The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the crack with PS3s ?

AJI

I'm just wanting to know more about PS3s. I have heard that there are different versions with different memory sizes. Why is this?

Do they all play the same games? Does the memory size make a difference to anything?

I am guessing instead of using memory cards like the previous PS1and PS2 that Sony has now made the game save memory internal.... so apart from being able to save more game positions, is there any performance difference between a 40GB and an 80GB PS3 ?

I am thinking of buying one when Gran Tourismo 5 comes out... whenever that might be.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's no difference in them at all other than memory, the old 60gb/80gb one used to be backward compatible with ps2 for some reason whereas the 20gb wasn't but why you'd want to play old ps2 games on your new ps3 is beyond me. There's no performance difference so your probably best just buying the 20gb version and sticking a laptop hardrive in it if you want more memory, its pretty easy to do from what I can gather.

PS3 sucks donkey balls.

Get a 360 or just wait a year and get the new xbox.... oops did i let something slip hehe.

But 360 or xbox does not have Gran Tourismo 5.... which for me is the whole point in getting a game console ;)

Online gaming with GT5 with the great reproduction of the nurburgring... too difficult for me to say 'no'... :)

;) Im a 360 man but this game could be the one that turn me back to playstation.....if it ever gets released :rolleyes:

I'm a massive fan of the Gran Turismo series (I own each and every one), but I think it'll be a case of too little too late when it eventually gets released.

Microsoft will have a new Xbox out within a year of GT5s release, and I can't see Sony launching a next gen console for at least another 3 years.

I hope Sony sort themselves out, i've always had Playstatons, but IMO the PS3 is vastly inferior to the Xbox 360.

I'm a massive fan of the Gran Turismo series (I own each and every one), but I think it'll be a case of too little too late when it eventually gets released.

Microsoft will have a new Xbox out within a year of GT5s release, and I can't see Sony launching a next gen console for at least another 3 years.

I hope Sony sort themselves out, i've always had Playstatons, but IMO the PS3 is vastly inferior to the Xbox 360.

not really being into gaming can you us why the xbox is so much better ??

They all have the same amount of memory. They just come with different sized hard disks.

If you're going to be storing loads of movies, photos, music, and downloaded games on there then the 40GB probably won't be enough for you in the long run. However upgrading the hard disk for a 500GB one, for example, is fully supported and easy to do.

Guest Superman
I'm just wanting to know more about PS3s. I have heard that there are different versions with different memory sizes. Why is this?

Do they all play the same games? Does the memory size make a difference to anything?

I am guessing instead of using memory cards like the previous PS1and PS2 that Sony has now made the game save memory internal.... so apart from being able to save more game positions, is there any performance difference between a 40GB and an 80GB PS3 ?

I am thinking of buying one when Gran Tourismo 5 comes out... whenever that might be.

Sony f*cked up the release date and delayed the launch of the PS3 so much that when they finally managed to get some units built and sent out to shops, they made a big loss on each one. The 1st-gen PS3s cost them between £600 and £800 to build (depending on which financial reports you read) and I can't remember but I think the RRP was about £400 or £450.

I got my 1st-gen machine on Ebay for £340 about a month after launch, and then two months after that, they were being sold on Ebay for £700. I was very tempted but managed to resist.

Shouldn't have bothered really, the only benefits my 1st-gen model has over the latest one are memory card slots which I've never used, an extra two USB slots which I've never used, backward compatibility (it will play PS1 and PS2 titles) which I have very rarely used as I flogged most of the games when I put the PS2 on Ebay and a bigger HDD which I have filled and found very useful but you can just buy them seperately anyway.

Honestly mate, it's not worth it. Just get a cheap one. The processors, RAM and Blu-Ray drive are exactly the same.

Cheers!

Guest Superman
not sure if you get built in wireless with the 20gb units. I would make sure you have wireless if you get one.

My next door neighbour got the new one at Christmas and his has wireless cos he's poncing my connectivity through the dividing wall.

I happen to have my router near the Playstation anyway so just run a short CAT5 cable to connect mine.

They all have the same amount of memory. They just come with different sized hard disks.

If you're going to be storing loads of movies, photos, music, and downloaded games on there then the 40GB probably won't be enough for you in the long run. However upgrading the hard disk for a 500GB one, for example, is fully supported and easy to do.

i use other devices like cds for storing music and movies :p

Thanks Superman.

I was trying to think how a big hard drive on a games console would be helpful to me.

I would not be using it for movies, downloads, music etc.... as I have a PC with a 320Gb hard drive and an 380 external USB hard drive.

So as long as the processor and graphics card etc. is of equal 'power' across the range then this is all I need to know.

Sony f*cked up the release date and delayed the launch of the PS3 so much that when they finally managed to get some units built and sent out to shops, they made a big loss on each one.

Every single games console, with the exception of the Wii, has been sold at a big loss. That's nothing new, less of the Sony bashing please. ;)

The 20GB PS3 isn't available anymore, and it never was over here, but I understand that didn't come with built in wireless.

Gran Turismo 5 isn't out until september :(

Buy any new PS3 unit, the HD is used for save games, downloadable content (movies, TV shows, games etc) but can be easily upgraded. Play.com now sell a 320Gb HD for it for £49.99 inc delivery and it takes about 10 minutes to install. A 500Gb HD costs £89.99

All versions of the PS3 you can buy retail now have built in wireless and bluetooth. Be aware though that most PS2 games won't play on these versions. To play PS2 games you either need to buy a UK 60Gb version or the 20/60/80Gb Jap/US versions, both you'd have to look to ebay or the web to buy, you can't pick those up in general retail shops anymore.

Guest Superman

ALSO I just remembered: even though the XBox is easier to develop for, which meant there weren't as many decent games for the PS3 during the first year, this has been overcome with a more sophisticated development kit now.

Also, despite XBox360 having a 16-month headstart, PS3 outsold it last year.

And according to Sony's ten-year-plan for the PS3, they'll probably release upgrades (new processor, more RAM etc) rather than a new machine every 3 years like Microsh!t.

:D

Guest blueangel

the ps3 upgrades its content and software every so often via the internet as and when the updates become available, also plenty of games that will be exclusive to the ps3 ie gt5, lil big planet (which is worth buying a ps3 on its own)and plenty of others on the way this year.

The ps3 has less games for one reason, they take longer to develop because they are more advanced than the 360 quicker and not so glitchy.

Also as a recent thread on here pointed out the 360 just keeps on braking down for no reason and develops the rings of death ps3's are far more reliable and if it does break sony replace them via courier within the first year and still help you out after the warrenty runs out.

PS3 is a lot better than xbox in my opinion, I've played xbox a lot during a fortnights holiday at my sisters house and although the controller is better for bigger hands, everything else about it is craptastic. It broke twice when I played it with COD4 last year (it then blew up 2 days after i left)

We then ran out of some kind of credit and couldn't play online untill we jumped in the car and drove to gamestation to buy another couple months credit! it doesn't come with wireless, you can only use Microsh!t hardrives, it runs as hot as an oven, it randomly freezes if you play it to long (which I recently found out is a safety thing to stop it breaking, this obviously was in vain) and now her replacement xbox has just got the red ring of death.......again. Typical microsoft product, only works when it decides to and manages to p!55 you off all the time.

Only probs Ive got with the PS3 is the lack of games I want to play. I got my 80gig in december mainly as a Blu-ray player, and it doesnt disappoint, but Ive only got 4 games that I really want.

I do all my online stuff (COD etc) on the 360. And tbh 40 pounds a year for unlimited gaming etc isnt something I mind paying, given all the stuff you can get off Xbox live