The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the crack with PS3s ?

AJI

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point to consider is that blu-ray has won the HD format war and as a result will become the High Definition standard; HD DVD has been dropped as far as i am aware.

IMO it wouldn’t make sense to buy an Xbox which offers technology which in time is going to be pretty much obsolete. Buy a PS3, its one of the reasons I bought mine, I still play GT5 Prologue regularly.

Everyone has their own opinions. I've had a 360 for 3 years and have plenty of games and accessories for it. Also bought a PS3 at christmas because I wanted a HD content player for my new TV.

On-line gaming does cost money however if you shop around a years membership can be found for £25. Sony's PSN is free but unreliable. In terms of on-line gaming you gets what you pay for.

Media - You can stream your movies\music with both. I copied three seasons of Prison Break to the PS3. It lost the folder structure. I didn't like that. The PS3 does have blu-ray whilst the 360 only has a DVD drive. I have noticed audio and video going out of sync on mdivx videos on my PS3. This may be down to the content and I haven't tried it on another device yet but I got the stuff off a mate who never noticed sync issues.

Wireless - I've never found wireless to be as reliable as a wired connection so if you want to do on-line games\stream movies then you'd use the wired connection anyway.

Storage - You can easily upgrade the PS3's hard drive. You can't with MS.

Reliability - With the 360's achilles heel of the RROD the PS3 wins here

Updates - Both consoles do auto updates. The PS3 does do a lot more updates which can get really annoying. IMO the games are being released too early with not enough testing.

If you have a 360 then the only reason I can see to get a PS3 is blu-ray. For gaming and SD media content the 360 is just as good. If you only want the one console then maybe the PS3 is the one to get.

I got the 40gb. it does everything I need. Im not sure if the 80gb still has ps2 compatabilty but basically tha hard drive is for downloadin stuff from the online store sony have. you can buy games etc then download them and play off the hard drive so obv the more space the better.

The good news however is you can easily upgrade this drive yourself without opening up the system etc or invalidating warrentys i beleive.. its simply a laptop harddrive that you access via removable flap.

the internet gaming is free also, and you also get bluray too which is great. I have the ps3 and xbox360 and i deffo prefer the ps3. but everyone has there own tastes! :)

Yes :), have got it set up in full 1080p on my 50 inch plasma and visually it's stunning. I admit it might be a bit short compared to what the real deal will bring, but if you can pick it up for a tenner like I did it's soooooo worth a look ;)

Agreed, prologue was very impressive visually if a little short, but then its only meant to keep you going untill GT5 comes out. A lot of people dont like prologue though as you cant jusst jump in and become a driving god within 20mins, if you want really good times you have to take almost all the driver aids off and that makes it very easy to wipeout, just like driving a 500hp ferrari flatout on a mountain road in real-life I would imagine!

One thing I've just found that might be decisive in the media streaming issue...

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/01/20/xbox-360-has-divx-in-a-huff/

And in particular :

Meanwhile' date=' Sony supports DivX in full with the PlayStation 3, meaning it’s able to play back any DivX encoded files, even HD material.[/quote']

But, is that something built into the PS3, as 1 big flaw with the 360, is the media update is linked to your XBox Live account, so if you have multiple XBox's, and say want to go to bed and watch a rythmn flick, you've got to import your gamertag, which takes a good 10 minutes on a 2Mb connection...

From someone who has a 20gb 360, and an Elite... The games kick ass though :)

avoid the 40gig PS3's these versions of system have a bad history in breaking down, go for the 60 or 80gig version, believe me i bought a 40gig PS3 early Jan last year and broke down after 1 day, took it back and got anouther 40 gig which lasted just over 1 year then it broke down, could not take it back due to the 1 year guarentee expired, so i bought the 80gig version like my mates and his is still working since it first came out.

there's no difference in them at all other than memory, the old 60gb/80gb one used to be backward compatible with ps2 for some reason whereas the 20gb wasn't but why you'd want to play old ps2 games on your new ps3 is beyond me. There's no performance difference so your probably best just buying the 20gb version and sticking a laptop hardrive in it if you want more memory, its pretty easy to do from what I can gather.

They all have different hard drive sizes and only the original 60GB one has ports on the front and not the back, and yeah the original 60GB is backwards compatible...........but you can't get them anymore :p

If you can get a 60gb for a decent price on ebay then i would go for it, obviously that comes with a certain risk though.

Other than that, get a 40gb. If you want more space buy a bigger 2.5" hdd and stick it in. My PS3 is the 80gb new version which isn't backwards compatible, however i can play PS1 games on it.

Other than the figure there isn't much difference between 40gb and 80gb. 40gb is next to nothing nowadays.

not really being into gaming can you us why the xbox is so much better ??

I should have explained myself a little better really.

As a games console, I think the XBOX is better. As a multimedia machine, the PS3 is better.

The PS3s hardware is better in every respect, and far more reliable (other than the controllers, but that's down to personal preference)

The xboxs software is more user frindly than the PS3s (I guess Microsoft know a thing or two about making programs user friendly)

For online gameplay, the Xbox is a better package, and the connection seems more reliable.

The xbox has a larger selection of available games.

I'd agree with that, I'd also say the X-Box is more established online than the PS3 had has helped get loads of games to it because its easier to develop for, plus you got many PC developers quickly porting decent titles to it and bringing much of their online experience to the console.

The PS3 is starting to wake up after a slow start, the likes of Killzone 2 looks fantastic and should be a benchmark for the types of games the PS3 is capable of producing and more.