The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back from Florida, saw a few Vettes

Scott

Just got back from florida and while i was there a Corvette convetion was going on. Had no idea about it happening but by chance we went for a drive down to oldtown during it.

I can't believe the price of these cars, there were fully restored minters (appeared to be mint) for around £20-£30k.

Took a few pics but unfortunately my wifes camera is pretty crap in the sun, did my best though. The one with multi pics is a restored convertible with a brand new LS2 engine in it. Not sure if you can see it but it has less than 50 miles on it. The owner was looking for $150k. It was a full stripdown restoration all the way down to the chassis. I think the blue convertible stingray was going for $50kish.

its strange but all the corvettes already ere seem to want soooo much more, even in the whole crunch. was thinking about importing a C5 from pro-corvettes in the US and they are nearly 10k cheaper than here. worth thinking about if ur after a V8

Believe me, with the £/$ rate at its current level, and by the time you add freight, marine insurance, car tax, VAT, SVA coversion etc etc, it'll cost you every penny of what you can get one for over here but with all the added hassle of importing.

Came within a gnats of importing a C6 in July last year. Would have bought it for the equivalent of £20k, but by the time I'd have got it here and then on the road, it would've been about £30k. That was at an exchange rate of $1.93 to the £.

Today, a $40k car will cost you (give or take) £40,900 to put on the road over here. If you're looking at a C5, today, a $20,000 car will cost about £22,150 on the road. I'd buy in the UK cheaper than that!

Fortunately I found a UK spec car here for a very good price.

:)