The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got a phone call this morning!!

Havard

Woke up this icy morning, dressed the kids, defrosted the wifes car, gave her a kiss and then sent her on her way to work. I shut the door and sat at my laptop for 5 minutes or so with a brew..!!

Then the phone rings, it's Mrs H....."Hi, I can't get the car up our street..!":D I lolled at first and went back to the front of the house. There was our 58 plate Mazda 6 Sport sat in the middle of our street on the slope covered in ice. I went to the car and asked her to get out (as she obviously can't drive and I would do the man thing and drive up the icy slope :D). She said "I can't get out.!!" I asked her why and she said that the car will slide backwards..!! I told her to "put the brake on", she said "it is"...:blink: I said "No put the fooking hand brake on??" She screamed "The foooking hand brake is on but if I leave it off the foot brake it still slides..!!:blink::rolleyes:

Unconvinced by her story I told her to let her foot off the foot brake with the handbrake on and bugger me, the car slid about a foot down the slope back towards my 58 plate Audi A3 that I had just reversed off our drive to let her out....:( The cars were about 6 feet apart at this point! I couldn't believe that the car would slide from stationary with the hand brake on...WTF??

Luckily in our street there is a grit box that only has about 2 shovels full of grit left in it. I had to go and find a shovel quickly and basically try to melt all the ice around the tyres and create a path for the tyres up the slope whilst Mrs H sat in the car with our 18 month old son Joel.

After about 5 minutes of panic I told her to rev the tits off the car and we just hoped that she didn't slide back and ruin two cars that we both less than 3 months old.....:(

Give her her due she slid for a second or two and the scampered up the slope......:) We'll never try that again though. How come a car will sit still on the footbrake but will slide backwards with both the rear tyres held on the handbrake?? There was ice under all the wheels so I would have thought that the footbrake would have made little difference??

Apologies for the long post!

H.

Wow... I have only one question.. were you still in your dressing gown???

Some of the roads have been nasty lately, well done Mrs H for keeping her head..

I said "No put the fooking hand brake on??" She screamed "The foooking hand brake is on but if I leave it off the foot brake it still slides..!!:blink::rolleyes:

That made me laugh... :)

Woke up this icy morning, dressed the kids, defrosted the wifes car, gave her a kiss and then sent her on her way to work. I shut the door and sat at my laptop for 5 minutes or so with a brew..!!

Then the phone rings, it's Mrs H....."Hi, I can't get the car up our street..!":D I lolled at first and went back to the front of the house. There was our 58 plate Mazda 6 Sport sat in the middle of our street on the slope covered in ice. I went to the car and asked her to get out (as she obviously can't drive and I would do the man thing and drive up the icy slope :D). She said "I can't get out.!!" I asked her why and she said that the car will slide backwards..!! I told her to "put the brake on", she said "it is"...:blink: I said "No put the fooking hand brake on??" She screamed "The foooking hand brake is on but if I leave it off the foot brake it still slides..!!:blink::rolleyes:

Unconvinced by her story I told her to let her foot off the foot brake with the handbrake on and bugger me, the car slid about a foot down the slope back towards my 58 plate Audi A3 that I had just reversed off our drive to let her out....:( The cars were about 6 feet apart at this point! I couldn't believe that the car would slide from stationary with the hand brake on...WTF??

Luckily in our street there is a grit box that only has about 2 shovels full of grit left in it. I had to go and find a shovel quickly and basically try to melt all the ice around the tyres and create a path for the tyres up the slope whilst Mrs H sat in the car with our 18 month old son Joel.

After about 5 minutes of panic I told her to rev the tits off the car and we just hoped that she didn't slide back and ruin two cars that we both less than 3 months old.....:(

Give her her due she slid for a second or two and the scampered up the slope......:) We'll never try that again though. How come a car will sit still on the footbrake but will slide backwards with both the rear tyres held on the handbrake?? There was ice under all the wheels so I would have thought that the footbrake would have made little difference??

Apologies for the long post!

H.

The front had more traction than the rear i guess. The weight of the car, when sloping backwards, pushes on the rear wheel. The front is being pulled on. This makes a difference to how much holding force the brakes have on the road, its like the reason why RWD gets more traction than FWD.

As above handbrake only covers rear wheels so you should have stuck it in first.

Alls well that ends well though.

How come a car will sit still on the footbrake but will slide backwards with both the rear tyres held on the handbrake?? There was ice under all the wheels so I would have thought that the footbrake would have made little difference??

I'm not sure but I do know that if you put a car on an ice-covered conveyor belt.....

i had to drive up a hill in my van when it was snowing last week wheels where spinning t.c cutting the power i hit the brakes and the van was slowly creeping. I thought screw this turned off t.c and just slammed the pedal down the van was spinning on the spot till it got grip and was wheel spinning all the way up the hill.