The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best road tires?

Syed Shah

If you're not worried about wet weather performance then is has to be semi slicks like the Dunlop DOJ2 (or whatever they are called) or something of the ilk.

BFG KD's are another good bet. However in this county having tested them with a single I'd go for F1 GSD3's, I lots of confidence in mine...

Toyos either the t1-s or the T1-r both exceptionally good...

But if ya looking FOR THE BEST dry road tyre!! and not fussed it wares out quickly....thn gotta be the Toyo R888

http://www.japscene.co.uk/products/Wheels%20and%20tyres/r888.gif

Mainly designed to be a road legal track tyre but f*cking hell it grips!

Cheers

Matt

Michelin pilot Sport Cups or pirelli P-Zero Corsa. Cup and Corsa are the operative words. Both are worth 2 seconds a lap on a track like Oulton. Wet weather grip is definitely compromised though. tyre wear is far beter than any normal road tyre, which is far too soft for any serious usage. However, they only start off with a low tread depth, so a direct wear comparison with a normal road tyre is unfair. If you optimise the geo for this sort of tyre they are quite awesome and not far off a saloon type slick of similar width. Fit the smallest width tyre recommended for your wheel widths, NOT the largest width, which is a common and disatrous mistake. Both tyres are DOT marked and fully UK road legal. I have used both as road tyres for long periods with no qualms.

Guest smiffy23

goodyear gsd3's are very good but wear pretty quick too! saw an audi tt get through the rears in 10,000 miles! :complain: pirelli's pretty much the same! if money is no object go for michelins. very expensive but great grip and longevity. assymetrical tyres give good allround grip, directionals usually give better wet grip and reduced road noise.

I'm running some Pirelli P-Zero Nero's at the mo and I'm liking them so far :thumbs: Comparable to the Rosso's I've always run before.

I listen to CW and fit 235's up front and 265's at the back. This has the side benefit of costing a fair bit less than even the next size up :D

-Ian

Oh, for those that recommended the F1s, I have found them an EXCELLENT wet tires, but one problem I have found with the F1 GSD3: The sidewall is too soft. In the dry, you have to run some very high tire pressures to stop them rolling over onto the shoulder/outer edge. A shame, winter tire for me only.

I am running Dunlop FM901s on my supra with great results. They stick like glue after a short burnout you can hear it. If you are looking for cornering performance some falken Azenis (sp?) with the big side blocks are the ticket on dry pavement. The Dunlops I am running on my car are good for wet weather. Plus they last and are easy on the wallet.

• 1 month later...

Anybody else running the Pirelli P-zero Nero M&S's? I'm pondering the purchase as I've read a lot of good things about them. My only concern is their performance and reliability at high autoban speeds. Ian, it sounds like you're pretty happy with them. Any complaints at all? I too am happy with 10,000 miles. My supe goes through tires every 6-8 months, but I have a heavy foot. I will probably fit 275/35/18s in the rear and 245/40/18s in the front. The reviews I've read said that their a little soft in the sidewall and give too much, which concerns me, but their ability in the ugly weather sounds unbeatable.

• 8 months later...

For an all round super tyre, for road and occasional track performance, Bridgestone RE050 is way better than the previous SO series. Its super quiet, something a Supra doesn't half need, massive grip and excellent traction off the line, and a nice predictable breakaway when just as you would like it. If you did have an unexpected 100mph fast sideways event like i did, you'll be amazed at how controlled and easy to correct the car is with these tyres fitted.

Performs faultless on the ring.

Toyos either the t1-s or the T1-r both exceptionally good...

But if ya looking FOR THE BEST dry road tyre!! and not fussed it wares out quickly....thn gotta be the Toyo R888

http://www.japscene.co.uk/products/Wheels%20and%20tyres/r888.gif

Mainly designed to be a road legal track tyre but f*cking hell it grips!

Cheers

Matt

They are cheap, but not in the same league as Pirelli P-Zero Corsas or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. I have them on my RWD Skyline, with camber and everything optimised to suit them, but not a patch on the more expensive options. Not knocking them, you get what you pay for with tyres, still a lot better than any "conventional" road legal tyre though.

Oh, for those that recommended the F1s, I have found them an EXCELLENT wet tires, but one problem I have found with the F1 GSD3: The sidewall is too soft. In the dry, you have to run some very high tire pressures to stop them rolling over onto the shoulder/outer edge. A shame, winter tire for me only.

I was thinking about this in relation to another thread. If we agree (most of us) that the Sup runs better on 17's then a tyre on an 18 inch wheel would actually benefit from a softer side wall ? Don't know whether this is floored logic - just a thought...

I was thinking about this in relation to another thread. If we agree (most of us) that the Sup runs better on 17's then a tyre on an 18 inch wheel would actually benefit from a softer side wall ? Don't know whether this is floored logic - just a thought...

Soft sidewall on a car that is heavy and can generate about 1g cornering force? :blink: wanna die young?

The 17 vs 18 thing is waffle. 18" works wonderful on a Supra when you follow through with the TRD bushes, suitable coilovers, and a decent camber/castor/toe setup. Apart from my own experience, just look how many top tuning companys run 18" and get superb track times. However its its pointless fitting nice coilovers and having cheapo wobbly tyres on. As Chris says you get what you pay for.