The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend Me A Whisky

Animal

Talisker is nice. Black label. Glenn morangi. laphorag. Any good single malt from £25 up will be ok unless you are going for distinctive tastes then go for laphorag, smokey sort of medical taste, very nice drunk slowly with ice..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I know they are spelt wrong but hey its saturday night and guess what I'm drinking?

Never letting you near my collection of over 80 malts!!

Let a Scot recommend you one. ;)

Do not buy anything but a single malt, blended whisky is drunk/bought by people that know nothing about whisky.

Do you at least know his preference? Glenfiddich is a very light, commercial whisky as it is an easy one to drink with very little after taste. Highland Park has a more harsh taste to it, as already mentioned peat'y.

Islay whisky is a great region and distills some of the finest.

If you can get Macallan, this is a good inbetween whisky or Highland Park. :thumbs:

Hmm Blended whisky is bought / drunk by people who don't know about whisky. Sorry Mark but complete b*ll**ks matey. I have some good blends as well.

I don't think he has a particular favourite really. He tends to have a Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich knocking about and I seem to recall him enjoying the Talisker I got him. One of my clients gave me a bottle of Bailie Nicol Jarvie last christmas, which, again, seemed to go down well.

Its a strange one, if you spoke to Linda (aka turbonut) she prefers the peaty ones. I am mixed. I've recently had a green label Jonny Walkers and that had a slighly more peaty taste but went down fabulous.

My personal favourite is a 10 yr old Macallans Sherry Caskm which can only be bought it the Whisky Shop @ Stanstead Airport. Its Cask Strength (58.1 %)and fabulous without water, but a touch of water changes the taste completely. When last in Edinburgh I bought a 19yr old Macallans numbered 129 of 272 and it was £70 and will never be opened.

There is another one which has a toffee taste to it, but I van't spell the name and won't ruin it by trying. Look up the scottish whisky society and they have some great malts to purchase. I'll try to find the email.

;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Animal, go for something unique, and more rare if possible. I'm fed up of the whole so called "premium" spirits, like JD and Gordon's. They have an "unfair" hold on the market I feel, so I don't buy them anymore, probably prompted by a a chat with a marketing guy from the company that owns those brands.

My personal favourite is a 10 yr old Macallans Sherry Caskm which can only be bought it the Whisky Shop @ Stanstead Airport. Its Cask Strength (58.1 %)and fabulous without water, but a touch of water changes the taste completely. When last in Edinburgh I bought a 19yr old Macallans numbered 129 of 272 and it was £70 and will never be opened.

Firstly, OUCH!.

This Macallans sounds quite good.

Hmm Blended whisky is bought / drunk by people who don't know about whisky. Sorry Mark but complete b*ll**ks matey. I have some good blends as well.

Blended whisky is only good for 2 things. Gut rot and if you have to do a operation the crude way.

It is a matter of opinion, mine is the correct one. :innocent:

If you want someing more rare try Knockando. Very smooth, goes down a treat :)

Was also bought some Sheep Dip as a joke, but it's another smooth drinkable Scotch.

Got loads of single malts going back years but into brandy and ouzo now (not together) :D

It's not a single as such....

But The Famous Grouse distillery near Crieff in Scotland do a special 'one of' limited edition whisky that has been married in limited edition casks etc.

For £35 you get a nice box, a bottle of the whisky, a parchment telling you about the marriage and how it was distilled and a piece of the cask with whoevers name you wish to be burnt on to it entitling them to free tours, whisky tasting and lifetime membership to the distillery itself.

Great gift and free whisky whenever you want!!! Can't be a bad thing.

(I am heading over there next friday if you need any help as you can't buy it online from what I remember - I bought one the other week as a present and it is nice)

Gordy :o)

Well, I've picked up an 18 year old Glenlivet. We'll see how well that goes down tomorrow.

Should be good, I've got a Glenlivet 12 and 15 in my collection, the 15 is from their 'cast' collection and has a wonderful taste as it was matured in french oak casts, so it ends up having a cognacy note to it. The 12 is still a lovely dram, both a quite 'mild' to me, which is how I like it as I'm not a peat fan and prefer lighter whiskies

Should be good, I've got a Glenlivet 12 and 15 in my collection, the 15 is from their 'cast' collection and has a wonderful taste as it was matured in french oak casts, so it ends up having a cognacy note to it.

Surely you mean casks dear boy? :)

• 9 months later...