant firmware updates.

BUT with very few xbox exclusives left to be released, I would buy the PS3 in anticipation of killzone 2, GT5 and god of war 3.

Plus the blu ray player is a major bonus seeing as buying dvd's is pretty much as pointless as buying VHS tapes, and you'll have to cross over to HD eventually. Might as well get that collection started now rather than later.

So to sum up, much like most top gear reviews....

The Xbox is better but buy the PS3 :friday:

Race a plane in the Red Bull Challenge and try to get on the leaderboard.

No chance, there's people getting 48-49 seconds, I can't get under a minute!

No idea mate. I'm seriously considering one of these though.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/131&cl=US,EN

I've been looking at the G25 for ages now, it does seem to be the ultimate.

2) If you want to pay £40 a year for online gaming (superior though it is to the free PSN)

...and there it is again. Why? It may be, I don't know as I've never used a 360 online, but when my PS3 can play online games just fine I don't know how a 360 can do that better. 360 owners always seem to say this but I've still yet to hear a reason why.

Another point for the Xbox (for gaming)

Microsoft seem to get all the exclusive add ons and expansion packs for games.

That is a big plus for the XBOX, I guess because it's so much easier porting stuff from the PC versions.

I've been looking at the G25 for ages now, it does seem to be the ultimate.

It really is the best wheel out there, I use it for GRID and rFactor on the PC, and it's simply stunning - the feedback is proper feedback, not just a rumble. There's a 6 speed manual style 'box on it, as well as paddle shift and a load of programmable buttons to make it very life-like.

The best money you'll spend on a game after a top notch graphics card.

• 2 weeks later...

...and there it is again. Why? It may be, I don't know as I've never used a 360 online, but when my PS3 can play online games just fine I don't know how a 360 can do that better. 360 owners always seem to say this but I've still yet to hear a reason why.

I can answer this question.

Xbox owners just want to justify why they pay money to get online gaming.

I have a PS3 and love it, i have played the Xbox 360 thousands of times as a lot of my mates have one.

I even set up my mates Xbox as he didnt have a clue, and to be honest i was'nt impressed with the time i spent setting it up

and the quality of gaming is very similar.

Also with the red ring of death all the time, im surprised it has'nt died off

Also with the red ring of death all the time, im surprised it has'nt died off

Has shocked me too, my neighbour is on his 3rd xbox already ! :blink: I don't understand why people keep persisting with them ! you wouldn't put up with it if it was any other brand of good i.e. car/motorbike/TV. "Oh sorry Mr Smith your Supra has the red clutch of death, we can't fix it and as you're out of warranty by a month you'll have to buy a new Supra" would have been answered with a smack on the nose ! (I know Supras are more expensive but the principal is the same for high value items, you Don't want them breaking every 13 months).

I think I've been lucky so far with my Xbox... never had the ring of death and I've absolutely caned it for over two years now.

I'm still not getting the 'big hard drive' thing with PS3 - is this so you can 'store' your videos/music actually on the console? why would you want to do that if you can stream it off the PC? I've got a TB drive in my PC so I just use that to stream films/music/pictures to the Xbox. The Xbox stores is save files, random game demos, XBox live games and downloadable content... to be honest 20Gb is more than enough at the minute.

..and to the guy that had to go out to GameStation and 'pay as you go' for XBox Live... it's only £40 for the year and they do take a credit card ;)

I don't mind paying the great service XBox Live is... and being that you have to pay for it, I'm not sure that makes it a chav console? All the chavs I overhear at work are playing Street Fighter on PS3... no offence, like :D

I'm still not getting the 'big hard drive' thing with PS3 - is this so you can 'store' your videos/music actually on the console? why would you want to do that if you can stream it off the PC? I've got a TB drive in my PC so I just use that to stream films/music/pictures

I'm with you on that, although I've nearly filled mine with demos and games already.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I bought the PS3 on Saturday...

I also picked up Planet Earth on Bluray. So I set it all up (HDMI), and put the disc on to finally see 1080p on my tele - as expected it is showing it in 1080p at 24hz.

I have to say I think 1080i at 60 hz (on HD-DVD) looks better?

Anyone else think this?

I was really bowled over by 1080p in the showroom when I bought the tele (paid an extra £200 to get it at the time)... now it I compared it to the XBox, and 1080i looks sharper for some reason?

I know 24hz is the native refresh rate for the cinema and apparently it's more 'natural'.. but I just think it loses a lot of the sharpness? 1080i at 60hz looks loads more amazing to me - sadly PS3 doesn't have this setting!?

I literally spent a couple of hours going over settings on the TV/PS3, consulting AV Forums to make sure all was right, and apparently it is...

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest... :blink:

I originally bought my PS3 purely for gaming and the bluray player, but i am now pleased that i did, due to the media streaming, and also with the fact that it will play back the AVCHD from my handycam, either directly or from a HD or disc, so a bonus.

Unfortunately its now shown up my slightly older TV in that its 1080i and not p so AVCHD has a slight flicker to it:(

I also picked up Planet Earth on Bluray. So I set it all up (HDMI), and put the disc on to finally see 1080p on my tele

Not doubting what you've said at all Mike, but when I picked up the planet earth blue ray in HMV it said it was 720 (i or p I can't remember). What does it say on the back of the box?