The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Railway crossing near miss.

jim_supra

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work at shoreham and there's a crossing there, our driver in a 7 1/2 tonner was waiting at the crossing when some guy waited till the train was coming and just climbed over and lay down and waited to be hit. If he wanted to go that's his choice but our driver was f****d after seeing it and what about the train driver? He stood no chance and he has to live with it.

I think a lot of this has to do with how early the gates are put down, I used to live near a crossing with a station on one side, they would put the gates down before the train was even in sight, then minutes later it would trundle into the station, stop, passegers would get on and off, then it would trundle past, and on some occasions the gates would still stay down waiting for a train going the other way, it wasn't un usual to be waiting around 10 mins.

Obviously thats not worth risking your life for, but can be very frustrating.

Not all trains would stop in the station though. Assuming you're talking about an automatic barrier, they are raised and lowered by equipment mounted to the track further down the line, so they have to be timed for the maximum speed that a train will be doing on that line.

Disgusting attitude. They have every much right to live as you or I. Using accidents as some kind of excuse for natural selection with no feeling for the person or their freinds and family sits uncomfortably with me. :(

why does somebody who is an obvious burden on society and has absolutely no remorse about giving a train driver nightmares for the rest of his life deserve any sort of right to life?

If that train had hit him then all those people on the train would have been delayed while they try and find all the bits of his body. His family would have been devastated when he was handed back in a jam jar and no doubt a full enquiry would be held as to how he got over the barrier.

He willingly and stupidly climbed straight over the barrier and sauntered across a track, a track which is obviously going to have a train on it somewhere due to a huge barrier being down.

It is another example of somebody being unwilling to contemplate the repercussions of their actions. While the rest of normal society can stop and think what their actions will lead to, he obviously cannot and would therefore not be a loss to society.

Disgusting attitude. They have every much right to live as you or I. Using accidents as some kind of excuse for natural selection with no feeling for the person or their freinds and family sits uncomfortably with me. :(

Maybe so. I strive to be diplomatic and fair minded and reasonable all of the time but this guy is an idiot and was millimetres away from serious injury or death to himself and possibly life long nightmares for the CCTV operator, train driver, medics, pedestrians etc as well as untold delays, costs for us all and misery for his close family and friends.

I have feeling for all those people. That idiot obviously did not. What he did was totally avoidable and reckless with no concern for himself or others. Please consider what an accident is - it certainly is not something that is avoidable or reckless.

Just to set the record straight. My wife sat on a coroners jury about eight years ago for one of these idiots. She still can't talk about what they read in the report (at an emotional level) other than to say it was the most grotesque thing she has ever read. Thankfully they found most of the body so at least kids and dogs had less chance of picking up stray bits in the days afterwards. They heard evidense from the paramedics, police forensics, train driver, witnesses on the other side, his mates who were with him and heard from his parents. Without exception everyone of them broke down in tears and many had counselling afterwards.

Fookin idiot and very lucky not to have caused a massive amount of upset for everyone else.

edit - by the way, my Mrs had nightmares as well after experiencing that. Thank God the Coroner did not require them to see any pictures other than after the scene had been cleared all marked with X's and arrows.

Hi extendor,

Really sorry to her about your wife's nightmares after sitting on that jury. I have the greatest respect for people like her who are prepared to do their jury service, and be exposed to the kinds of harrowing details that such cases obviously bring up with them.

Trial by jury is such an important thing, and this country would be a lot worse off without it.

However I still maintain, even though I take on your point about accidents, that this man who could have been killed by that train, is not an idiot by virtue of going onto those tracks at that time.

Yes there are accidents, true accidents, and also sheer recklessness, and there is also a blurred line where true accident and recklessness combine. On a greater scale we can think about airline disasters where a passenger airplane might break up or blow up in mid air. There may have been a long chain of events, some reckless and some not, some accidents and some even wilfull, which combined to add up to the final disaster.

In the same way, in the life of that person on the level crossing, there may have been many events in his or her life which added up to that final disaster. Whether it is willful recklessness, or a suicidal action, or a combination, it is hard to ascertain after the person has passed on. But what I feel we should not do, is stand in judgement and call that person an idiot or thoughtless in not considering others feelings after he or she is killed by the train.

How many accidents were actually suicides and vice versa may be hard to tell, and certainly if your mind is temporary clouded due to stress or God forbid, locked into some kind of a suicidal deathwish, then that surely deserves our collective sympathy in the end, and not our criticism.

But, certainly it can take time to reach this feeling, and anger is an appropriate response when someone dies near you and your life is suddenly affected.

Bad things happen, we do not know why, and life is far from fair, and often some of us are left to pick up the pieces (sometimes literally) of a broken life, or stand shaken by the grusome nature of details of a life brutally terminated.

I am sorry that I was harsh in calling your attitude disgusting. I was probably talking about somthing about myself Extendor, and I am sorry if it caused offence or hurt. I can understand more where you are coming from that one now.

