The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Railway crossing near miss.

jim_supra

Just seen this in the news, a video showing an idiot jumping the fence at a railway crossing and nearly being flattened.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090209/video/vuk-man-dodges-a-train-at-a-level-crossi-49bfa63.html

I can never understand people that do this, he was nearly killed just because he couldn't wait a little while longer.

He'll never do it again I bet.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of this has to do with how early the gates are put down, I used to live near a crossing with a station on one side, they would put the gates down before the train was even in sight, then minutes later it would trundle into the station, stop, passegers would get on and off, then it would trundle past, and on some occasions the gates would still stay down waiting for a train going the other way, it wasn't un usual to be waiting around 10 mins.

Obviously thats not worth risking your life for, but can be very frustrating.

I think a lot of this has to do with how early the gates are put down, I used to live near a crossing with a station on one side, they would put the gates down before the train was even in sight, then minutes later it would trundle into the station, stop, passegers would get on and off, then it would trundle past, and on some occasions the gates would still stay down waiting for a train going the other way, it wasn't un usual to be waiting around 10 mins.

Obviously thats not worth risking your life for, but can be very frustrating.

Hampden Park, Eastbourne, per chance? The busiest railway crossing in Europe. Allegedly ;)

I noticed that there have been a lot of adverts on the radio station I listen to about level crossing safety. It's aweful that people perish and are maimed in such a way.

I think instead of the bell, there could be other things like movies, or videos of the approaching train.

I noticed that there have been a lot of adverts on the radio station I listen to about level crossing safety. It's aweful that people perish and are maimed in such a way.

I think instead of the bell, there could be other things like movies, or videos of the approaching train.

Quite honestly if they cant associate a barrier, warning bell and tracks upon which a couple of hundred tons of metal is about to hurtle down with an inherent risk and then they deliberately pass into danger it should not surprise any of us that they get killed. Its natures way of dealing with idiots. The only problem is that the idiot got away with it and will breed more idiots to be a burden to us all. At the very least he should be sterilised to stop the human gene pool being contaminated.

Maybe joking!