The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Happy slapping........When it all goes wrong

The Raven

I'd think he was using more of a boxing element than kickboxing, etc. I know I find it hard not to kick when we have 'hands only rounds'.. Kicking is just natural when you do martial arts.. I'd have definately thrown in a few power kicks too.. Good to see how fast he reacted.. He'd probably clocked them as he was walking up the road and was prepared for the possibility of trouble... Which always help plan and attacks you may need to unleash :D

Only being a pedant here Ben :innocent: but if he clocked them, perhaps he may have changed place with his good lady- or crossed the road?

Whilst I agree about the kicking thing- sometimes if you are partially suprised- it makes sense to stay on your feet and not go for the Hong Kong cinema approach..ie...do a big kick- miss-then fall on your ass.

If this is genuine- I think he did a good job.

Also as merckx mentioned, he may not have punched that hard- but his direct forward approach definately invaded both his opponents space immediately and compromised their balance, time and again, hence they fell over.

Or it's all BS and my martial arts pundit days are be short lived :)

Ring discipline goes out the window in a street fight. To a degree atleast.

Interesting thought Axle. Do you honestly believe that? My old boxing/wing chun guys I used to train with lived for (defending themselves in *cough cough*) street fights.

What we used to practice were streetfight scenarios and sparring techniques. I definitely think they would use their ring discipline, although like you say maybe not *entirely*.

Interesting thought Axle. Do you honestly believe that? My old boxing/wing chun guys I used to train with lived for (defending themselves in *cough cough*) street fights.

What we used to practice were streetfight scenarios and sparring techniques. I definitely think they would use their ring discipline, although like you say maybe not *entirely*.

Ah a Wing Chun man? Splendid.

I think that depending on the situation and the adrenaline dump you get...can effect one's ability.

Only being a pedant here Ben :innocent: but if he clocked them, perhaps he may have changed place with his good lady- or crossed the road?

I wouldn't cross the road... Why should you have to? You have just as much right to walk there as anyone else, and avoiding them in such an obvious way makes them feel tough, like people SHOULD be scared of them. I'd rather be the dominant one and put them in their place, then maybe they'll not act so big next time, saving other people the trouble of having to put up with their stupidity.

Whilst I agree about the kicking thing- sometimes if you are partially suprised- it makes sense to stay on your feet and not go for the Hong Kong cinema approach..ie...do a big kick- miss-then fall on your ass.

Kind of a contradiction there - if you're suprised, you act from instinct, and if kicking is instinct then you will do just that.

It doesn't have to be hyped up hollywood action fighting sequence of doom! :p In close range, a good solid turning kick to the body, or even a front kick to the stomach is good enough... Jump spinning kicks are optional for showing off :D