Respectfully,

Carl

Hi extendor,

Really sorry to her about your wife's nightmares after sitting on that jury. I have the greatest respect for people like her who are prepared to do their jury service, and be exposed to the kinds of harrowing details that such cases obviously bring up with them.

Trial by jury is such an important thing, and this country would be a lot worse off without it.

However I still maintain, even though I take on your point about accidents, that this man who could have been killed by that train, is not an idiot by virtue of going onto those tracks at that time.

Yes there are accidents, true accidents, and also sheer recklessness, and there is also a blurred line where true accident and recklessness combine. On a greater scale we can think about airline disasters where a passenger airplane might break up or blow up in mid air. There may have been a long chain of events, some reckless and some not, some accidents and some even wilfull, which combined to add up to the final disaster.

In the same way, in the life of that person on the level crossing, there may have been many events in his or her life which added up to that final disaster. Whether it is willful recklessness, or a suicidal action, or a combination, it is hard to ascertain after the person has passed on. But what I feel we should not do, is stand in judgement and call that person an idiot or thoughtless in not considering others feelings after he or she is killed by the train.

How many accidents were actually suicides and vice versa may be hard to tell, and certainly if your mind is temporary clouded due to stress or God forbid, locked into some kind of a suicidal deathwish, then that surely deserves our collective sympathy in the end, and not our criticism.

But, certainly it can take time to reach this feeling, and anger is an appropriate response when someone dies near you and your life is suddenly affected.

Bad things happen, we do not know why, and life is far from fair, and often some of us are left to pick up the pieces (sometimes literally) of a broken life, or stand shaken by the grusome nature of details of a life brutally terminated.

I am sorry that I was harsh in calling your attitude disgusting. I was probably talking about somthing about myself Extendor, and I am sorry if it caused offence or hurt. I can understand more where you are coming from that one now.

Respectfully,

Carl

No probs Carl. You have a kind heart.

Very nearly another of what the coroner would describe as a death occurring in circumstances the continuance or possible recurrence of which is prejudicial to the health or safety of the public. All sorts of verdict can be given but a narrative verdicy - "Fooking Idiot" is generally left to those of us who say it like we see it. Especially when it is not a suicide or unlawful killing or industrial accident etc.

Hello Branners,

Quoting your post:

why does somebody who is an obvious burden on society and has absolutely no remorse about giving a train driver nightmares for the rest of his life deserve any sort of right to life?

So he may be killed without you caring just becuase he has a disability, temporary or otherwise. Nice!

If that train had hit him then all those people on the train would have been delayed while they try and find all the bits of his body. His family would have been devastated when he was handed back in a jam jar and no doubt a full enquiry would be held as to how he got over the barrier.

So you care more about the people delayed than what led the person onto the tracks?

He willingly and stupidly climbed straight over the barrier and sauntered across a track, a track which is obviously going to have a train on it somewhere due to a huge barrier being down.

How do you know that he did it with the full presence of his faculties and how do you know anything else about his actual mental state while he followed these actions?

It is another example of somebody being unwilling to contemplate the repercussions of their actions. While the rest of normal society can stop and think what their actions will lead to, he obviously cannot and would therefore not be a loss to society.

You make an argument for the culling of stupid or low intellect people, or even people who have disabilites, temporary or otherwise that are unable to make well informed decisions by level crossing or road traffic accidents. Nice!

Carl

Hello Branners,

Quoting your post:

So he may be killed without you caring just becuase he has a disability, temporary or otherwise. Nice!

So you care more about the people delayed than what led the person onto the tracks?

How do you know that he did it with the full presence of his faculties and how do you know anything else about his actual mental state while he followed these actions?

You make an argument for the culling of stupid or low intellect people, or even people who have disabilites, temporary or otherwise that are unable to make well informed decisions by level crossing or road traffic accidents. Nice!

Carl

Carl.. I.. I.. I, I see where your coming from. Good post :faint:

Hello Branners,

Carl

picking up on just one element of your post as that covers most of your arguements. What disability did he have? A complete inability to care about the repercussions of his actions is not a disability. It is the sign of somebody for whom morals have been rejected. I put him in the same league as somebody who carries a knife and stabs someboby else for 'looking at them funny'. Are those people disabled? No, they are scum, and that bloke who nearly got hit by the train is scum. Why should 99% of the world follow the rules and live their life as it should be lived while the 1% dont give a toss and abuse all trust and freedom put in them.

Are you saying if that bloke had somehow caused the train to be derailed and caused the death of people on there then its okay because he was slightly mental at the time?

And i suppose the final piece of this is that I really dont care if he dies. He choose to jump the barrier. Perhaps you should focus your good samaritan efforts on places like Iraq where people are blown up just for being in the wrong place, or even on London where children are sleeping in the streets. Sell your Supra and your worldly goods and then you can be in a position to preach to all of us.