The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HYBRID owners your thoughts please.

RICHARDA

Guest Usmann A
These hybrids however gave me readings of up to 950 degrees at 1.4 boost – too high IMHO - but i do have personal questions about the thickness of the I/C that i was using actually resticting airflow and core effeciency (but that's another question)

Again, as I was saying as few posts back. :read:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul .. What's the safest max boost pressure to run with your Stage 3's ?

19 to 20psi ? Assuming of course - that a FMIC & 650cc injectors are in place.

I guess, even though the turbos are good for 26psi .. you're restricted to the stock manifold ?

To be fair I can totally see the point of hybrids. I'm 23 so my insurance is bad enough and it's an everyday car so a big single is a no no.

Here here :) I'm in exactly the same boat and if / when by stock tubbies go

I'll be looking at hybrids for this exact reason.

I have found myself in the unfortunate situation whereby my 2nd turbo is not making boost and is dead. :violin: With this in mind I am most likely going down the route of Stage 3 hybrids (Turbo Dynamics) using my UK's. PITA as the car has "only" 85k but has been v.well looked after since I have owned it.

Due to a strict budget I will not be going down the single route and I also want to retain the stock look.

If anyone who has experience of "hybrids" (stage 3 or otherwise) I would be most grateful for ANY thoughts you may care to share in my hour of need.

Thank you very much

Rich

I had my Uk Turbos "hybrided !!" (if that's the word :) ) by Turbo Technics when they went and personally love them. Met up with Mcanny one night for him to see what they were like and he posted his thoughts on them here : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=17273&highlight=womble

As has already been stated you'll be fine with your stock injectors and fuel pump but if your UK intercooler is in anything like the condition of mine and many others (i.e fecked) it'd be a good idea to sort it out, water injection won't do any harm either.

I too have to agree with GeordieSteve.

I'm 23 and really dont want another insurance hike. The car will soon be used to cover about 350 miles a week (fully expensed :tongue: )

I considered a single for a long time, but i really dont need that kind of power. I rarely get a chance to drive the car in anger in london so 500bhp is useless to me.

I think for someone replacing stock turbos, its a good mid point between singles and stock refurbs, both in terms of power and price.

Guest Terry S

Again guys this wasn't a Hybrid vs Single thread. There is no comparison VFM wise the single kits kick shit out of hybrids. Hybrids do have a place, when you have blown your stockers, and want to keep stock appearance they are great, and give a few extra BHP, and are obviously stronger than ceramics, if laggier. Dont go expecting them to have loads of extra power, or no boost spike because with the internal wastegate it will always have some kind of issue. If I wanted to keep the stock look and my stockers went I would still go hybrid. If I wanted a power increase, lower EGT's, and a much more reliable set up it would be single everytime.

bzzzt - Ian C :D

Many years ago i used to work with a guy who tuned up Mitsi Starions and Lancers (RWD) , we used to fit Cosworth RS500 turbos on an adaptor and larger downpipes , but what amazed me was the difference in performance from just fitting a new turbo !!!!!! What im saying is yes when you get your new Hybrids you'll stick em on and think WOW what was dude on about theres a defo improvement but there would be if you put new stock turbos on !!!!, all they are is an air pump and a pump that spins at 100,000 rpm and glows red hot , so after say 10-7 years its not gonna be as efficient as it once was , if insurance is an issue and you have to stay stock appearing then fine but these will disapoint if you are looking to set the performance world on fire at TOTB4 , look at Gavin L's runs , a lot of them slower than many stock TT's even in a 6spd !!!! and he's now gone single :innocent:

If there is no price diff to stock you only stand to lose a few 100 rpm in spool so thats the facts , you pays your money and you take yer chances

Dude :devil:

Cripes, what have I started :eek:

My situation is that I just want my car back to how it was before the stock no.2 blew and for as cheap as possible. If I can gain a few more BHP in the process for as little money as poss then great.

The cost of changing the turbos is dear whoever I choose to use, I need to make sure this job is done only once as I have given up my career and am a student again (at 32), so funds are an issue.

I have had my car 4 years and cherish it and can never forsee selling it. I drive it about 4 times a month as I have a daily shitter for getting from A-B.

Mods are:

Blitz - Nur spec

Full CW decat

CW SMIC

Colder NGK plugs

HKS boost gauge

Apexi panel filter

I am very grateful for everybodies input and the challenging debates that have arisen :thumbs: but I am now more confused than ever :(

I am not an expert and do not understand ALL the implications invloved with turbo charging so I started this thread in order for me to understand peoples opinions on what I should do.

I guess there is no difinitive answer unless I bought brand new stock Turbos from Mr T? (HOW MUCH :eek: )

Rich

If the finances are tight and you have no real interest in the extra power then I think your choices are twofold.

A. Buy a set of second hand turbos

B. Buy a new set of hybrids

If you choose option A, then you take the risk of them going kaputt just as your old ones did. If you choose option B, then you are spending a lot more money but you will have some sort of guarantee that they will last.

If money was not so much of a consideration, then a budget single upgrade is by far the best VFM.

You pays your money, you takes your chance :thumbs:

Just get them Turbo technics rebuilt. Forget hybrids, they are not worth the hassle IMO. Enlarging the compressor side of a turbo that REALLY neds a larger exhaust housing but which is technically impractical, is not a good move. If you had a J-Spec car i would have the same opinion on hybrids, but might advise for a pair of stock ceramics from Toyota, as the spool up time benefit is considerable compared to a steel internalled pair of units. secondhand tubos, given the labour and gasket prices to fit them, are a mugs game.

