The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Railway crossing near miss.

jim_supra

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it? Those who've met Carl at meets say he is a normal guy... Then on here you don't tolerate his views. What happened to equality? If for example it was seen that Silver was the best colour for a Supra, 95% of you agreed this, then Carl says, "Actually I belive Black is the best colour." Would he face a ban then?

We all think they guy crossing the rail is a nob. He is a typical looking chav, and for all of us who don't know the guy, that is good enough. But then Carl comes along, thinking outside the box, in more detail and looks to the root of WHY... And he gets flamed for it.

Both sides have a good argument. He may very well be a nob and a chav with no respect for his fellow man, and he may very well carry a knife thinking he is gansta. And for this we don't tolerate his existence. But Carl looks into WHY he is like this, and is more forgiving than most. Just because his views are different, doesn't mean they are wrong.

Carl is a valid member of the forum, he's payed up, he owns a Supra, he engages with the club spirit, but most of all, his posts are a breath of fresh air, a bit of comedy relief sometimes, and just interesting to read. You may not like or agree with what he says, but it all adds to the flavour of mkivsupra.net! How boring would it be if we all said and thought the same thing?!

Let's keep the forum tastey! :D

Again, you wish. I post my honest views on things. If you do not like seeing them, then perhaps it is you that should seek out other forums, or at least, if it affects you so seriously, have me on ignore like Michael, until you find the reasons for your issues with my posts.

Carl, can I suggest you take a real good look at Branners' status on this board?

Would you walk into a pub, slate the landlord, then expect NOT to get barred?

Bye Carl.

Carl, can I suggest you take a real good look at Branners' status on this board?

Bye Carl.

This is why I said crikey Ken- He knows who JB is.

It genuinely seems out of character. To my knowledge, he's never headed toward the aggressive end of the confrontation spectrum in all of his posts.

It's almost like someone's hacked into his account- And before I get my ass kicked, I don't actually mean that :)

As I know Carl a little bit better than most on here- I hope he's ok.

This is why I said crikey Ken- He knows who JB is.

It genuinely seems out of character. To my knowledge, he's never headed toward the aggressive end of the confrontation spectrum in all of his posts.

It's almost like someone's hacked into his account- And before I get my ass kicked, I don't actually mean that :)

Maybe JB was right and he's heading for a breakdown.

Bye Carl.

I think it's pretty big of JB to not have chucked his toys and banned Carl this time to be honest.

I've defended him in the past, and I know his posting style gets up some peoples nose, but like benkei says.. it is a bit of free speech.

The thing that's got me with the last episode is the patronising tone he's taken with JB - this is not warranted and I think he might risk losing any defence he might have been offered by fellow members.

I do think he's harmless, I do think JB's response was a bit knee jerk (very unlike JB in my opinion) and I do think Cliffs post summed the whole thing up - to that point.

Personally I think we all need to chill a bit with this.

If you remember the days of Flat 4 and Supra01 (who are probably still around, abet in different guises), at that time they were 'off the scale' of being confrontational etc. and it took an age to move them on. I don't think Carl is even approaching that scale.

So.. I think Carls last post was kind of offensive, but I've no doubt we'll have a novella of an apology at some point.

Easy on the trigger there JB... even though I know my finger would probably be itching too by now.

It seems since Carl made his way onto my ignore list, I notice more of his posts cropping up. Is it not possible to have the quotes of the ignored- ignored?

I think it was plainly obvious from day 1 his Internet persona at least, is not ok.

But then for one reason or another, some people want to act a certain way online, and be something they are not, perhaps?

I don't get it? Those who've met Carl at meets say he is a normal guy... Then on here you don't tolerate his views.

Quite frankly I find it a little bit disconcerting - that those who have met him in person, find his Internet personality so contrary.

What a fascinating thread this has developed in to - this is a subject I have thought about a lot the last few years after having been assaulted by a neanderthal tosspot while I was at work.

The point with Carl seems to be that he is simply not addressing the true issue here, which is that the chav (and so many others like him) is not guilty of an error of judgement - he is totally reckless as to the consequences of his actions.

Surely this is the root problem with most of our society today ?

How many times are people attacked / burgled etc by people who do not care what happens to anyone else ?

I see every day on the roads people foolishly overtaking or jumping red lights because they don't care that they might inconvenience other people - this filters through to the less intelligent families in society who then bring their kids up to not care about anyone or anything.

I too had Carl on ignore (and no-one else) until this thread - he is a classic example of the bleeding heart liberal minded members of society who have caused a lot of the problems we have today. I used to work in the prison service - the only people you could find in the whole service who considered that convicted criminals should have any human rights were the ones who didn't actually work in the prisons, but were busy making recommendations to improve prisoners' 'quality of life'.

What about the victims of their crimes and the quality of their lives after what has happened to them ?

There is no deterrent these days, so people who do not care will just do as they please - they seem to want to believe they are some sort of gangsters - perhaps they should try living in the slums of New York and Philadelphia and find out how tough they really are.

Back to the topic; there is a lot of feeling towards this guy being a chav or a complete scum bag. No one is kicking the cr&p out of the name of the guy that crossed before him (in the long coat), he just wasn't anywhere near the train.

My thinking on this. He's an idiot, but not for crossing the lines when the barriers are down...

Theres a crossing near me with Wig Wag signals and barriers. It can sometimes be 3 minutes before a train comes past. There exists other ped crossings, which don't even have any control. It's up to the pedestrian to look, judge, and cross the lines when it's safe. He's not a complete d!ck for crossing the lines when the barriers are down........ but he's an absolute moron for not looking before he does. There is no excuss for that at all. Regardless of the emotional state he was in. Perhaps that does suggest he's a Chav, because otherwise, i'd expect a none Chav to have looked.

Edit to add: If he's skipped the track on the East Coast mainline for example where i believe there is a high speed level crossing and trains do travel fast then he is a moron for even considering to cross.. But on your average level crossing with goods trains...

And for interests sake.. Can you except that Carl? I think it's a fair view..

It's up to the pedestrian to look, judge, and cross the lines when it's safe. He's not a complete d!ck for crossing the lines when the barriers are down........

When a Pendolino comes round a curve at 125mph, by the time you see it, it's right on top of you mate. Since your average pedestrian isn't going to know the line speed or direction of traffic on the tracks, if the barriers are down it's a good idea to wait. ;)

Edit: The uncontrolled crossings are generally out in the sticks with low line speed and a low volume of traffic.