The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend Me A Whisky

Animal

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talisker is nice. Black label. Glenn morangi. laphorag. Any good single malt from £25 up will be ok unless you are going for distinctive tastes then go for laphorag, smokey sort of medical taste, very nice drunk slowly with ice..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I know they are spelt wrong but hey its saturday night and guess what I'm drinking?

My dad is a fan of the more peat'y ones... and pretty much any thing from the Islay region is good. I did once get him a fantastic limited edition Glenfiddich (Think it was a 62 or something odd, cost a silly amount for a whiskey £1600odd), but we opened it to celebrate my divorce and I had a small dram and it was something different that is for sure..

EDIT : Found this... http://shop.glenfiddich.com/shop/prod_vintage_reserve_1977.html (Too pricey?)

Let a Scot recommend you one. ;)

Do not buy anything but a single malt, blended whisky is drunk/bought by people that know nothing about whisky.

Do you at least know his preference? Glenfiddich is a very light, commercial whisky as it is an easy one to drink with very little after taste. Highland Park has a more harsh taste to it, as already mentioned peat'y.

Islay whisky is a great region and distills some of the finest.

If you can get Macallan, this is a good inbetween whisky or Highland Park. :thumbs:

A Single malt that I enjoyed was macallan, distilled in sherry barrels if I remember right. Had a distinctive taste. Also enjoyed Cardhu whiskey and Dalwhinnie whisky, mind you Dalwhinnie was 5 miles down the road and my friend who worked there often brought home several bottles which were rejected because the label was wonky ;)

What cheaper stuff would he normally buy? Probably wise to get an idea of his tastes and work from there so you know you've picked a good one for him rather than just an expensive whisky he won't enjoy as much as cheap one.

No point getting a Benromach 25 year old if he likes an earthy type.

Actually it's a $#@! hole and it rains there all the time :p

PS, some what jaded opinion after growing up there :D

Dalwhinnie is very nice but Balvenie whiskey is oh so much better, can't go wrong with it IMO :)

I've been to Oban and your right, it rained every day we were there. Mind you there was talk of putting a canopy over the whole town, but I think 2 follies would have been too much!!

Buy those little sample bottles of different whiskies, and try them all yourself. And make a decision based on that. That way your choice is based on your own experience and you will educate yourself about the different taste of whiskies and possibly get a little drunk too. :)

Two weeks is enough time to do that, invite a friend/ friends around and make an evening of it. :)

Buy those little sample bottles of different whiskies, and try them all yourself. And make a decision based on that. That way your choice is based on your own experience and you will educate yourself about the different taste of whiskies and possibly get a little drunk too. :)

Two weeks is enough time to do that, invite a friend/ friends around and make an evening of it. :)

I wish I could mate, alas, for medical reasons I can't drink anymore, which is a shame as I had started to get a taste for a nice single malt. And sloe gin.... mmmn.

What cheaper stuff would he normally buy? Probably wise to get an idea of his tastes and work from there so you know you've picked a good one for him rather than just an expensive whisky he won't enjoy as much as cheap one.

No point getting a Benromach 25 year old if he likes an earthy type.

I don't think he has a particular favourite really. He tends to have a Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich knocking about and I seem to recall him enjoying the Talisker I got him. One of my clients gave me a bottle of Bailie Nicol Jarvie last christmas, which, again, seemed to go down well.

Let a Scot recommend you one. ;)

Do not buy anything but a single malt, blended whisky is drunk/bought by people that know nothing about whisky.

Do you at least know his preference? Glenfiddich is a very light, commercial whisky as it is an easy one to drink with very little after taste. Highland Park has a more harsh taste to it, as already mentioned peat'y.

Islay whisky is a great region and distills some of the finest.

If you can get Macallan, this is a good inbetween whisky or Highland Park. :thumbs:

Not sure about too peaty a whisky, but I might have a look for one of those last two.