Paul .. What's the safest max boost pressure to run with your Stage 3's ?

19 to 20psi ? Assuming of course - that a FMIC & 650cc injectors are in place.

I guess, even though the turbos are good for 26psi .. you're restricted to the stock manifold ?

Once I meet with them next week and discuss the final configuration then I'll come right back to you on their makeup m8

Until then I cannot give these specifics that they recommend

Of course Richard you can just get a rebuild - but at he very least would always recommend a complete overhaul if buying second hand!

As CJ says - you pays ya money...

Cripes, what have I started :eek:

My situation is that I just want my car back to how it was before the stock no.2 blew and for as cheap as possible. If I can gain a few more BHP in the process for as little money as poss then great.

Sounds like you're in pretty much the same situation I was in when mine went. At the time I too didn't have a clue what to go for or where get it done either. All I can say is that if you do go for either a rebuild to standard form or hybrid then Turbo Technics were helpful and gave a two year guarantee on their work which in the end was one of the deciding factors for me.

I have found myself in the unfortunate situation whereby my 2nd turbo is not making boost and is dead. :violin: With this in mind I am most likely going down the route of Stage 3 hybrids (Turbo Dynamics) using my UK's.

he said what he most likely do

Due to a strict budget I will not be going down the single route and I also want to retain the stock look.

there is no need to bring up telling him to go single really when he says strict budget and retain stock look for insurance purposes. he has obviously looked at the costs and knows he cant afford it at moment.

If anyone who has experience of "hybrids" (stage 3 or otherwise) I would be most grateful for ANY thoughts you may care to share in my hour of need.

he asked experience of the hybrids not a comparision to a single. which has been well established is better for power before in other threads. perhaps thoughts could be along the lines of.

'save your cash by second hand turbo's'

'if you can spare the little extra go hybrids'

perhaps a member who has had hybrids would be better saying their experience as a everyday normal user and not a trader who loves everything to be working to maximum effiency to buck. (thats not a dig at traders, that is just what we need at certain times :))

Fair enough on terry questioning the EGT statement as it was too do with the hybrids. dont want the guy to buy them and then have problems due to false statement.

most useful post in this whole thread is probably link to thread where mcanny said what he thought from driving his normal car to womble's hybrids.

not good to see such bad words passed about between people when it was a guy asking for help :( :violin:

I agree with Chris.

Go for a set of Turbo Technics "stock replacement" type hybrids. These are the cheapest option T.Technics offer, definitely not any sort of stage 2 or 3 hybrids with enlarged compressor wheels or clipped turbine wheels. Ring them for a chat. I have had a lot of dealings with many many "turbo" companies in the UK and would recommend T.Technics and Universal Turbos. However I've never had Supra turbochargers from Universal Turbos.

These replacements are running on one of my cars and I have had zero issues with them (been on car for several years now, approx 22,000 miles). As I stated earlier at 1.3bar max, my EGT's have not gone above 800 degrees. Typical running at 1.1 bar daily max I don't see above about 760 (ish).

how come hybrids so expensive? you can buy turbos cheaper for gtr`s. i used to get high egt`s on stock jap turbos, highest i have seen on them was 1050 degrees. but had walbro fitted since and they have come down loads 800 degrees is highest i have seen on mine, also got water injection running 70/30 methanol/water.

would it not be a good idea running lots of cooling mods. think with hybrids its down to cost and value for money to me.

if you can get a set of replacements pretty cheap go with that option, singles seem real good value for money,

Good lord :rolleyes:

It seems to me that hybrids vary wildly between manufacturers. Terry had some corkers, so did I, both pushed 450 to 500bhp but that was with some serious supporting mods - fuelling, intercooling, cams. I know I also suffered boost spikes, and had to get a CW restrictor ring to keep the boost levels down, but I never suffered high EGTs at 1.3 to 1.4 bar boost - the worst I saw was about 920deg and that was at 10otb2, sustained 0-170mph wide open throttle run in 30degrees of heat.

So. You CAN run SOME hybrids with a good power output increase over stock and keep your EGTs down, providing your cooling, fuelling, and other supporting mods are there and sorted and the hybrids are actually good 'uns. What I CAN'T tell you is the spec of my hybrids as the previous owner got them and all info about them has been lost :(

You could run a powerful car that was very insurance friendly, especially with a CW sidemount. 550cc injectors are a must as well, and some airflow fudger to sort out the fuelling, a double decat and a restrictor ring, and an EGT gauge to make sure things are going alright... The cost of going the hybrids route instead of stock replacement depends on how many of these you have already.

Low mileage 2nd hand turbos are chancy. I don't mean you'll probably get shafted, but basically we have had people here get 2nd hand ones and they are still running, and other have had them go pop again almost immediately. It's a chance you have to take - it makes more sense if you do the spannerwork yourself, as the gaskets+labour for fitting new turbos is gonna be the big cost.

As for the sequential system going sproing, yeah, it happens, mostly gammy hoses which are cheap but a bastard to diagnose. I think we've recently seen a pressure tank and a VSV go as well. Good news is all the idiots who have gone single turbo ;) have loads of these bits hanging around spare. Bad news is the pressure tank is an awful job to swap and diagnosing VSVs can be tricky.

As for the infighting, well, I like a techie statement backed up as well, but I'd like the questions asked in a more friendly fashion please...

Right, where's my pruning shears...

-Ian

Guest Terry S

Sorry, you have just let a numpty trading as a tuner off the hook again. The trader made a statement which he couldnt back up. Pure and simple and you have let him off the hook.

The mods need to look at how people post in the tech section.