The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance V Recession?

Tricky-Ricky

Has anyone who has recently renewed their Supra insurance and noticed any reflection in price to the current economic situation? or are they just expecting us to stump up there usual over inflated premiums?

Mine is due for renewal soon, and I'm wondering if its worth doing a ring around to see what the trend is.

My renewal came through at the same price as ever but I managed to halve it and get rid of the ridiculous excess by switching - it's now the same price as my 1.3 Colt

Blimey who was that through and how old are you, 224?

I got a quote of Flux for £1100 last year when I got my Supe' .. Went with sky however who halved that ammount to £670.

If anything it's likely to go up - I read an article the other day where it suggested many people are just setting cars on fire and claiming from their insurance rather than selling them on at a huge loss or being unable to sell them at all.

Naturally it'll be us that has to pay for this.

There have also been quite a few Supra crashes of late, that could raise the risk on the cars and the premium they attract with it.

I doubt you'll see a reduction unless you shop around more than usual, have a standard car, good history and manage to locate a company that's kind to import owners. Obviously this will be different if you've gained additional NCB or any other factors that could reduce your premium have changed.

Blimey who was that through and how old are you, 224?

Got it through Elephant.co.uk

Renewal offer was £590 with £700 excess (that's after a multicar discuont apprently)

Elephant price was £300 with £100 excess.

N/A unmodified Supra with CAT 1, fully comp, clean licence, 5yrs NCB, 31yrs, garaged.

People are definitely shopping around more...

I work for an Insurance Intermediary (we host a panel of insurers and 'white label' well known brands who want to operate in the insurance market). Since Christmas we seen quote volumes more than double for all of the brands we have with aggregators (Confused, MSM GoCompare).

Your average punter is doing around 4/5 quotes now, as opposed to between 1 and 2 last year.

Insurers are also saying that the aggregator market is finding a specific type of customer (namely one that doesn't renew with them) so some are actually looking to increase their rates for customer who come via the aggregation route.

I managed to get insurance on my C6 Corvette this year for £220!! And that's not on a limited mileage policy - I can drive it as much as I want.

In fact this year, we've got the Corvette, my Saab 9-3 and Angies Jaguar X-Type sport all insured for under £550. That includes full foreign use, commuting and business use and legal cover. Oh - and protected No-Claims Bonus too.

Bonkers!

:D

Well i went with Flux last year, because Sky wanted to put my premium up yet again:blink:

Being an old git i expect my insurance to be reasonable, as i have max no claims, limited miles etc, and have a very good driving record, so i get a little peeved at being asked to pay daft money.

My reason for asking, was that there must be an awful lot of people who are now actively seeking the lowest quotes possible, so i would have expected the insurance company's to be be fiercely competing?

I managed to get insurance on my C6 Corvette this year for £220!! And that's not on a limited mileage policy - I can drive it as much as I want.

In fact this year, we've got the Corvette, my Saab 9-3 and Angies Jaguar X-Type sport all insured for under £550. That includes full foreign use, commuting and business use and legal cover. Oh - and protected No-Claims Bonus too.

Bonkers!

:D

:blink: I paid £500 for a well modded Supra, admittedly with all the trimmings AV like for like etc, which is why i broached the question.

I think your focus is too much on how the recession affects your premium, and not enough on how it would affect any payout. Car prices are pretty much in freefall so unless you've managed to hang on to agreed valuation I'd expect any potential future payout to be a lot less than it would have 18 months ago.

I have just done a quote at admiral and done one of them Multi policy's they do, Me and the girlfriend on the supra tt 6 speed and we have a renult megane 1.6, i am 23 and have just come off a Dr10 drink drive ban and have no NCB but the Girlfriend has 4, they have quoted me £1500 fully comp on both cars for both of us to drive, I could not beleave my eyes lol :D

mines £1100 fully comp with 2yrs nc £400 xs with every single mod inc on my single- it will go up £20 when i put in my 6spd gearbox though...but still i'm not complaining....ive just turned 23 a few days ago!!! all with Sky ins after greenlight barred me for spamming there site with too many quotes lol :)

I think your focus is too much on how the recession affects your premium, and not enough on how it would affect any payout. Car prices are pretty much in freefall so unless you've managed to hang on to agreed valuation I'd expect any potential future payout to be a lot less than it would have 18 months ago.

I did mention that i had agreed value, if it wasn't for this prerequisite, i would be able to get insured for a lot less, and could go for whatever company came back with the most competitive quote;)