The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People in the UK drive fast in stupid weather conditions?

toyotasupra1980

Just trying to get my head around this, but why oh why do people here in the UK bloody drive so fast in stupid weather conditions on the road such as rain, snow etc... but when its dry and sunny which are perfect condition to have some fun yet people drive so god damn slow, should this not be the other way around????:blink:

No wonder there are so many crashes on the road.:search:

Why is people driving fast a problem for you?

My problem today is people in the pissing rain and nose-to-tail motorway traffic with their damn rear fog light on.

i dont find people driving fast a problam, i am no saint i do drive fast but i know better than to do it in snow and wet conditions, and i also agree with what you said to, you can even add that into the mix, i just dont understand the people here.

Oh Jake, that is my bug bear too.. WTF it's a bit of rain not fog you bunch of sh1t eating mother f0cking t055 bags.
Mad, innit?

i dont find people driving fast a problam, i am no saint i do drive fast but i know better than to do it in snow and wet conditions,
So where are these people that you started this thread about speeding?

i just dont understand the people here.
Here where? On this site? In Wales? The UK? Europe?

Friday morning 7am, ice and snow on road. Very dangerous road conditions near to me and even the diesel astra required very smooth clutch work (with no throttle) to avoid wheel spinning.

Anyway, some chap in an MGF seemed to build up reasonable amounts of speed heading onto and around a huge roundabout near me where the ice has melted....he passes me on the inside of this roundabout to head into the outside lane of the same stretch of dual carriageway as I am heading for. Next thing he has done a 180 entering the dual carriageway, drifted across my lane and off the road to my left....he was driving too fast for the conditions, no doubt.

Next I'm on the motorway doing 40-45, only the inside lane has tyre tracks; the middle lane had approx 2-3" of snow in it (visible where the odd person has somehow gone across to the central reservation!!). Anyway - five minutes later an old white Subaru Estate screams past at about 70-80. He may well have ample grip to put power down but he would not stop any quicker than me in those conditions. If one of the 40mph cars in the inside lane happened to pull out to the middle lane there could have been bedlum.

I would agree that there are quite a lot of people who misjudge braking distances and sensible cornering speeds in this weather.

Editted to add main "road hates": Middle lane drivers, fog lights when there's no fog, people who park across two or more carpark spaces. :D

I had a cracking one yesterday. There is a short stretch of dual carriageway on the A66 near Bassenthwaite that's like a rollercoaster - all sharp corners and slopes. It's great fun in the dry, but only just wide enough to get 2 cars side by side the corners are that sharp.

Yesterday, the outside lane still had patches of snow, so I stayed on the inside doing maybe 40 at most. Next thing I know is a ruddy great tipper lorry overtakes me doing at least 50!

I reckon I've seen more suicidal driving in the time I've been working around Cumbria than I've seen anywhere else.

I had a cracking one yesterday. There is a short stretch of dual carriageway on the A66 near Bassenthwaite that's like a rollercoaster - all sharp corners and slopes. It's great fun in the dry, but only just wide enough to get 2 cars side by side the corners are that sharp.

Yesterday, the outside lane still had patches of snow, so I stayed on the inside doing maybe 40 at most. Next thing I know is a ruddy great tipper lorry overtakes me doing at least 50!

I reckon I've seen more suicidal driving in the time I've been working around Cumbria than I've seen anywhere else.

See thats what i mean, the UK in general, that its a matter of fact that 99% of the people in this country can't drive to save there life, and are so damn backwards its just funny at times, i can just imagine what some of these drivers think before they get into the car " ooohhh its raining, i know if i drive fast enough the tires will get warm and will have grip which will dry out the rain on the road while i am driving, they do that in formula one" and the answer is wwwwwwwrrrroooonnngggg, you lose control and hit a tree to stop, which will result in long traffic jams to see how much of a muppet you are.

Take today for example, i live in cardiff, at the moment its sunny and the road is dry, perfect to have a play around in the supra but not to much:innocent:, i bet you a million pounds every single driver i come across will be driving so slow that if i had a wheel chair i could easily pass them:blink:.

It's the fact that people seem to be either one extreme or the other. You end up stuck behind some dithering feckwit doing 20mph in the rain (with their fog light on) whilst the impatient tossers are overtaking everything in sight at rediculous speed.

I don't know what it is about Cumbrian drivers, but they all seem oblivious to anyone else or any inherant danger. I mean, you see stupid things wherever you are at some point, but up here you're guaranteed to see at least one a day, even on the short trip from the b&b to work.

Last week I had 2 people go the wrong way round roundabouts, countless people overtaking on blind corners and having to jam into the nearest gap to avoid a head-on collision, people sat 2 inches off my rear bumper and various people pulling out of junctions into fairly tight, moving traffic. I saw 4 (low speed) collisions last week alone.

When I did the commute to Manchester, I'd maybe see one shunt every couple of weeks and the odd idiot overtake. Must be summat in the water.

Guest willismaximus

You should have a drive round Bradford, i work there occasionally and it's like the rules of the road have mysteriously vanished!!!!

Red traffic lights - Merely a suggestion, only people from outside Bradford actually bother to stop at them.

Speed Limits - Nope, they don't apply you go as fast as you want apparently.

One way roads - Are you serious???? if a car fit's then you can drive along it in any direction you want (And yes , this does include pavements..... i've seen it :blink:)

Traffic qeues - Just drive down the wrong side of the road forcing drivers on the correct side to get out of your way or stop to let you pass.....

Believe me it's manic and more than a little irritating when some Asian Wide boy in his Audi A3 with Blacked out windows comes screaming up behind you with Bass so loud your own car shakes and stops milimetres from your bumber and starts revving the crap out his car as though it's your fault the lights are on red and he's being held up...... (Can you tell i had a run in the other day and still mildly irritated by it?!?!?!?! lol)

You should have a drive round Bradford, i work there occasionally and it's like the rules of the road have mysteriously vanished!!!!

Red traffic lights - Merely a suggestion, only people from outside Bradford actually bother to stop at them.

Speed Limits - Nope, they don't apply you go as fast as you want apparently.

One way roads - Are you serious???? if a car fit's then you can drive along it in any direction you want (And yes , this does include pavements..... i've seen it :blink:)

Traffic qeues - Just drive down the wrong side of the road forcing drivers on the correct side to get out of your way or stop to let you pass.....

Believe me it's manic and more than a little irritating when some Asian Wide boy in his Audi A3 with Blacked out windows comes screaming up behind you with Bass so loud your own car shakes and stops milimetres from your bumber and starts revving the crap out his car as though it's your fault the lights are on red and he's being held up...... (Can you tell i had a run in the other day and still mildly irritated by it?!?!?!?! lol)

just spin the rear tires, some muppet did that to me last week driving near me like that,green light came on, i started spinning the rears for about 10sec covered and left him full of smoke, i went just as before the light turned red, he had to wait for the smoke to clear and wait for the green light which pissed him right off, i dont condone such a thing but it was fun, and i did not lose much tread either:D:D:D

Guest willismaximus

Lol all i did was swore at the little sod and threaten to bash his little head in which i'm sure would've gone in one ear and out the other so i may have to try your method next time :innocent: