The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best road tires?

Syed Shah

Fair enough - I have F1's on at the moment. Was just thinking about this as I had read an article in EVO regarding the the long term FQ 340 they were running, and how they said that after changing tyres to a softer sidewalled one (they could'nt get oe ones) that the turn in was noticably worse on the new rubber.

Was just thinking out loud - so to speak

I've used Bridgestone S01 and S03, Toyo and Falken and compared to Michelin Pilot Sports they are useless. The Michelins (as any long distance racer knows) give loads of grip, wet or dry, and they just keep on going. Mine are 14,000 miles old and still have a good 2-3K miles left on the rears and probably 5-6K on the fronts. Now before you say "you must drive like a granny", I've done track days with them, I don't have traction control and I like oversteer.

You may draw your own conclusions.

For info I'm on 18" rims with 245/40 front and 275/35 rears. I will take a HUGE amount of convincing that there's a better road tyre out there.

I've used Bridgestone S01 and S03, Toyo and Falken and compared to Michelin Pilot Sports they are useless. The Michelins (as any long distance racer knows) give loads of grip, wet or dry, and they just keep on going. Mine are 14,000 miles old and still have a good 2-3K miles left on the rears and probably 5-6K on the fronts. Now before you say "you must drive like a granny", I've done track days with them, I don't have traction control and I like oversteer.

For info I'm on 18" rims with 245/40 front and 275/35 rears. I will take a HUGE amount of convincing that there's a better road tyre out there.

Hate to argue, but the MPS's are vot a good grippy tyre at all, they are good wearing, but really, go try some T1r's or Corsa's as Chris suggests. The MPS's simply cant be a stick tyre as they are aimed at the general public. - Good alround tyre Yes.

Lucifer... I can't claim to have used tyres that I haven't, but Michelin are well know in racing circles as the tyre company who know how to combine grip and life. If I want pure track tyers I'll look to homologation specials. It's a road car, not a race car. Yoko A048R are, no doubt, a good track day tyre!

PS1 or PS2 ?

• 2 months later...
Michelin pilot Sport Cups or pirelli P-Zero Corsa. Cup and Corsa are the operative words. Both are worth 2 seconds a lap on a track like Oulton. Wet weather grip is definitely compromised though. tyre wear is far beter than any normal road tyre, which is far too soft for any serious usage. However, they only start off with a low tread depth, so a direct wear comparison with a normal road tyre is unfair. If you optimise the geo for this sort of tyre they are quite awesome and not far off a saloon type slick of similar width. Fit the smallest width tyre recommended for your wheel widths, NOT the largest width, which is a common and disatrous mistake. Both tyres are DOT marked and fully UK road legal. I have used both as road tyres for long periods with no qualms.

Chris, when you use the sport cup's, was this on a supra ?

I asked my tyre guy to get pricing for me but, he could not see my stock sizes 255/40/17 & 235/45/17 on his system so will be calling Michelin for me.

I assumed that you used stock 17" rims ;)

I think most people have a tendency to over tyre road cars due to "fashion" I always fit the narrower end of the recommended tyre widths for a given rim, the stretched tyre is stabilised a lot better than the widest tyre recommended for the same rim width. You won't notice the difference between 225 and 235 on track, or, I suspect, on the road.

If you built a clean sheet of paper, no regs, Supra track car it would PROBABLY be quickest in the dry on something like 11 inch fronts and 14 inch rear (width) rims. To make these work would need a massive amount of mods though.